International Scientific Journal
TECHNICAL ANALYSIS OF PHOTOVOLTAIC/WIND SYSTEMS WITH HYDROGEN STORAGE
The technical analysis of a hybrid wind-photovoltaic energy system with hydrogen gas storage was studied. The market for the distributed power generation based on renewable energy is increasing, particularly for the standalone mini-grid applications. The main design components of PV/Wind hybrid system are the PV panels, the wind turbine and an alkaline electrolyzer with tank. The technical analysis is based on the transient system simulation program TRNSYS 16. The study is realized using the meteorological data for a Typical Metrological Year (TMY) for region of Novi Sad, Belgrade cities and Kopaonik national park in Serbia. The purpose of the study is to design a realistic energy system that maximizes the use of renewable energy and minimizes the use of fossil fuels. The reduction in the CO2 emissions is also analyzed in the paper. [Acknowledgment. This paper is the result of the investigations carried out within the scientific project TR33036 supported by the Ministry of Science of the Republic of Serbia.]
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2012-03-06
PAPER REVISED: 2012-04-14
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2012-04-25
, VOLUME 16
, ISSUE Issue 3
, PAGES [865 - 875]
- Pragya Nema, R.K., Nema, S.R. A current and future state of art development of hybrid energy system using wind and PV-solar: A review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 13 (2009), pp. 2096-2103.
- Arribas, L., Cano, L., Cruz, I., Mata, M., Llobet, E., PV-wind hybrid system performance: A new approach and a case study, Renewable Energy, 35 (2010), pp. 128-137.
- Celik, A.N., Techno-economic analysis of autonomous PV-wind hybrid energy systems using different sizing methods, Energy Conversion and Management, 44 (2003), pp. 1951-1968.
- Salwan, S.D., Sopian, K., Electricity generation of hybrid PV/wind systems in Iraq, Renewable Energy, 35 (2010), pp. 1303-1307.
- Barsoum, N.N., Goh, W.C., Modeling the Feasibility of an Integrated Hydrogen Hybrid Energy System for Stand Alone Power System. Proceeding of Australian universities in power and energy conference AUPEC 06, 10 -13 December 2006, Melbourne, Australia.
- Shakya, B.D., Lu, A., Musgrave, P., Technical feasibility and financial analysis of hybrid wind-photovoltaic system with hydrogen storage for Cooma, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 30 (2005), pp. 9-20.
- Panahandeh, B., Bard, J., Outzourhit, A., Zejli, A., Simulation of PV/Wind-hybrid systems combined with hydrogen storage for rural electrification, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 36 (2011), pp. 4185-4197.
- Carapellucci, R., Giordano, L., Modeling and optimization of an energy generation island based on renewable technologies and hydrogen storage systems, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 37 (2012), pp. 2081-2093.
- Ekren, O., Ekren, B., Size optimization of a PV/wind hybrid energy conversion system with battery storage using simulated annealing, Applied Energy, 87 (2010), pp. 592-598.
- Schneider, D., Duić, N., Raguzin, I., Bogdan, Z., Ban, M., Grubor, B., et al. Mapping the potential for decentralized energy generation based on RES in Western Balkans, Thermal Science, 11 (2007), 3, pp. 7-26.
- TRNSYS transient system simulation program, Reference manual Vol. 5. Mathematical References, Solar energy laboratory University of Wisconsin, Madison; 2003.
- Duffie, J.A., Beckman, W.A., Solar engineering of thermal processes, 3rd edition, New York, Wiley, 2006.
- Ojosu, J.O., Salawu, R.I., An evaluation of wind energy potential as a power generation source in Nigeria, Solar Wind Technology, 7 (1990), pp. 663-673.
- www.bergey.com 26 August 2011.
- Lo Brano, V., Orioli, A., Ciulla, G., Di Cangi, A., An improved five-parameter model for photovoltaic modules, Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells, 94 (2010), pp. 1358-1370.
- De Soto, W., Klein, S.A., Beckman, W.A., Improvement and validation of a model for photovoltaic array performance, Solar Energy, 80 (2006), pp. 78-88.
- Dieguez, P.M., Ursua, A., Sanchis, P., Sopena, C., Guelbenzu, E., Gandia, L.M., Thermal performance of a commercial alkaline water electrolyzer: Experimental study and mathematical modelling, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 33 (2008), pp. 7338-7354.
- Stefanović, P., Marković, Z., Bakić, V., Cvetinović, D., Zivković, N., Spasojević, V., Kolubara Mine Lignite Emmision Factor Evaluation, (in English), Termotehnika, 37 (2011), 2, pp. 241-251.