International Scientific Journal
ANALYTICAL STUDY OF UNSTEADY SEDIMENTATION ANALYSIS OF SPHERICAL PARTICLE IN NEWTONIAN FLUID MEDIA
Unsteady settling behavior of solid spherical particles falling in water as a Newtonian fluid is investigated in this research. Least square method (LSM), Galerkin method (GM), LSM - Padé and numerical model are applied to analyze the characteristics of the particles motion. The influence of physical parameters on terminal velocity is discussed and it is showed that LSM and GM are efficient techniques for solving the governing equation. Among these methods, LSM- Padé demonstrates the best agreement with numerical results. The novelty of this work is to introduce new analytical methods for solving the nonlinear equation of sedimentation applicable in many industrial and chemical applications.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2016-06-02
PAPER REVISED: 2016-07-27
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2016-07-28
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2016-08-07
, VOLUME 22
, ISSUE Issue 2
, PAGES [847 - 855]
- J.S. Bridge, S.J. Bennett, A model for the entrainment and transport of sediment grains of mixed sizes, shapes, and densities, Water Resources Research, 28(2)(1992)337-363.
- N.S.Cheng, Simplified settling velocity formula for sediment particle, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 123(1997)149-152.
- R. Clift, J.R. Grace, M.E. Weber, Bubbles, Drops and Particles, Academic Press, New York, 1978.
- R.P. Chhabra, Bubbles, Drops and Particles in Non- Newtonian Fluids, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 1993.
- A. Haider, O.Levenspiel, Drag coefficients and terminal velocity of spherical and non-spherical particles, Powder Technology, 58(1989)63-70.
- J. Guo, Motion of spheres falling through fluids, Journal of Hydraulic Research, 49(1) (2011)32-41.
- P. Mohazzabi, Falling and rising in a fluid with both linear and quadratic drag, Canadian Journal of Physics, 88(9) (2010) 623-626.
- D.D. Ganji, A semi-analytical technique for non-linear settling particle equation of motion, Journal of Hydro- environment Research, 6(4) (2012)323-327.
- H. Yaghoobi, M. Torabi, Analytical solution for settling of non-spherical particles in incompressible Newtonian media, Powder Technology, 221(2012)453-463.
- H. Yaghoobi, M. Torabi, Novel solution for acceleration motion of a vertically falling non-spherical particle by VIM-Padé approximant, Powder Technology, 215-216 (2012) 206-209.
- S.T. Mohyud-Din, M.A. Noor, K.I. Noor, M.M. Hosseini, Solution of singular equations by He's variational iteration method, International Journal of Nonlinear Sciences & Numerical Simulation, 11(2)(2010)81-86.
- M. Jalaal, H. Bararnia, G. Domairry, A series exact solution for one-dimensional non-linear particle equation of motion, Powder Technology, 207(2011)461-464.
- M. Jalaal, D.D. Ganji, G. Ahmadi, Analytical investigation on acceleration motion of a vertically falling spherical particle in incompressible Newtonian media, Advanced Powder Technology, 21(3)(2010)298-304.
- J.H. He, Homotopy perturbation method with an auxiliary term, Abstract and Applied Analysis, Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 857612, 7 pages, dx.doi.org/ 10.1155/2012/8576.
- J.H. He, An elementary introduction of recently developed asymptotic methods and nanomechanics in textile engineering, International Journal of Modern PhysicsB, 22(21) (2008) 3487-4578.
- S.T. Mohyud-Din, M.A. Noor, K.I. Noor, Some relatively new techniques for nonlinear problems, Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 234849, 25 pages, dx.doi.org/10.1155/2009/234849.
- S.T. Mohyud-Din, A. Yildirim, G. Demirli, Analytical solution of wave system in Rn with coupling controllers, International Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat &Fluid Flow, 21(2)(2011)198-205.
- B. Raftari, S.T. Mohyud-Din, A. Yildirim, Solution to the MHD flow over nonlinear stretching sheeting by homotopy perturbation method, Science in China Series G: Physics, Mechanics and Astronomy, 54(2) (2011)342-345,dx.doi.org/10.1007/ s11433 -010-4180-1.
- M. Torabi, H. Yaghoobi, Novel solution for acceleration motion of a vertically falling spherical particle by HPM-Padé approximant, Advanced Powder Technology, 22(6) (2011)674-677.
