International Scientific Journal
THE FEATURES OF HETEROGENEOUS WATER DROPLET EVAPORATION IN HIGH-TEMPERATURE COMBUSTION PRODUCTS OF TYPICAL FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS
This paper presents the experimental results on heating and evaporation features of heterogeneous (with opaque solid particles – the size of 0.05-0.5 mm, relative mass concentration 0-1%) water droplets (the initial size – radius 1-3 mm) during their motion through high-temperature (500-1800 K) gases. A significant increase in the integral characteristics of evaporation by introducing opaque inclusions into droplets was observed. The influence of energy accumulation on the conditions of droplet evaporation at the internal solid/liquid interfaces was established. For proportioned inclusions, the conditions of intensive vaporization (leading to the explosive disintegration of droplets) at internal inclusion/liquid interfaces was set. To summarize research results, experiments were conducted with the combustion products of kerosene, gasoline, industrial alcohol, acetone, and oil. The particles of graphite, carbon, and aluminum as solid inclusions were used. The investigation compared integral characteristics of heterogeneous droplet evaporation under the conditions of non-stationary (gas temperature varied from 1800 K to 500 K over the length of channel) and nearly stationary (gas temperature was maintained at about 1100 K) heating.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2015-08-14
PAPER REVISED: 2015-01-12
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2016-01-20
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2016-01-30
, VOLUME 21
, ISSUE Issue 2
, PAGES [1043 - 1055]
- Terekhov, V.I., et al., Heat and Mass Transfer in Disperse and Porous Media Experimental and Numerical Investigations of Nonstationary Evaporation of Liquid Droplets, Journal of Engineering Physics and Thermophysics, 83 (2010), 5, pp. 883-890.
- Sazhin, S.S., et al., Multi-component Droplet Heating and Evaporation: Numerical Simulation versus Experimental Data, International Journal of Thermal Science, 50 (2011), pp. 1164-1180.
- Varaksin, A.Yu., Fluid Dynamics and Thermal Physics of Two Phase Flows: Problems and Achievements, High Temperature, 51 (2013), 3, pp. 377-407.
- Vysokomornaya, O.V., et al., Experimental Investigation of Atomized Water Droplet Initial Parameters Influence on Evaporation Intensity in Flaming Combustion Zone, Fire Safety Journal, 70 (2014), pp. 61-70.
- Thokchom, A.K., et al., Analysis of Fluid Flow and Particle Transport in Evaporating Droplets Exposed to Infrared Heating, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 68 (2014), pp. 67-77.
- Yuen, M.C., Chen, L.W., Heat-Transfer Measurements of Evaporating Liquid Droplets, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 21 (1978), pp. 537-542.
- Renksizbulut, M., Yuen, M.C., Experimental Study of Droplet Evaporation in a High-Temperature Air Stream, Journal of Heat Transfer, 105 (1983), pp. 384-388.
- Terekhov, V.I., et al., Vortex Pattern of The Turbulent Flow Around a Single Cube on a Flat Surface and Its Heat Transfer at Different Attack Angles, Thermophysics and Aeromechanics, 17 (2010), 4, pp. 489-500.
- Kuznetsov, G.V., et al., Estimation of the Numerical Values of the Evaporation Constants of the Water Drops Moving in the High Temperature Gas Flow, High Temperature, 53 (2015), 2, pp. 254-258.
- Glushkov, D.O., et al., Numerical Investigation of Water Droplets Shape Influence on Mathematical Modeling Results of Its Evaporation in Motion through a High-Temperature Gas, Mathematical Problems in Engineering, 2014 (2014), Article ID 920480.
- Volkov, R.S., et al., Experimental Investigation of Mixtures and Foreign Inclusions In Water Droplets Influence on Integral Characteristics of Their Evaporation During Motion Through High-Temperature Gas Area, International Journal of Thermal Science, 88 (2015), pp. 193-200.
- Glushkov, D.O., et al., Influence of Radiative Heat and Mass Transfer Mechanism in System "Water Droplet-High-Temperature Gases" on Integral Characteristics of Liquid Evaporation, Thermal Science, doi:10.2298/TSCI140716004G.
- Glushkov, D.O., et al., Experimental Investigation of Evaporation Enhancement for Water Droplet containing Solid Particles in Flaming Combustion Area, Thermal Science, doi:10.2298/TSCI140901005G.
- Janiszewski, J., Measurement Procedure of Ring Motion with the Use of High Speed Camera during Electromagnetic Expansion, Metrology and Measurement Systems, 19 (2012), 2, pp. 797-804.
- Dehaeck, S., et al., Laser Marked Shadowgraphy: A Novel Optical Planar Technique for The Study of Microbubbles and Droplets, Experiments in Fluids, 47 (2009), pp. 333-341.
- Damaschke, N., et al., Optical Limits of Particle Concentration for Multi-Dimensional Particle Sizing Techniques in Fluid Mechanics, Experiments in Fluids, 32 (2002), 2, pp. 143-152.
- Hadad, T., Gurka, R., Effects of Particle Size, Concentration and Surface Coating On Turbulent Flow Properties Obtained Using PIV/PTV, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 45 (2013), pp. 203-212.
- Keane, R.D., Adrian, R.J., Theory of Cross-Correlation Analysis of PIV Images, Applied Scientific Research, 49 (1992), pp. 191-215.
- Kothandaraman, C., Subramanyan, S., Heat and Mass Transfer Data Book, Halsted Press/Wiley, Hoboken, New York, USA, 1975.
- Wong, H.Y., Handbook of Essential Formulae and Data on Heat Transfer for Engineers, Longman Group, United Kingdom, 1977.
- Vargaftik, N.B., et al., Handbook of Thermal Conductivity of Liquids and Gases, CRC Press, Inc., Boca Raton, USA, 1994.
- Wierzba, A., Deformation and Breakup of Liquid Drops in A Gas Stream at Nearby Critical Weber Numbers, Experiments in Fluids, 9 (1990), 1, pp. 59-64.
- Eggers, J., Villermaux, E., Physics of Liquid Jets, Reports on Progress in Physics, 71 (2008), Article ID 036601.
- Anufriev, I.S., et al., Conditions of Explosive Evaporation at the Phase Interface in an Inhomogeneous Droplet, Technical Physics Letters, 41 (2015), 8, pp. 810-813.