International Scientific Journal
A METHOD TO ESTIMATE SAVINGS OF LED LIGHTING INSTALATION IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS: THE CASE STUDY OF SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN SERBIA
This paper examines the potentials of saving electric energy in school lighting by replacing the existent systems of lighting with more adequate ones which are based on light-emitting diode technology. Our primary goal is to present the methodology used in this analysis since it can be used to determine potential savings in lighting systems of any public building. We have performed the detailed analysis of nine high schools located in Kragujevac, Serbia. The first step was to collect the data about the numbers and types of systems utilized, as well as about the habits of their users. This has revealed the share of electricity consumption for lighting in total electricity consumption. The replacements for each existent light source have been proposed taking into consideration the projected value of light flux depending on the purpose of each room. The calculations of potential savings through the replacement of lighting systems have been conducted taking into consideration not only the savings in electric energy but also the savings made through the maintenance cost reduction. Based on the results, the potential savings range from 53-62% while the payback period for the analysed schools is about four years in average. [Project of the Serbian Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development, Grant no. III 42013: Research of cogeneration potential of municipal and industrial energy power plant in Republic of Serbia and opportunities for rehabilitation of existing and construction of new cogeneration plants]
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2016-12-09
PAPER REVISED: 2017-03-29
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2017-04-19
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2017-05-06
, VOLUME 21
, ISSUE Issue 6
, PAGES [2931 - 2943]
- WBCSD. Energy Efficiency In Buildings-Transforming The Market, Technical Report (2009).
- The IEA website, 2015, Available:www.iea.org/
- Amir S., Fausto F., Carlos H. A., A model for optimal energy planning of a commercial building integrating solar and cogeneration systems, Energy 61 (2013) 211 - 223
- Sbci, S. B. A. C. I. (2012), Why Buildings, Available: www.unep.org/sbci/AboutSBCI/Background.asp
- SallehM. N. M., Kandar M. Z., MdSakip S. R.,Johari, N., Users' Perception of Energy Efficiency in School Design, Asian Conference on Environment-Behaviour Studies, Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences 170 (2015) 155-164
- The Eurostat website,(2015), Available: ec.europa.eu/eurostat(assessed on: 02-17-2016)
- U.S. department of energy,Buildings energy data books, Available: buildingsdatabook.eren.doe.gov/(assessed on: 02-17-2016)
- Energy balance of Serbia Republic (2015), Available: www.mre.gov.rs(assessed on: 02-17-2016)
- Philip C. H. Yu., W. K. Chow, A discussion on potentials of saving energy use for commercial buildings in Hong Kong, Energy 32 (2007) 83-94
- Manuel J. H. O., Jose Ramon de A. D., Comparative study of energy - efficiency and conservation systems for ceramic metal - halide discharge lamps, Energy 52 (2013) 258 - 264
- Julian Di S., Energy efficiency and the environment: the potential for energy efficient lighting to save energy and reduce carbon dioxide emissions at Melbourne University, Australia, Energy 25 (2000) 823-839
- Marco B., Marina B., Giuseppina C., Alessandra G., Improvement of energy efficiency and quality of street lighting in South Italy as an action of Sustainable Energy Action Plans. The case study of Comiso (RG), Energy 92 (2015) 394 - 408
- Energy Information Administration and Green Econometrics Research According to the EIA. Available: www.eia.gov/consumption/commercial/(assessed on: 02-17-2016)
- Powell K., Lessons from the field, Solid-state lighting program: U.S. Department of energy apps1.eere.energy.gov, (assessed on: 02-17-2016)
- DoE, 2012. U.S. Lighting market Characterization. Solid-State Lighting Program: U.S. Department of Energy
- Natural Resources Canada (NRCan), 2012, Energy use data Handbook, 1990 to 2009.
- Bladh M., Krantz H., Towards a bright future?, Household use of electric light: a microlevel study, Energy Policy 2008:36:3521-30.
