International Scientific Journal
HEAT TRANSFER OVER A STRETCHING POROUS SHEET SUBJECTED TO POWER LAW HEAT FLUX IN PRESENCE OF HEAT SOURCE
In the present investigation the boundary layer steady flow and heat transfer of a viscous incompressible fluid due to a stretching porous sheet in presence of heat source are studied. The equations of motion and heat transfer are reduced to non-linear ordinary differential equations and the exact solutions are obtained in the form of confluent hypergeometric function (Kummer’s Function) for prescribed heat flux, when the wall is at prescribed second order power law heat flux or the prescribed heat flux at the stretching porous wall varies as the square of the distance from the origin. The effects of the various parameters entering into the problem on the temperature distribution and recovery temperature are discussed.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2010-03-31
PAPER REVISED: 2010-09-21
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2010-08-12
, VOLUME 15
, ISSUE Supplement 2
, PAGES [S187 - S194]
- Sakiadis, B.C., Boundary layer behavior on continuous solid surface, American Institute of Chemical Engineers Journal, 7 (1961), 1, pp. 26-28
- Erickson, L.E., Fan, L.T., Fox, V.G., Heat and mass transfer of a moving continuous flat plate with suction or injection, Ind. Engng. Chem. Fundam., 5 (1966), 1, pp. 19-25
- Gupta P.S., Gupta A.S., Heat and mass transfer on a stretching sheet with suction or blowing, Canad. J. of Chem. Eng., 55 (1977), 6, pp.744-746
- Crane, L.J., Flow past a stretching plate, ZAMP, 21 (1970), 4, pp. 645-647
- Mc Cormack, P.D., Crane, L.J., Physical Fluid Dynamics Academic Press, New York, USA, 1973
- McLeod, J.B., Rajagopal, K.R., On the uniqueness of flow of a Navier- Stokes fluid due to a stretching boundary, Arch. Rational Mech. Anal., 98 (1987), 4, pp. 385-393
- Troy, W.C., Overman II, E.A., Ermentrout, G.B., Keener, J.P., Uniqueness of flow of a second order fluid past a stretching surface, Q. Appl. Math., 44 (1987), 4, pp. 753-755
- Danberg, J.E., Fansler, K.S., Non similar solution for the flow in the boundary layer past a stretched wall, Q Appl Math, 34 (1976), pp. 305-311
- Vleggaar, J., Laminar boundary-layer behavior on continuous accelerating surfaces, Chem. Eng. Sci., 32 (1977), 12, pp. 1517-1525
- Soundalgekar, V.M., Murty, T.V.R., Heat transfer past a continuous moving plate with variable temperature, Warme-und Stoffubertragung, 14 (1980), 2, pp. 91-93
- Carragher, P., Crane, L., Heat transfer on continuous stretching sheet, ZAMM, 62 (1982), 10, pp. 564-565
- Grubka, L.T., Bobba, K.M., Heat transfer characteristics of a continuous stretching surface with variable temperature, J Heat Transfer, 107 (1985), pp. 248-250
- Dutta, B.K., Heat transfer from a stretching sheet in a viscous flow with suction or blowing, ZAMM, 68 (1988), 6, pp. 231-236
- Chen, C.K., Char, M.I., Heat transfer of a continuous stretching surface with suction or blowing, J. Math. Anal. Appl., 135 (1988), 2, pp. 568-580
- Afzal, N., Varshney, I.S., The cooling of low heat resistance stretching sheet moving through a fluid, Wirme- und Stoffiibertrag, 14 (1980), 4, pp. 289-293
- Kuiken, H.K., On the boundary layer in fluid mechanics that decay algebraically along stretches on wall that are not vanishingly small, I. M. A. J. Appl. Math., 27 (1981), 4, pp. 387-405
- Banks, W.H.H., Similarity solutions of the boundary layer equations for stretching wall, J. Mec. Theo. Appl., 2 (1983), 3, pp. 375-392
- Banks, W.H.H., Zaturska, M.B., Eigen solutions in boundary-layer flow adjacent to a stretching wall, I. M. A. J. Appl. Math., 36 (1986), 3, pp. 263-273
- Chakrabarti, A., Gupta, A.S., Hydromagnetic flow and heat transfer over a stretching sheet, Q Appl Math, 37 (1979), pp. 73-78
- Chiam, T.C., Hydromagnetic flow over a surface stretching with a power law velocity, Int. J. Engng. Sci., 33 (1995), 3, pp. 429-435
- Abo-Eldahab, E.M., Salem, A. M., Hall effect on MHD free convection flow of a non Newtonian power law fluid at a stretching surface, Int. Comm. Heat Mass Transfer, 31 (2004), 3, pp. 343-354
- Kechil, S.A., Hashim, I., Series solution for unsteady boundary-layer flows due to impulsively stretching plate, Chinese Physics Letters, 24 (2007), 1, pp. 139-142
- Liao S.J., Series solutions of unsteady boundary-layer flows over a stretching flat plate, Studies in Applied Mathematics, 117 (2006), 3, pp. 239-263
- Vajravelu, K., Hadjinicolaou, A., Heat transfer in a viscous fluid over a stretching sheet with viscous dissipation and internal heat generation, Int Comm Heat Mass Transf, 20 (1993), pp. 417-430
- Abel, M.S., Khan, S.K., Prasad, K.V., Convective heat and mass transfer in a visco-elastic fluid flow through a porous medium over a stretching sheet, Int J Numer Meth Heat Fluid Flow, 11 (2001), pp. 779-792
- Bhargava, R., Kumar, L., Takhar, H.S., Finite element solution of mixed convection micropolar flow driven by a porous stretching sheet, Int J Engng Sci, 41 (2003), pp. 2161-2178
- Rashad, A.M., Radiative effect on heat transfer from a stretching surface in a porous medium, Int. J. of Appl. Math. and Mech., 3 (2007), 4, pp.14-23
- Shafie, S., Amin, N., Pop, I., Unsteady boundary layer due to a stretching sheet in a porous medium using Brinkman equation model, Int J Heat and Technol, 24 (2006), pp. 111-117.
- Veena, P.H., Pravin, V.K., Shahjahan, S.M., Hippargi, V.B., Non-similar solutions for heat and mass transfer flow in an electrically conducting visco-elastic fluid over a stretching sheet embedded in a porous medium, International Journal of Modern Mathematics, 2 (2007), pp. 9-26.
- Sharma, P.R., Singh, G., Effects of ohmic heating and viscous dissipation on steady MHD flow near a stagnation point on an isothermal stretching sheet, Thermal Science, 13 (2009), pp. 5-12.
- Abdullah, I.A., Analytic solution of heat and mass transfer over a permeable stretching plate affected by chemical reaction, internal heating, dufour-soret effect and Hall Effect, Thermal Science, 13 (2009), pp.183-197.
- Kumar, H., Radiative heat transfer with hydromagnetic flow and viscous dissipation over a stretching surface in the presence of variable heat flux, Thermal Science, 13 (2009), pp. 163-169.
- Erdelyi, A., Higher Transcendental Functions, Vol. 1, Mc Graw-Hill Inc., New York, USA, 1953