International Scientific Journal
VERIFICATION AND VALIDATION OF AN ADVANCED GUARDEDHOT PLATE FOR DETERMINATION OF THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY
The guarded hot plate (GHP) method is a widely used technique to measure thermal conductivity of thermal insulation specimens in steady-state conditions. In this paper, an advance of GHP has been developed in the Laboratory for Thermal Technique and Fire Protection in Institute IMS. The innovative GHP has been applied for measuring thermal conductivity using additional heat flux meters. The design of this GHP is similar to the design of the plate for GHP apparatus, however, it has different design: smaller width of thermal barrier, which is filled with insulation glue. Heaters inside hot and guard plates are built from wire for thermocouples, which is a unique type of heater. Geometry of heater has been optimized inside plates to achieve uniform temperature distribution along the specimen surface. Temperature uniformity of GHP and energy balance were experimentally determined. The verification and validation results of improved GHP have been shown. The test method was validated comparing test results of thermal conductivity with results of the round-robin test. Four national companies participated in the round-robin comparison on thermal conductivity measurement by GHP method. The measurement was performed on the same specimen of thermal insulation material (expanded polystyrene) according to SRPS EN 12667 at temperatures ranging between 10-40°C. The measured thermal conductivity of all participants in the round-robin test was input data for statistical processing according to SRPS ISO 5725-2 and ISO 13528. To evaluate the performance of the participants, the “z” score has been used. Measurements were conducted successively for all participants. Since 2020, the Accreditation Body of Serbia also approved this test method.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2022-03-11
PAPER REVISED: 2022-05-30
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2022-06-22
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2022-08-13
, VOLUME 26
, ISSUE Issue 6
, PAGES [4735 - 4747]
- Wang, X.,Lin, Q., Li, J., Energy Saving Technology of Wall Insulation of Harbor Building Based on Energy Cost Analysis, Thermal Science, Vol. 25 (2021), No.6A, pp. 4003-4010
- Mirković Marjanović, M., Gospavić, R., Todorović, G., An Analytical Approach Based on Green's Function to Thermal Response Factors for Composite Planar Structure with Experimental Validation, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Vol. 139 (2019), pp. 129 - 143
- Gojak, M., Kijanović, A., Rudonja, N., Todorović, R., Experimental and Numerical Investigation of Thermal Improvement of Window Frames, Thermal Science, Vol. 25 (2021), No.4A, pp. 2579-2588
- Rottmann, M., Beikircher, T., Ebert, H., Thermal conductivity of evacuated expanded perlite measured with guarded-hot-plate and transient-hot-wire method at temperature between 295 K and 1073 K, Thermal Science, Vol. 152 (2020), pp. 1-13
- Stepanić, N. M., Improvements to the Guarded Hot Plate Method for Thermal Insulating Materials Thermal Conductivity Measurements, Ph. D. thesis, University of Belgrade, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Belgrade, SRB, 2018.
- Kim, D., Lee, S., Yang, I., Verification of thermal conductivity measurements using guarded hot plate and heat flow meter methods, Journal of the Korean Physical Society, (2021), pp. 1996-1202
- Kijanović, A.,Rudonja, N., Gojak, M.,Experimental and Numerical Examination of the Thermal Transmittance of the PVC Window Frame of Six Cavities with Double Glazed Glass Filled with Argon, Proceedings, 50th International congress KGH (2019), Belgrade, Serbia, 2019,pp. 329-334
- Tian, M., Pan, N., Qu, L., Guo, X., Han, G., A Theoretical Analysis of Local Thermal Equilibrium in Fibrous Materials, Thermal Science, Vol. 19 (2015), No.1, pp. 69-82
- Stepanić N., Terzić, M., Radivojević, D., Raković, D., An In Situ Temperature Calibration of a Guarded Hot Plate Apparatus, Thermal Science, Vol. 23 (2019), No.2A, pp. 707-715
- Stepanić, N., Milošević, N., Correction on the Influence of Thermal Contact Resistance in Thermal Conductivity Measurements using the Guarded Hot Plate Method, Serbian Journal of electrical engineering, Vol. 6 (2009), No. 3, pp. 479-488
- ***, ISO 8301 Thermal insulation - Determination of steady-state thermal resistance and related properties - Heat Flow meter apparatus, CEN, 2004.
- ***, ISO 8302 Thermal insulation - Determination of steady-state thermal resistance and related properties - Guarded hot plate apparatus, CEN, 1991.
- ***, SRPS EN 12667 Thermal performance of building materials and products - Determination of thermal resistance by means of guarded hot plate and heat flow meter methods - Products of high and medium thermal resistance, CEN, 2008
- ***, SRPS EN 1946-3 Thermal performance of building products and components - Specific criteria for the assessment of laboratories measuring heat transfer properties - Part 3: Measurements by heat flow meter methods, CEN, 2008.
- ***, SRPS U.A2.020 Testing of buildings materials - Determination of heat conductance coefficient - Heat plate method, 1984.
- Stepanić N., Kijanović, A., Ilić, S., Milošević, N., Ivanišević, D., First National Interlaboratory comparison of thermal conductivity measurements of insulation materials in Serbia, Proceedings, 20th International metrology congress CIM 2021 (2021), Lyon, France, 2021, pp. 138
- ***, SRPS EN 10456 Building materials and products - Hygrothermal properties - Tabulated design values and procedures for determining declared and design thermal values, CEN, 2012.
- ***, Statistical report num. GFT-6538/19-MLP, Interlaboratory test results, Internal document of the Laboratory for thermal technique and fire protection, Belgrade, 2019.
- ***, SRPS ISO5725-2 Accuracy (trueness and precision) of measurement methods and results - Part 2: Basic method for the determination of repeatability and reproducibility of a standard measurement method - Technical Corrigendum 1, CEN, 2007.
- ***, ISO 13528 Statistical methods for use in proficiency testing by interlaboratory comparison, CEN, 2015.