- Program Agreement MSE/ENEA. Financial-economic solutions for the redevelopment of public lighting,Lumiere; March 2011
- Dubois M.-C., Blomsterberg, A., Energy saving potential and strategies for electric lighting in future North European, low energy office buildings: a literature review, Energy Buildings 2011; 43:2572-82.
- International Organization for Standardisation, ISO 13790: Energy performance of buildings - calculation of energy use for space heating and cooling, ISO Publication, Geneve, 2008
- European Committee for Standardisation, EN 15193: Energy performance of buildings- Energy requirements for lighting, Available: www.iar.unicamp.br/lab/luz/ld/normas%20e%20relat%F3rios/en_15193-1_energy_requirements_for_lighting.pdf
- European Committee for Standardisation, EN 12464-1: Light and lighting - lighting of work places - Part1: Indoor work places, Brussels, 2011
- Salata F., LietoA. V., Ferraro A., An economic perspective on the reliability of lighting systems in building with highly efficient energy: Acase study, Energy Conversion and Management, 2014
- Nadel S. M.,A review of US and Canadian lighting programs for the residential, commercial and industrial sectors, Energy - The International Journal 1993;18(2):145-58
- Hollander J. M., Schneider T. R.,Energy efficiency: issues for the decade. Energy - The International Journal 1996;21(4):273-87.
- Piette M. A., Nordman B., De Buen O., Diamond R. Findings from a low-energy, new commercial - buildings research and demonstration project. Energy - The International Journal 1995;20(6):471-82.
- Giovani C., Antonio R., Michelangelo S., Retrofitting Solutions for Energy Saving in a Historical Building Lighting System, 6th International Building Physics Conference, Energy Procedia Vo78, (2015) 2669-2674
- Dubois M. C., Blomsterberg A., Energy saving potential and strategies for electric lighting in future North European, low energy office buildings: A literature review, Energy and Buildings, 43 (2011) 2572-2582
- Krarti M., Erickson P. M., Hillman Timothy, A simplified method to estimate energy savings of artificial lighting use from daylighting, Building and Environment, 40 (2005) 747-754
- Delvaeye R., Ryckaert W., Stroobant L., Hanselaer P., Klein R. Breesch H., Analysis of energy savings of three daylight control systems in a school building by means of monitoring, Energy and Buildings, 127 (2016) 969-979
- Fontoynont M., Ramananarivo K., Soreze T., Fernez G., GuldhammerSkov K., Economic feasibility of maximising daylighting of a standard office building with efficient electric lighting, Energy and Buildings 110 (2016) 435-442
- Liu J., Zhang W., Chu X., Liu Y., Fuzzy logic controller for energy savings in a smart LED lighting system considering lighting comfort and daylight, Energy and Buildings 127 (2016) 95-104
- Sun L., Zhu J., Wong H., Simulation and evaluation of the peak temperature in LED light bulb heatsink, Microelectronics Reliability (2015), doi:10.1016/j.microrel.2015.12.023
- Caicedo D., Pandharipande A., Leus G., Occupancy-based illumination control of LED lighting systems, Lighting Research and Technology 43 (2011) 217-234
- Hoelen C., Borel H., De Graaf J., Keuper M., Lankhorst M., Mutter C., Waumans L., Wegh R., Remote phospor LED modules for general illumination: towards 200 lm/W general lighting LED light sources, in: Proceedings of SPIE - Eight International Conference on Solid State Lighting, San Diego, CA, USA, August, 2008.
- Myer M.A., Paget M.L., Lingard R.D., CALiPER Benchmark Report-Performance of T12 and T8 Fluorescent Lamps and Troffers and LED Linear Replacement Lamps, Prepared for the U.S. Department of Energy by Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, PNNL-18076, 2009.
