International Scientific Journal
THERMOMECHANICAL FINITE ELEMENT ANALYSIS OF HOT WATER BOILER STRUCTURE
The paper presents an application of the Finite Elements Method for stress and strain analysis of the hot water boiler structure. The aim of the research was to investigate the influence of the boiler scale on the thermal stresses and strains of the structure of hot water boilers. Results show that maximum thermal stresses appear in the zone of the pipe carrying wall of the first reversing chamber. This indicates that the most critical part of the boiler are weld spots of the smoke pipes and pipe carrying plate, which in the case of significant scale deposits can lead to cracks in the welds and water leakage from the boiler. The nonlinear effects were taken into account by defining the bilinear isotropic hardening model for all boiler elements. Temperature dependency was defined for all relevant material properties, i. e. isotropic coefficient of thermal expansion, Young’s modulus, and isotropic thermal conductivity. The verification of the FEA model was performed by comparing the measured deformations of the hot water boiler with the simulation results. As a reference object, a Viessmann - Vitomax 200 HW boiler was used, with the installed power of 18.2 MW. CAD modeling was done within the Autodesk Inventor, and stress and strain analysis was performed in the ANSYS Software.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2012-05-03
PAPER REVISED: 2012-07-02
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2012-07-10
, VOLUME 16
, ISSUE Supplement 2
, PAGES [S387 - S398]
- Guliè, M., Brkiæ, Lj., Perunoviæ, P., Steam boilers, University in Belgrade - Mechanical Engineering Faculty, Belgrade, 1991.
- Gaæeša B.M., Termo-mechanical analysis of boiler construction by numerical method applied, M.Sc. Thesis, Mechanical Engineering Faculty, Belgrade, 2000., p.144.
- Gaæeša, B., et al., Numerical and experimental strength analysis of fire-tube boiler construction, Technical Gazette 18, 2(2011), 237-242.
- Gaæeša, B., Analysis of the fire tube geometry influence on boiler construction behaviour, Proceedings of the 37th International Congress on Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning, SMEITS, Beograd, 2006, str. 103-108.
- Zienkiewich, O.C., Taylor, R.L., The finite element method, Fifth edition, Butterworth- Heinemann, 2000.
- Bathe, K.J., Finite element procedures in engineering analysis, Prentice Hall, 1982.
- Timoshenko, S., Goodier, J., Theory of Elasticity, 3rd ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, 1970.
- Finlayson, B.A., The Method of Weighted Residuals and Variational Principles, Academic press, New York, 1972.
- Nowacki, W., Thermoelasticity, Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1986.
- Kovalenko, A.D., Thermoelasticity, Science Academy, USSR, Kiev, 1970.
- Logan, D.L., A First Course in the Finite Element Method Using Algor, PWS Publising Company, Boston, 1997.
- Èukiæ, R., Naerloviæ-Veljkoviæ, N., Šumarac, D., Thermoelasticity, Mechanical Engineering Faculty, Belgrade, 1993.
- Taqieddin Z. N., Elasto-Plastic and damage modeling of reinforced concrete, A Dissertation Ph.D - Doctor of Philosophy, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, August 2008., p.166.
- Documentation for hot water boiler Viessmann HW M238- 18.2MW, Viessmann, 2010.
- ANSYS Release 13.0, Documentation for ANSYS, 2011.
- Milèiæ, D., et al., Finite element thermal analysis of hot water boilers, 14th Symposium on Thermal Science and Engineering of Serbia, Oktobar 13-16. 2009., Sokobanja, Serbia.
- Milèiæ, D., et al., Stress and strain calculation of the hot water boiler's structure with application of the FEA, PROCESING 2009., 22. International congress on process industry. Book of abstracts, Belgrade 2009.
- Živkoviæ, D.S. et al., Numerical method application for thermo-mechanical analysis of hot water boilers construction, ECOS 2011 - 24th International Conference on Efficiency, Cost, Optimization, Simulation and Environmental Impact of Energy Systems, pp. 1351-1362, Novi Sad, 2011.
- ThyssenKrupp Materials International, Seamless carbon steel pipe for high-temperature service, www.sk- h.com
- Lucefin Group, Tehnical card - P235GH, www.lucefin.com
- Salzgitter Flachstahl, Heat-resistant pressure-vessel steels, www.salzgitter-flachstahl.de