International Scientific Journal
OPTIMUM CONFIGURATIONS OF ANNULUS WITH TRIANGULAR FINS FOR LAMINAR CONVECTION
Optimum configurations of a finned annulus with longitudinal fins of triangular cross-section have been investigated numerically for the enhancement of overall (hydraulic and thermal) performance so that optimum use of energy and saving of cost may be achieved. A steady, laminar and incompressible flow is considered in the fully-developed region of the finned annulus subjected to the thermal boundary condition of constant heat transfer rate per unit axial length. Optimization has been carried out by using genetic algorithm. Finite element method is employed to perform the numerical simulation of the flow and provide function values to the optimizer. Using surface flow area goodness factor as the objective function, various optimum configurations have been proposed depending on practical and industrial requirements. A comparison of the present optimum configurations has been carried out with those based on the Nusselt number as an objective function. The results indicate that the present objective function gives, in many cases, cost- and weight-efficient optimum configurations with considerable reduction in pressure loss and provides optimum use of energy along with saving of the cost. Relative performance measures recommend the use of at least 18 fins to have trade off between the gain in heat transfer coefficient and loss in the pressure gradient.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2013-08-05
PAPER REVISED: 2016-05-07
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2016-06-08
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2016-07-12
, VOLUME 21
, ISSUE Issue 1
, PAGES [161 - 173]
- Razelos P., A critical review of extended surface heat transfer, Heat Transfer Engineering; Vol. 24 (2003) 6, pp. 11-28.
- Gosselin L, Gingras T M, and Potvin M F., Review of utilization of genetic algorithms in heat transfer problems, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 52(2009), pp. 2169-2188.
- Fabbri G., Heat transfer optimization in finned annular ducts under laminar-flow conditions, Heat Transfer Engineering, 19 (1998) 4, pp. 1521-0537.
- Lan C-H, Cheng C-H, Wu C-Y., Shape Design for Heat Conduction Problems Using Curvilinear Grid Generation, Conjugate Gradient, and Redistribution Methods, Numerical Heat Transfer, Part A: Applications, 39 (2001), pp. 487-510.
- Chang Y. P. M., Hu H., Optimization of finned tubes for heat transfer in laminar flow, Journal of Heat Transfer, 95(1973), pp. 332-338.
- Zeitoun O., Hegazy A.S., Heat transfer for laminar flow in internally finned pipes with different fin heights and uniform wall temperature, Heat Mass Transfer, 40 (2004), pp. 253-259.
- Syed K.S., Iqbal Z., Ishaq M., Optimal configuration of finned annulus in a double pipe with fully developed laminar flow, Applied Thermal Engineering, 31 (2011), pp. 1435-1446.
- Iqbal Z, Ishaq M, Syed KS., Optimization of Laminar Convection on the shell-side of Double pipe with triangular fins, Arabian Journal Science Engineering (accepted) (2012).
- Iqbal Z., Syed K.S., Ishaq M., Optimal convective heat transfer in Double pipe with parabolic fins, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 54 (2011), pp. 5415-5426.
- Rahmani R., Mirzaee I., Ramezanpour A., and Shirvani H. Different Aspects of Geometrical Optimization for Compact Heat Exchangers, patented (APU, UK May 2001), 2001.
- Wang Q. W., Lin M., Zeng M., Tian L., Computational analysis of heat transfer and pressure drop performance for internally finned tubes with three different longitudinal wavy fins, Heat Mass Transfer, 45 (2008), pp.147-156, DOI 10.1007/s00231-008-0414-4.
- Peng H., Ling X., Wu E., An Improved Particle Swarm Algorithm for Optimal Design of Plate-Fin Heat Exchangers, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 49 (2010), pp. 6144-6149.
- Maa T, Chen Y., Zeng M., Wang Q., Stress analysis of internally finned bayonet tube in a high temperature heat exchanger, Applied Thermal Engineering, 43 (2012), pp. 101-108.
- Zeng M., Ma T., Sunden B., Trabia M. B., Wang Q., Effect of lateral fin profiles on stress performance of internally finned tubes in a high temperature heat exchanger, Applied Thermal Engineering, 50 (2013), pp. 886-895.
- Syed K.S., Simulation of fluid flow through a double-pipe heat exchanger, Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Mathematics University of Bradford UK., 1997.
- Syed KS, Iqbal M, Mir NA., Convective Heat Transfer in the Thermal entrance region of finned double-pipe, Heat Mass Transfer, 43 (2007), pp. 449-457.
- Iqbal M., Syed K.S., Thermally Developing Flow in Finned Double-Pipe Heat Exchanger, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, 65 (2011), pp. 1145-1159.
- Syed K.S., Ishaq M., Bakhsh M., Convective heat transfer in the annulus region of triangular finned double-pipe heat exchanger, Computer and fluid, 44 ( 2011), pp. 43-55.
- Shah R. K., London A.L., Laminar Flow Forced Convection in Ducts, Academic Pr, London, 1978.
- MATLAB Version 7.13 (R2011b) toolboxes, www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/rn/bs1ef8o.html.
- George P. L., Automatic Mesh Generation-Application to finite Element Methods, Wiley, 1991.
- Shah, R. K. and Sekulić, D. P., Selection of Heat Exchangers and Their Components, in Fundamentals of Heat Exchanger Design, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2007. doi: 10.1002/9780470172605.ch10, 2007.