International Scientific Journal
INFLUENCE OF SURFACE ROUGHNESS AND WETTABILITY OF NOVEL SURFACE ON NUCLEATE BOILING PERFORMANCE IN DEIONISED WATER AT ATMOSPHERIC PRESSURE
Pool boiling is one of the very suitable techniques for an efficient thermal management system dealing with two-phases. The present work deals with the experimental exploration of critical heat flux for safety concern and heat transfer coefficient related to the performance point of view in nucleate boiling regime of pool boiling system. The copper substrate was coated with porous copper nanoparticles by sputtering technique to the thicknesses of 250 nm, 500 nm, and 750 nm. The surface characteristics of the copper nanocoated surfaces have been analysed as a result of wettability, surface roughness, and micro-structure. The contact angle goniometer, stylus profilometer, XRD, and SEM have been employed to analyze the surface structure. The maximum augmentation of critical heat flux was 59% for the thickness of 750 nm as compared to plain copper substrate. A 99% increase in the heat transfer coefficient was achieved for 750 nm thickness surface in comparison with the plain copper surface. The tremendous augmentation in critical heat flux and heat transfer coefficient was achieved due to wetting and rewetting properties of the deionized water on the copper nanocoated surfaces. The capillary action on the copper nanostructure improves the fluid supply to the test surface and removes the heat at low wall superheat than the plain copper surface. The average roughness of the copper nanocoated surface augments the heat transfer area which tends to enhance the performance factor significantly.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2021-12-02
PAPER REVISED: 2022-03-03
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2022-03-07
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2022-05-22
, VOLUME 26
, ISSUE Issue 6
, PAGES [4645 - 4656]
- Vasudevan, D.,et.al., Performance and Characterization Studies of Reduced Graphene Oxides Aqua Nanofluids for a Pool Boiling Surface. Int J Thermophys, 41(2020), pp. 1-19. doi.org/10.1007/s10765-020-02651-6
- Rajabzadeh Dareh, F., et.al., Experimental Investigation of Time and Repeated Cycles in Nucleate Pool Boiling of Alumina/Water Nanofluid on Polished and Machined Surfaces. Heat Mass Transfer, 54(2018), pp. 1653-1668. doi.org/10.1007/s00231-017-2266-2
- Asif, K, and Ali, H.M., A Comprehensive Review - Pool boiling using Nanofluids. Thermal Science, 23(2019),5B, pp. 3209-3237. doi.org/10.2298/TSCI190110072K
- Kamel, M.S., et. al., Boiling Heat Transfer of Nanofluids A Review of Recent Studies. Thermal Science, 23(2019), 1, pp. 109-124.doi.org/10.2298/TSCI170419216K
- Gouda, R.K.,et.al.,Pool Boiling Heat Transfer Enhancement with Segmented Finned Microchannels Structured Surface. Int J Heat Mass Transf, 127 (2018), pp. 39-50. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2018.06.115
- Seo, H.,et.al., Effects of Hole Patterns on Surface Temperature Distributions in Pool Boiling. Int J Heat Mass Transf, 120(2018), pp. 587-596. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2017.12.066
- Jo, H.S.,et.al., Supersonically Spray-Coated Copper Meshes as Textured Surfaces for Pool Boiling. Int J Therm Sci, 132(2018), pp. 26-33. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2018.05.041
- Kim, J.S.,et.al., Effect of Surface Roughness on Pool Boiling Heat Transfer of Water on Hydrophobic Surfaces. Int J Heat Mass Transf, 118(2018), pp. 802-811. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2017.10.124
- Nithyanandam,T, and Senthil Kumar, D., Experimental Investigation of Critical Heat Flux on SiO2 Thin Film Deposited Copper Substrate in DI Water at Atmospheric pressure, Thermal Science,24 (2020), pp. 549-556. doi.org/10.2298/TSCI190413434T
- Liu, B.,et.al., Pool Boiling Heat Transfer of N-Pentane on Micro/Nanostructured Surfaces. Int J Therm Sci, 130(2018),pp. 386-394. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2018.05.012
