International Scientific Journal
Thermal Science - Online First
online first only
Investigation on micro-flame structure of AP composite propellant under wide pressure range
This present work proposes a method to exactly evaluate the thermal process of Ammonium perchlorate/Hydroxyl-terminated polybutadiene (AP/HTPB) propellant. The three-dimensional propellant pack is generated by the Monte-Carlo method to obtain a representative sandwich model on the base of the dual-slicing technique. The AP monopropellant flame height H1, the primary diffusion flame height H2 and the final diffusion flame height H3 are jointly determined by the temperature and component distributions of the gas phase thermodynamic field, which is more accurate to capture this complicated combustion field distribution of the gas phase comparing with earlier reported studies. Peclet number and Damkohler number are also introduced to quantitatively investigate the influence mechanism of chemical kinetics and diffusion mixing process of components on this micro-flame structure under wide pressure range (0.69MPa-20.7MPa). Further, based on the criterion of whether the premixed flow above the burning surface can absorb heat flux continuously from the diffusion flame to approach adiabatic flame temperature, the diffusion flame is divided into two regions in detail: (1) flame front and (2) trailing diffusion flame.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2022-11-14
PAPER REVISED: 2023-01-13
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2023-01-14
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2023-03-11
- Chaturvedi S, Dave P N. Solid propellants: AP/HTPB composite propellants. Arabian Journal of Chemistry, 2019,12(8): 2061 2068.
- Beckstead M W, Derr R L, Price C F. A Model of Composite Solid Propellant Combustion Based on Multiple Flames. AIAA Journal, 1970, 8(12): 2200 2207.
- Price E W, Sambamurthi J K, Sigman R K, et al. Combustion of ammonium perchlorate polymer sandwiches. Combustion and Flame, 1986, 63(3):381 413.
- Gross M L, Hedman T D, Son S F, et al. Coupling micro and meso scale combustion models of AP/HTPB propellants. Combustion and Flame, 2013, 160(5):982 992.
- Chorpening B T, Knott G M, Brewster M Q. Flame structure and burning rate of ammonium perchlorate/hydroxyl terminated polybutadiene propellant sandwiches. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 2000, 28(1):847 853.
- Powling J. Experiments relating to the combustion of ammonium perchlorate based propellants. Symposium (International) on Combustion, 1967, 11(1):447 456.
- Brown W E, Kennedy J R, Netzer D W. An Experimental Study of Ammonium Perchlorate Binder Sandwich Combustion in Standard and High Acceleration Environments. Combustion Science and Technology, 1972, 6(4):211 222.
- Price E W. Review of sandwich burning. 30th JANNAF Combustion Subcommittee Meeting, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA, USA, November 15 19, 1993.
- Ramakrishna P A, Paul P J, Mukunda H S. Sandwich propellant combustion: Modeling and experimental comparison. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 2002, 29(2):2963 2973.
- Boggs T L, Zurn D E. The deflagration of ammonium perchlorate polymeric binder sandwich models. Combustion Science and Technology, 1971, 4(1): 279 292.
- Knott G M, Brewster M Q. Modeling the Combustion of Propellant Sandwiches. Combustion Science and Technology, 2002, 174(4): 61 90.
- Jackson T L, Buckmaster J, Hoeflinger J. Three dimensional flames supported by heterogeneous propellants. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 2000, 28(1):895 902.
- Knott G, Jackson T, Buckmaster J. Random packing of heterogeneous propellants. AIAA,2001,39(4): 678--86.
- Massa L, Jackson T L, Short M. Numerical solution of three--dimensional heterogeneous solid propellants. Combustion Theory and Modelling, 2003, 7(3):579--602.
- Vijay C, Raguvarun K, Bharghav K V S, et al. Use of X‐Ray Computed Tomography for Validation of Random Packs of Composite Solid Propellants. Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics, 2019, 44(7): 915--922.
- Vijay C, Ramakrishna P A. Estimation of burning characteristics of AP/HTPB composite solid propellant using a sandwich model. Combustion and Flame, 2020, 217(9):321--330.
- Miller R. Effects of particle size on reduced smoke propellant ballistics. 18th Joint Propulsion Conference, Cleveland, Ohio, June 21--23,1982.
- Ishitha K, Ramakrishna P A. Studies on the role of iron oxide and copper chromite in solid propellant --combustion. Combustion and Flame, 2014, 161(10):2717--2728.
- Kubota N, Miyazaki S. Temperature Sensitivity of Burning Rate of Ammonium Perchlorate Propellants. Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics, 2010, 12(6):183--187.
- BOGGS T L. Deflagration rate, surface structure, and subsurface profile of self--deflagrating single crystals of ammonium perchlorate. AIAA Journal, 1970, 8(5):867--867.
- Hightower J D, Price E W. Combustion of ammonium perchlorate. Symposium on Combustion, 1967, 11(1):463--472
- Buckmaster J, Chen M, Jackson T, et al. Numerical modeling of three--dimensional heterogeneous propellant combustion. 40th Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, Nevada, January 14--17, 2002.
- S. Varun kumar, M. Zaved and H. S. Mukunda, A novel approach to composite propellant combustion modeling with a new heterogeneous quasi one--dimensional (HeQu1--D) framework, Combustion and Flame, 173, pp. 411 -- 424, 2016.
- S. VarunKumar and H.S.Mukunda, Aluminized composite propellant combustion modeling with heterogeneous quasi--one dimensional (HeQ1--D) approach, Combustion and Flame, 192, pp. 50--70, 2018.
- Ramakrishna P A, Paul P J, Mukunda H S, et al. Combustion of sandwich propellant at low pressures. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 2005, 30(2):2097--2104.
- Hedman T D, Reese D A, Cho K Y, et al. An experimental study of the effects of catalysts on an ammonium perchlorate based composite propellant using 5 kHz PLIF. Combustion and Flame, 2012, 159(4):1748--1758.
- Hedman T D, Groven L J, Lucht R P, et al. The effect of polymeric binder on composite propellant flame structure investigated with 5 kHz OH PLIF. Combustion and Flame, 2013, 160(8):1531--15
- Zou X, Wang N, Wang C, et al. Investigation on the microscale combustion characteristics of AP/HTPB propellant under wide pressure range. Fuel, 2021, 306: 121652.
- Chorpening B T, Brewster M Q. Emission imaging of AP/HTPB propellant sandwich combustion. Combustion Science and Technology, 2002, 174(4): 39--60.
- Prasad K, Price E W. A numerical study of the leading edge of laminar diffusion flames. Combustion and Flame, 1992, 90(2):155--173.