- Energy efficient Behavior Blog, Incandescent vs CFL vs LED: Which Saves More Energy?, Available:class5energy.com/blog/incandescent-vs-cfl-vs-led-which-saves-more-energy/(assessed on: 02-17-2016)
- Wang J. C., A study on the energy performance of school buildings in Taiwan, Energy and Buildings 133 (2016) 810-822
- Rossi M., Pandharipande A., Personal lighting control with occupancy and daylight adaptation, Energy and Buildings, Vo105, (2015), 263-272
- Caicedo D., Pandharipande A., Daylight-adaptive lighting control using light sensor calibration prior-information, Energy and Buildings, Vo73, (2014), 105-114
- LED Lighting Retrofits, BU Sustainability, Available www.bu.edu/sustainability/what-were-doing/energy/led-lighting-retrofits/(assessed on: 02-17-2016)
- Hitachi LED lighting, Available: www.hitachi.com/environment/showcase/solution/appliances/led_lighting.html(assessed on: 02-17-2016)
- Introducing the Most Energy Efficient LED Lighting Solution for your Home or Office, Evobrite, Available: www.evobrite.com/(assessed on: 02-17-2016)
- Your Guide To Buying Led Light Bulbs, EDEN Ilumination, Available: www.edenillumination.co.uk/blogs/news/tagged/buying-led-light-bulbs(assessed on: 02-17-2016)
- How LED Lighting Can Save Our Planet - And Why It's Not Happening, TIMnovate, Available: timnovate.wordpress.com/2013/03/09/how-led-lighting-can-save-our-planet-and-why-its-not-happening/(assessed on: 02-17-2016)
- LED light bulbs review - choose the best LED bulbs, Lighting Ideas, Available: www.lighting-ideas.net/2015/06/LED-bulbs-review.html(assessed on: 02-17-2016)
- Tagare D.M., Reactive Power Management, Electrical Power Capacitors series ON
- Xianming Ye, Xiaohua Xia, LijunYhang, Bing Zhu, Optimal maintenance planning for sustainable energy efficiency lighting retrofit projects by a control system approach, Control Engineering Practice 37 (2015) 1-10
- Pandharipande A., Caicedo D., Daylight integrated illumination control of LED systems based on enhanced presence sensing, Energy and Buildings, 43 (2011) 944-950
- Stolshek J. D., Koehring P. A., Ultrasonic technology provides for control of lighting, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 20 (6) (1984) 1564-1572.
- Li Z. K., Rose J. L., Eder J., Airborne ultrasonic potential in intelligent control, in: IEEE International Symposium on Intelligent Control, 1990, pp. 1261-1265.
- Magori V., Walker H., Ultrasonic presence sensors with wide range and high local resolution, IEEE Transaction on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control 34 (2) (1987) 202-211.
- Li D. H. W., Lam J. C., Evaluation of lighting performance in office buildings with daylighting controls, Energy and Buildings 33 (8) (2001) 793-803
- Reinhart C. F., Effects of interior design on the daylight availability in open plan offices, in: Proceedings of the ACEEE Summer study on energy efficient buildings, Pacific Grove, CA (USA), August, 2002, pp. 1-12.
- Galasiu A. D., Veitch J., Occupant preferences and satisfaction with the luminous environment and control systems in daylight offices: a literature review, Energy and Buildings 38 (7) (2006) 728-742.
- Schools - A Guide To Energy Efficient And Cost Effective Lighting, Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland, available at: www.seai.ie/Publications/Your_Business_Publications/Technology_Guides/General_Lighting_Guide_FNL.pdf, assessed 11.12.2016.
- Rules of norms school space, equipment and teaching aids for school, available at:www.sacuvajmoratkamitrovica.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Pravilnik-o-normativima.pdf , assessed 05.02.2017.
- Regulations on energy efficiency in buildings, Official Gazette of Republic of Serbia, No. 61/2011, Available: www.ingkomora.org.rs/strucniispiti/download/ee/PRAVILNIK_O_EEZ_za%20obuku.pdf(assessed on: 02-17-2016)