International Scientific Journal
THERMAL-ECONOMIC MULTIOBJECTIVE OPTIMIZATION OF HEAT PIPE HEAT EXCHANGER FOR ENERGY RECOVERY IN HVAC APPLICATIONS USING GENETIC ALGORITHM
Cost and effectiveness are two important factors of heat pipe heat exchanger (HPHE) design. The total cost includes the investment cost for buying equipment (heat exchanger surface area) and operating cost for energy expenditures (related to fan power). The HPHE was thermally modeled using e-NTU method to estimate the overall heat transfer coefficient for the bank of finned tubes as well as estimating pressure drop. Fast and elitist non-dominated sorting genetic algorithm (NSGA-II) with continuous and discrete variables was applied to obtain the maximum effectiveness and the minimum total cost as two objective functions. Pipe diameter, pipe length, numbers of pipes per row, number of rows, fin pitch and fin length ratio were considered as six design parameters. The results of optimal designs were a set of multiple optimum solutions, called ‘Pareto optimal solutions’. The comparison of the optimum values of total cost and effectiveness, variation of optimum values of design parameters as well as estimating the payback period were also reported for various inlet fresh air volume flow rates.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2011-10-24
PAPER REVISED: 2012-09-25
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2012-10-24
, VOLUME 18
, ISSUE Supplement 2
, PAGES [S375 - S391]
- Amir Faghri, Heat Pipe Science and Technology, Taylor & Francis, Washington D.C, USA, 1995.
- F. Yang, X. Yuan, G. Lin, Waste heat recovery using heat pipe heat exchanger for heating automobile using exhaust gas, Appl. Therm. Eng., 23 (2003), pp. 367-372.
- S.H. Noie-Baghban, G.R. Majideian, Waste heat recovery using heat pipe heat exchanger (HPHE) for surgery rooms in hospitals, Appl. Therm. Eng., 20 (2000), pp. 1271-1282.
- M. A. Abd El-Baky, M. M. Mohamed, Heat pipe heat exchanger for heat recovery in air conditioning, Appl. Therm. Eng., 27 (2007), pp. 795-801.
- R. Peretz, J. Bendescu, The influence of the heat pipe heat exchanger's geometry on its heat transfer effectiveness, Heat. Recov. Syst., 3 (1983), pp. 23-34.
- M.S. Soylemez, on the thermo-economical optimization of heat pipe heat exchanger HPHE for waste heat recovery, Energ. Convers. and Manage., 44 (2003), pp. 2509-2517.
- S. Sanaye, H. Hajabdollahi, Multi-objective optimization of shell and tube heat exchangers, Appl. Therm. Eng., 30 (2010), pp. 1937-1945.
- A. Bejan, A. D. Kraus, Heat transfer handbook, Wiley, New Jersey, USA, 2003.
- G. P. Peterson, an Introduction to Heat Pipes, Modeling, Testing, and Application, Wiley, New York, USA, 1994.
- J. O. Tan, C. Y. Liu, Predicting the performance of a heat-pipe heat exchanger, using the effectiveness- NTU method, Int. J., Heat and fluid flow 11 (1990), pp. 376-379.
- W. M. Kays, A. L. London, Compact Heat Exchangers, third Ed., McGraw Hill, New York, USA, 1984.
- F. P. Incropera, D. P. DeWitt, T. L. Bergman, A. S. Lavine, Fundamentals of heat and mass transfer, sixth Ed., Wiley, New York, USA, 2006.
- E. Azad, F. Geoola, A design procedure for gravity-assisted heat pipe heat exchanger, Heat. Recov. Syst., 4 (1984), pp. 101-111.
- T. Kuppan, Heat exchanger design handbook, Marcel Dekker, New York, USA, 2000.
- J. A. Duffi, W. A. Beckman, Solar Engineering of Thermal Processes, third Ed., Wiley, New Jersey, USA, 2006.
- N. Srinivas, K. Deb, Multi-objective optimization using non-dominated sorting in genetic algorithms, J. Evolution. Comp., 2 (3) (1994), pp. 221-248.
- K. Deb, A. Pratap, S. Agarwal, T. Meyarivan, A fast and elitist multi-objective genetic algorithm: NSGA-II. IEEE Transaction. Evolution. Comp., 6 (2) (2002), pp.182-197.
- K. Deb, Multi-objective Optimization Using Evolutionary Algorithms, Wiley, Chichester, 2001.
- Hoseyn Sayyaadi, Multi-objective approach in thermoenvironomic optimization of a benchmark cogeneration system, Appl. Energ., 86 (2009), pp.867-879.