International Scientific Journal
Thermal Science - Online First
online first only
Hydrodynamic study of a solar chimney power plant for better power production
Solar chimney power plants consist of three main parts: collector, chimney, and turbine. The biggest flow losses of these stations are in the entrance area of the chimney. In this study, three different shapes of the chimney entrance area were proposed in order to reduce the flow losses. The simulation process was done using the Fluent 2020. The change of the radius of the shapes in the chimney entrance was studied on the percentage of increase in the energy available in the chimney for cases 1, 2, and 3 compared to the available energy for case 0. The results showed that the highest percentage of energy increase available in the chimney was 55%, 54%, and 4% for cases 1, 3, and 2, respectively. Case 3 is the optimal case while case 2 is weak and unhelpful compared to the rest of the cases.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2022-08-19
PAPER REVISED: 2022-10-12
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2023-02-05
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2023-03-11
- Kreith, F. and Goswami, D.Y., Handbook of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy. CRC Press Taylor & Francis, New York, USA, 2016.
- Kiwan, S., et al., Solar chimney power-water distillation plant (SCPWDP), Desalination, 445(2008), pp.105-114. doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2018.08.006
- Schlaich, J. and Schiel, W., Solar Chimneys, Encyclopedia of Physical Science and Technology, 3rd Ed., Academic Press, London, UK, 2000.
- Bernardes, M. A. d. S, Solar Chimney Power Plants -Developments and Advancements, in Solar Energy, (ED. Rugescu, R.), IntechOpen, Rijeka, Croatia, 2010. doi.org/10.5772/8068
- Schlaich, J., The Solar Chimney: Electricity from the Sun, Edition Axel Menges, Stuttgart, German, 1996.
- Ming, T., et al., Chimney shape numerical study for solar chimney power generating systems, Int. J. Energy Res., 37(2011), 4, pp. 310-322. doi.org/10.1002/er.1910
- Koonsrisuk, A., Mathematical modeling of sloped solar chimney power plants, Energy, 47(2012), pp.582-589. doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2012.09.039
- Cao, F., et al., Numerical simulation and comparison of conventional and sloped solar chimney power plants: the case for Lanzhou, The Scientific World Journal, 2013(2013), pp.1-8. doi.org/10.1155/2013/852864
- Fasel, Hermann F., et al., CFD Analysis for Solar Chimney Power Plants, Solar Energy, 98(2013), pp. 12-22. doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2013.08.029
- Ayadi, A., et al., Experimental and numerical study of the impact of the collector roof inclination on the performance of a solar chimney power plant, Energy and Buildings, 139(2017), pp.263-276. doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2017.01.047
- Ayadi, A., et al., Effect of the number of turbine blades on the air flow within a solar chimney power plant, Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. A: J. Power Energy, 232(2017), 4, pp.425-436. doi.org/10.1177/0957650917733128
- Ayadi, A., et al., A computational and an experimental study on the effect of the chimney height on the thermal characteristics of a solar chimney power plant, Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. E: J. Process Mech. Eng., 232(2017), 4, pp.503-516. doi.org/10.1177/0954408917719776
- Hassan, A., et al., Numerical investigation on performance of solar chimney power plant by varying collector slope and chimney diverging angle." Energy, 142(2018), pp. 411-425. doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2017.10.047
- Fluri, T. P., and Von Backström, T.W., Performance analysis of the power conversion unit of a solar chimney power plant, Solar Energy, 82(2018), pp.999-1008. doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2008.05.001
- Bouabidi, A., et al., Study of solar chimney in Tunisia: effect of the chimney configurations on the local flow characteristics, Energy and Buildings, 169(2018), pp.27-38. doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2018.01.049
- Nasraoui, H., et al., Numerical and experimental study of the aerothermal characteristics in solar chimney power plant with hyperbolic chimney shape. Arab. J. Sci. Eng., 44(2019), pp.7491-7504. doi.org/10.1007/s13369-019-03821-x
- Jawad, I. N., et al., Graphical user interface (GUI) code for solar tower power plant performance calculation, Basrah J. for Eng. Sciences, 21(2021), 1, pp.8-14.
- Cuce, E., et al., Impacts of ground slope on main performance figures of solar chimney power plants: A Comprehensive CFD research with experimental validation." International Journal of Photoenergy, 2021(2021), pp. 1-11. doi.org/10.1155/2021/6612222
- Sundararaj, M., et al., Parametric optimization of novel solar chimney power plant using response surface methodology, Results in Engineering, 16(2022), p. 100633. doi.org/10.1016/j.rineng.2022.100633
- Saad, M., et al., Performance enhancement of solar updraft tower plant using parabolic chimney profile configurations: A numerical analysis, Energy Reports, 8(2022), pp. 4661-4671. doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.4025873
- Xue, H., and Esmaeilpour, M., Power generation using solar energy: the effect of curved-guide vanes on the performance of a turbine in a solar chimney power plant, Solar Energy, 247(2022), pp. 468-84. doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2022.10.052
- Bayareh, M., Numerical simulation of a solar chimney power plant in the southern region of Iran, Energy Equip. Sys., 5(2017), 4, pp. 468-84.
- Bayareh, M., Exergy analysis of solar chimney power plants: A review, Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments, 53(2022), 102568. doi.org/10.1016/j.seta.2022.102568.
- Qasim, R. M., and Jabaar, T. A., An analytic study of the effect of a vane on the hydraulic field around a cylinder, INCAS Bull, 13(2021), 3, pp.123-139. doi.org/10.13111/2066-8201.2021.13.3.11
- Dakhil, S. F., et al., Numerical study of the initial pressure and diameters ratio effect on the jet ejector performance, Basrah J. for Eng. Science, 14(2014), 1, pp.122-135.
- Cengel, Y.A. and Cimbala, J.M. Fluid Mechanics. Fundamentals and Applications. 3rd Ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, 2014.