International Scientific Journal
Thermal Science - Online First
online first only
Research on combustion performance improvement by strut/wall combined injection in scramjet combustor
Strut/wall combined fuel injection scheme was adopted to improve mixing and combustion efficiency in a scramjet combustor fueled with liquid kerosene in the condition of Mach 6. Injectors were placed on the front of the strut and the side wall of the combustor. A series of numerical simulations and experiments were carried out to improve the combustor performance under conditions of different incoming flow velocity, injection methods and fuel distribution ratios. The value of pressure was obtained by pressure sensor and the flame images were captured by the high-speed camera in experiment. By processing and analyzing the basic data, characteristics of fuel mixing and combustion performance were discussed in this paper. Then, the influence mechanism of the strut/wall combined injection on the performance of the combustor was explained based on the performance with influence factors. Results indicated that the mixing and combustion efficiency was related to condition, injection method and nozzle arrangement. The strut/wall combined injection dispersed the heat release, which could reduce the pressure rise and total temperature. The fuel distribution ratio between the strut injection and wall injection is also a key factor affecting the performance of the combustor. These results in this paper are valuable for the combustion organization in the supersonic combustor and the improvement of the combustor performance.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2022-09-17
PAPER REVISED: 2022-12-31
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2023-02-09
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2023-05-13
- Ognjanovic, O., et al., Numerical Aerodynamic-thermal-structural Analyses of Missile Fin Configuration during Supersonic Flight Conditions, Thermal Science, 21(2016), 6, pp. 3037-3049.
- Zhao, F., et al., Study of Linear Ablative Rate of D6AC Steel Wing Used on Supersonic Missile, Thermal Science, 23(2019), 6, pp. 4107-4116.
- Chang, J. T., et al., Research Progress on Strut-equipped Supersonic Combustors for Scramjet Application, Progress in Aerospace Sciences, 103 (2018), pp. 1-30.
- Yang, P., et al., Experimental Study on the Influence of the Injection Structure on Solid Scramjet Performance, Acta Astronautica, 188 (2021), pp. 229-238.
- Qin J., et al., Thermal Management Method of Fuel in Advanced Aeroengines, Energy, 49 (2013), pp. 459-468.
- Huang, W., et al., Survey on the Mode Transition Technique in Combined Cycle Propulsion Systems, Aerospace Science and Technology, 39 (2014), pp. 685-691.
- Chen M. T., et al., Study on Influence of Forced Vibration of Cooling Channel on Flow and Heat Transfer of Hydrocarbon Fuel at Supercritical Pressure, Thermal Science, 26 (2021), 4B, pp. 3463-3476.
- Zhang S. L., et al., Thermal Management of Fuel in Advanced Aeroengine in View of Chemical Recuperation, Energy, 77 (2014), pp. 201-211.
- Feng G. J., et al., Diffusion Characteristics of Liquid Kerosene with Heat Transfer in a Strut-equipped Supersonic Combustor, Acta Astronautica, 203(2023), pp. 246-251.
- Kummitha, O. R., et al., Hydrogen Fueled Scramjet Combustor with a Wavy-Wall Double Strut Fuel Injector, Fuel, 304 (2021), pp. 121425.
- Zhu, L., et al., Effects of Spray Angle Variation on Mixing in a Cold Supersonic Combustor with Kerosene Fuel, Acta Astronautica, 144 (2018), pp. 1-11.
- Vijayakumar, V., et al., Computational and Experimental Study on Supersonic Film Cooling for Liquid Rocket Nozzle Applications, Thermal Science, 19(2015), 1, pp.49-58.
- Liu, C. Y., et al., Dynamics and Mixing Mechanism of Transverse Jet Injection into a Supersonic Combustor with Cavity Flameholder, Acta Astronautica, 136 (2017), pp. 90-100.
- Athithan, A.A., et al., Numerical Investigations on the Influence of Double Ramps in a Strut Based Scramjet Combustor, International Journal of Engine Research, 9 (2022), pp. 332-341.
- Athithan A.A., et al., The Combustion Characteristics of Double Ramps in a Strut-based Scramjet Combustor, Energies, 14 (2021) 4, pp. 831-840.
- Huang, W., Investigation on the Effect of Strut Configurations and Locations on the Combustion Performance of a Typical Scramjet Combustor, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 29 (2015), 12, pp. 5485-5496.
- Zhu, S. H., et al., Experimental Study on Flame Transition in a Two-Stage Struts Dual-Mode Scramjet, Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 30 (2017), 5, pp. 1-7.
- Bao, W., et al., Dynamic Characteristics of Combustion Mode Transitions in a Strut-Based Scramjet Combustor Model, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part G Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 29 (2013), 5, pp. 1244-1248.
- Hu, J. C., et al., Flame Transition in Dual-Mode Scramjet Combustor with Oxygen Pilot Ignition, Journal of Propulsion and Power, 30 (2014), 4, pp.1103-1107.
- Zhang, J. L., et al., Flame Oscillation Characteristics in a Kerosene Fueled Dual Mode Combustor Equipped with Thin Strut Flameholder, Acta Astronautica, 161 (2019), pp. 222-233.
- Zhong, F. Q., et al., Performance of Supersonic Model Combustors with Staged Injections of Supercritical Aviation Kerosene, Acta Mechanica Sinica, 26 (2010), 5, pp. 661-668.
- Kobayashi, K., et al., Performance of a Dual-Mode Combustor with Multistaged Fuel Injection, Journal of Propulsion and Power, 22 (2006), 3, pp. 518-526.
- Manna, P., et al., Liquid-Fueled Strut-Based Scramjet Combustor Design: A Computational Fluid Dynamics Approach, Journal of Propulsion and Power, 24 (2008), 2, pp. 274-281.
- Desikan, S. L., Kurian, J., Strut-Based Gaseous Injection into a Supersonic Stream, Journal of Propulsion and Power, 22 (2006), 2, pp. 474-477.
- Qiu, H.C., et al., Research on Combustion Performance Optimization in Scramjet Combustor with Strut/Wall Combined Fuel Injection Scheme, Aerospace Science and Technology, 109(2020), pp. 106376.
- Zhang, J.L., et al., Flame Interaction Characteristics in Scramjet Combustor Equipped with Strut /Wall Combined Fuel Injectors, Combustion Science and Technology, 192(2019), 10, 1863-1886.
- Smirnov, N., et al., Accumulation of Errors in Numerical Simulations of Chemically Reacting Gas Dynamics, Acta Astronautica, 117 (2015), pp. 338-355.
- Smirnov, N., et al., Hydrogen Fuel Rocket Engines Simulation Using LOGOS Code, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 39 (2014), 20, pp. 10748-10756.