- M. Jalaal, D.D. Ganji, An analytical study on motion of a sphere rolling down an inclined plane submerged in a Newtonian fluid, Powder Technology, 198(1) (2010)82-92.
- M. Jalaal, D.D. Ganji, On unsteady rolling motion of spheres in inclined tubes filled with incompressible Newtonian fluids, Advanced Powder Technology, 22(1) (2011)58-67.
- M.N. Ozisik, Heat Conduction, second edition John Wiley &Sons Inc, USA, 1993.
- R.H. Stern, H. Rasmussen, Comput. Biol. Med. 26 (1996) 255-261.
- B. Vaferi, V. Salimi, D. Dehghan Baniani, A. Jahanmiri, S. Khedri, feasibility of applying of Orthogonal Collocation method to solve diffusivity equation in the radial transient flow system, J. Pet. Sci. Eng. (2012), dx.doi.org/ 10.1016/ j.petrol.2012.04.023.
- M. Hatami, A. Hasanpour, D.D. Ganji, heat transfer study through porous fins (Si3N4 and AL) with temperature-dependent with heat generation, Energy Convers. Manag. 74 (2013) 9-16.
- R. Nouri, D.D.Ganji, M.Hatami, Unsteady sedimentation analysis of spherical particles in Newtonian fluid media using analytical methods, Propulsion and Power Research, 3(2) (2014), 96-105.
- M. Hatami, D.D. Ganji, Transient vertically motion of a soluble particle in a Newtonian fluid media, Powder Technology, 253(2014) 481-485.
- M. Hatami, D.D. Ganji, Motion of a spherical particle on a rotating parabola using Lagrangian and high accuracy Multi-step Differential Transformation Method, Powder Technology, 258 (2014) 94-98.
- M. Hatami, D.D. Ganji, Motion of a spherical particle in a fluid forced vortex by DQM and DTM, Particuology, 16 (2014) 206-212.
- M.M. Rashidi, H. Shahmohamadi, S. Dinarvand, Analytic approximate solutions for unsteady two-dimensional and axisymmetric squeezing flows between parallel plates, Mathematical Problems in Engineering, 2008 (2008), 1-13.
- O. Anwarbeg, M. M. Rashidi, T. A. Beg, M. Asadi, Homotopy analysis of transient magneto-bio-fluid dynamics of micropolar squeeze film in a porous medium: A model for magneto-bio-rheological lubrication, Journal of Mechanics in Medicine and Biology, 12 (03) (2012) 1-21.
- M.M. Rashidi, E. Erfani, Analytical Method for Solving Steady MHD Convective and Slip Flow due to a Rotating Disk with Viscous Dissipation and Ohmic Heating, Engineering Computations, 29 (6) (2012) 562-579.
- A. Basiri Parsa, M.M. Rashidi, O. Anwar Bég, S.M. Sadri, Semi-computational simulation of magneto-hemodynamic flow in a semi-porous channel using optimal homotopy and differential transform methods, Computers in Biology and Medicine, 43 (9) (2013) 1142-1153.
- M. Sheikholeslami, M. Hatami, D.D. Ganji, Analytical investigation of MHD nanofluid flow in a semi-porous channel, Powder Technology, 246 (2013) 327-336.
- B. Takabi, H. Shokouhmand, Effects of Al2O3-Cu/water hybrid nanofluid on heat transfer and flow characteristics in turbulent regime, International Journal of Modern Physics C,. 26 (4) (2015) 1550047.
- B. Takabi, S. Salehi, Augmentation of the Heat Transfer Performance of a Sinusoidal Corrugated Enclosure by Employing Hybrid Nanofluid, Advances in Mechanical Engineering, 6 (2014) 147059.
- M.M. Rashidi, M. Nasiri, M. Khezerloo, N. Laraqi, Numerical investigation of magnetic field effect on mixed convection heat transfer of nanofluid in a channel with sinusoidal walls, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 401 (2016) 159-168.
- H. Shahmohamadi, M.M. Rashidi, VIM solution of squeezing MHD nanofluid flow in a rotating channel with lower stretching porous surface, Advanced Powder Technology, 27 (1) (2016) 171-178.