International Scientific Journal
TEMPERATURE EFFECT ON THERMAL-HYDRAULIC PERFORMANCE OF ONE-PASS COUNTER-CURRENT FLOW SHELL-AND-TUBE HEAT EXCHANGER AND UPON ITS DESIGN
A methodology of design and analysis of thermal-hydraulic performance for a single pass 1-1 counter-current flow shell and tube heat exchanger (CCFSTHE) TEMA E-type has been established. The temperature effect on the thermo-physical properties of flowing fluids and on the overall coefficient of heat transfer along the heat exchanger is incorporated in our approach, as well as the coupling between different thermal and hydraulic parameters. It has been noted that the correction factor (F) in the HAUSBRAND formula is not included. Our method brings us to a new dimensionless quantity (MKA) which links the calculation parameters of the heat exchanger to the thermo-physical properties. This dimensionless quantity relates the number of transfer units to the heat flow ratio, R. The results based on our models show a pronounced deviation compared to the model reported in the literature (number of transfer units method). This deviation may be related to a temperature effect not included in the literature model. It has been shown that the results derived from our models are in a good agreement with experimental data. Our new method, named MKA - method, could be a useful tool for theoretical and experimental studies of the design and analysis of the single pass 1-1 CCFSTHE thermal and hydraulic performance for 0 ≤ R ≤1.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2021-07-10
PAPER REVISED: 2021-10-17
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2021-10-30
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2022-01-02
, VOLUME 26
, ISSUE Issue 5
, PAGES [3803 - 3815]
- Yang, J., et al., Optimization of shell-and-tube heat exchangers conforming to TEMA standards with designs motivated by constructal theory, Energy Convers Manage, 78 (2014), pp. 468 - 476.
- Wang, Y., et al., Experimental study on the heat transfer and resistance characteristics of pin-fin tube, Thermal Science, 25(2021), 1A, pp. 59-72.
- Xinting. W., et al., Numerical analysis and optimization study on shell-side performances of a shell and tube heat exchanger with staggered baffles, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 124 (2018) pp. 247-259.
- Ponce-Ortega, J. M., et al. Use of genetic algorithms for the optimal design of shell-and-tube heat exchangers, Appl Therm Eng, 29 (2009), pp. 203 - 211.
- Markowski, M., et al. Identification of the influence of fouling on the heat recovery in a network of shell and tube heat exchangers, Appl Energy, 102 (2013), pp. 755 - 764.
- Taborek, J., Charts for mean temperature difference in industrial heat exchanger configuration, in: Schlünder, E.U. (Editor-in Chief), Heat Exchanger Design Handbook, Hemisphere Publishing Corporation, New York, 1.5.3-8, 1983.
- Pal, E. Kumar, I., et al. CFD simulations of shell-side flow in a shell-and-tube type heat exchanger with and without baffles. Chem Eng Sci, 143 (2016), pp. 314 - 340.
- Manglik, R. M., Bergles, A. E., Swirl flow heat transfer and pressure drop with twisted-tape inserts, Advances in Heat Transfer, 36 (2003), pp. 183 - 266.
- Thome, J. R. On Recent Advances in Modeling of Two-Phase Flow and Heat Transfer, Heat Transfer Engineering, 24 (2003), pp. 46 - 59.
- Saffarian, M. R., et al., "Numerical study of shell and tube heat exchanger with different cross section tubes and combined tubes'' International Journal of Energy and Environmental Engineering, 10 (2019), pp. 33 - 46.
- Mellal, M., et al., Hydro-thermal shell-side performance evaluation of a shell and tube heat exchanger under different baffle arrangement and orientation. International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 121 (2017), pp. 138-149.
- Abdelkader, B. A., et al., The Effect of a Number of Baffles on the performance of Shell-and-Tube Heat Exchangers. Heat Transfer Engineering, 40 (2019) (1-2), pp. 39-52.
- El Maakoul, A., et al., Numerical comparison of shell-side performance for shell and tube heat exchangers with trefoil-hole, helical and segmental baffles. Applied Thermal Engineering, 109 (2016), pp. 175-185.
- Allen, B., Gosselin, L., Optimal geometry and flow arrangement for minimizing the cost of shell-and-tube condensers, Int J Energy Res, 32 (2008) (10), pp. 958 - 969.
- Șahin, A. Ș., et al. Design and economic optimization of shell and tube heat exchangers using Artificial Bee Colony (ABC) algorithm, Energy Conversion and Management, 52 (2011), pp. 3356 - 3362.
- Vahdat, A. A., Amidpour, M., Economic optimization of shell and tube heat exchanger based on constructal theory, Energy, 36 (2011), pp. 1087 - 1096.
- Mirzaei, M., et al., Multi-objective optimization of shell-and-tube heat exchanger by constructal theory. Applied Thermal Engineering, 125 (2017), pp. 9-19.
- Aydin. A., et al., Optimization and CFD analysis of a shell-and-tube heat exchanger with a multi segmental baffle, Thermal Science, (00) (2020), pp. 293 - 293.
- Periyasamy Chokkeyee, M. K., et al., Analysis on thermal and flow behavior of triple concentric tube heat exchanger handling MWCNT-water nanofluids, Thermal Science, 24(2020), 1B, pp. 487-494.
- Elouardi, E., et al., A novel approch for thermal designing a single pass counter flow shell and tube heat exchanger, International Journal of Mechanical and Production Engineering Research and Development (IJMPERD). 10 (2020), 3, 269 - 280.
- Colburn, A. P., Mean Temperature Difference and Heat Transfer Coefficient in Liquid Heat Exchangers, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry, 25(1933), 8, pp. 873-877.
- Roetzel, W., Spang, B., Fundamentals of heat exchanger design - Thermal design of heat exchangers - Chapter C1. In: VDI-GVC (Ed.), VDI Heat Atlas, 2nd Edition, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, Dusseldorf, Germany, 2010, pp. 33-66.
- Magazoni, F. C., et al., Thermal performance of one-pass shell-and-tube heat exchangers in counter-flow, Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 36 (2019), 2, pp. 869 - 883.
- Emad, M. S., et al., Experimental Investigation of Air Injection Effect on the Performance of Horizontal Shell and Multi-Tube Heat Exchanger with Baffles, Vol. 134 (2018), pp. 238-247.
- Mashhour, A. A., Safaei, M. R., Combination effect of Baffle arrangement and Hybrid Nanofluid on Thermal Performance of a Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger Using 3-D Homogeneous Mixture Model, Mathematics, 9 (2021), 8, 881.
- Shah, R. K., Sekulic, D. P., Non- uniform Overall Heat Transfer Coefficients in Conventional Heat Exchanger Design Theory - Revisited, Journal of Heat Transfer ASME, 120 (1998), 2, pp. 520-525.
- Ramesh K. S., Dusan P. S., Fundamentals of Heat Exchanger Design. John Wiley and Sons. New York, USA, 2003.
- Caglayan, A. N., Buthod, P., Factors correct air-cooler and S and T exchangers LMTD, Oil and Gas Journal, 6, 91-94 (1976).
- Bell, K. J., Delaware method for shell side design. In: Kakac, S., Bergles, A.E., Mayinger, F. (Eds), Heat exchangers: thermal-hydraulic fundamentals and design. Hemisphere Publishing Corp., New York, pp.581-618, 1981.
- Kern, D. Q., Process heat transfer. McGraw-Hill, New York, 1950.
- Ozden, E., Tari, I., Shell side CFD analysis of a small shell-and-tube heat exchanger, Energy Conversion and Management, 51 (2010), pp. 1004-1014.