International Scientific Journal
Thermal Science - Online First
online first only
Thermodynamic analysis and optimization design of cooling plate with multiple channels for linear synchronous motor
A liquid cooling plate structure with multiple channels is proposed for linear synchronous motor in this paper. Firstly, a conjugate heat dissipation model is established, and coupling analysis with fluid and temperature fields is performed by finite volume method with different channel numbers and section shapes. The simulation results show that, the cooling capacity of proposed cooling plate is observably improved, especially for 6-channels cooling plate with elliptical section. Afterwards, adopting boundary optimization by quadratic approximation algorithm, the section dimensions of 6-channels plate with elliptical section are further optimized to realize a trade-off with heat transfer coefficient and pump power. The optimized scheme can improve heat transfer coefficient by 33.03% and reduce the pressure drop by 85.37% compared with original scheme.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2022-11-11
PAPER REVISED: 2022-12-19
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2022-12-26
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2023-03-11
- Boldea, I., et al., Linear Electric Machines, Drives and MAGLEVs: an Overview, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 65 (2018), 9, pp. 7504-7515. DOI 10.1109/TIE. 2017.2733492.
- Elwell, R. J., et al., Thermal Management Techniques for an Advanced Linear Motor in an Electric Aircraft Recovery System, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, 37 (2001), 1, pp. 476-479. DOI 10.3390/en13112914.
- Chai, F., et al., Temperature Field Accurate Modeling and Cooling Performance Evaluation of Direct-Drive Outer-Rotor Air-Cooling In-Wheel Motor, Energies, 9 (2016), no. 818. DOI 10.3390/en9100818.
- Park, J., et al., Enhancement of Cooling Performance in Traction Motor of Electric Vehicle Using Direct Slot Cooling Method, Applied Thermal Engineering, 217 (2022), no. 119082. DOI 10.1016/j.applthermaleng. 2022.119082
- Ha, T., et al., Experimental Study on Behavior of Coolants, Particularly the Oil-Cooling Method, in Electric Vehicle Motors Using Hairpin Winding, Energies, 14 (2021), no. 956. DOI 10.3390/en14040956.
- Jang, C., et al., Heat Transfer Analysis and Simplified Thermal Resistance Modeling of Linear Motor Driven Stages for SMT Applications, IEEE Transactions on Components and Packaging Technologies, 26 (2003), 3, pp. 532-540. DOI 10.1109/TCAPT.2003.817643.
- Pei, Z., et al., Temperature Field Calculation and Water-Cooling Structure Design of Coreless Permanent Magnet Synchronous Linear Motor, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 68 (2021), 2, pp. 1065-1076. DOI 10.1109/TIE.2020.2967707.
- Pan, D., et al., Modeling and Optimization of Air-Core Monopole Linear Motor Based on Multiphysical Fields, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 65 (2018), 12, pp. 9814-9824. DOI 10.1109/TIE.2018.2808898.
- Lu, Q., et al., Modeling and Investigation of Thermal Characteristics of a Water-Cooled Permanent-Magnet Linear Motor, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 51 (2015), 3, pp. 2086-2096. DOI 10.1109/TIA.2014.2365198.
- Xi, L., et al., Study on flow and heat transfer characteristics of cooling channel flied with x-shaped truss array, Thermal science, OnLine-First (2022). DOI 10.2298/TSCI220302110X.
- Zehforoosh, A., et al., Numerical investigation of pressure drop reduction without surrendering heat transfer enhancement in partially porous channel, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 49 (2010), pp. 1649-1662. DOI 10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2010.05.016.
- Hajmohammadi, M.R., et al., Thermal performance improvement of microchannel heat sinks by utilizing variable cross-section microchannels filled with porous media. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 126 (2021), no. 105360. DOI 10.1016/ j.icheatmasstransfer.2021.105360.
- Lu, S., et al., A comparative analysis of innovative microchannel heat sinks for electronic cooling, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 76 (2016), pp. 271-284. DOI 10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2016.04.024.
- Hung, T.C., et al., Thermal performance analysis of porous microchannel heat sinks with different configuration designs, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 66 (2013), pp. 235-243. DOI 10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2013.07.019.
- Powell, M.J.D. The BOBYQA algorithm for bound constrained optimization without derivatives, Report DAMTP 2009/NA06, Cambridge, UK, 2009, pp. 26-46.