- Udaya Kumar, G.,et.al.,Modified Surfaces using Seamless Graphene/Carbon Nanotubes Based Nanostructures for Enhancing Pool Boiling Heat Transfer. Exp Therm Fluid Sci, 96(2018), pp. 493-506.doi.org/10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2018.03.038
- Udaya Kumar G.,et.al.,Role of Inter-Nanowire Distance in Metal Nanowires on Pool Boiling Heat Transfer Characteristics. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 532(2018), pp. 218-230. doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2018.07.092
- Voglar, J.,et.al., Boiling Performance on Surfaces with Capillary-Length-Spaced One- And Two- Dimensional Laser-Textured Patterns. Int J Heat Mass Transf, 127(2018), pp. 1188-1196. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2018.07.056
- Genbach, A.A., et.al., Boiling Process in Oil Coolers on Porous Elements. Thermal Science, 20(2016), 5, pp. 1777-1789. doi.org/10.2298/TSCI150602166G
- Holguin, R.,et.al.,Enhanced Boiling Heat Transfer on Binary Surfaces.Int J Heat Mass Transf, 114(2017), pp. 1105-1113. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2017.06.132
- Das, S.,et.al., Experimental Studyof Nucleate Pool Boiling Heat Transfer of Water by Surface Functionalization with SiO2 Nanostructure. Exp ThermFluid Sci, 81(2017), pp. 454-465. doi.org/10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2016.09.009
- Das S.,et.al., Experimental Study of Nucleate Pool Boiling Heat Transfer of Water by Surface Functionalization with Crystalline TiO2 Nanostructure. ApplThermEng,113(2017), pp. 1345-1357. doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2016.11.135
- Udaya Kumar, G.,et.al.,Effect of Diameter of Metal Nanowires on Pool Boiling Heat Transfer with FC-72. Appl Surf Sci, 423(2017), pp. 509-520. doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2017.06.135
- Jaikumar, A.,et.al., Scale Effects of Graphene and Graphene Oxide Coatings on Pool Boiling Enhancement Mechanisms. Int J Heat Mass Transf, 109(2017), pp. 357-366. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2017.01.110
- An, S.,et.al.,Supersonically Sprayed Reduced Graphene Oxide Film to Enhance Critical Heat Flux in Pool Boiling. Int J Heat Mass Transf, 98(2016), pp. 124-130. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2016.03.027
- Pratik, K.C.,et.al.,Saturated Pool Boiling Heat Transfer from Vertically Oriented Silicon Surfaces Modified with Foam-Like Hexagonal Boron Nitride Nanomaterial.Int J Heat Mass Transf, 95(2016), pp. 964-971. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2016.01.006
- Dharmendra, M.,et.al.,Pool Boiling Heat Transfer Enhancement using Vertically Aligned Carbon Nanotube Coatings on A Copper Substrate. ApplThermEng, 99(2016), pp. 61-71. doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2015.12.081
- Hegde, R.N.,et.al.,Boiling Induced Nanoparticle Coating and its Effect on Pool Boiling Heat Transfer on A Vertical Cylindrical Surface using CuONanofluids. Heat Mass Transfer,48(2012), pp. 1549-1557.doi.org/10.1007/s00231-012-0996-8
- Alangar,S., Boiling of Saturated Water on Grooved Surface, Thermal Science,23 (2019), 2B, pp.1095-1104.doi.org/10.2298/TSCI180105203S
- Gangtao, L., et. al., Review of pool boiling enhancement with additives and nanofluids,Int J Heat Mass Transf,124(2018),pp. 423-453. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2018.03.046.
- Le Ba, T, et.al.,Experimental Study of Halloysite Nanofluids in Pool Boiling Heat Transfer. Molecules 27(2022), 729.doi.org/10.3390/molecules27030729
- Liang,G, et.al.,Review of Single-Phase and Two-Phase Nanofluid Heat Transfer in Macro-Channels and Micro-Channels. Int J Heat Mass Transf, 136 (2019), pp.324-354. .doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2019.02.086.
- Mohammed S.K.,et. al.,Enhancement of Pool Boiling Heat Transfer Performance using Dilute Cerium Oxide/Water Nanofluid: An Experimental Investigation,International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer,114(2020),104587. doi.org/10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2020.104587.
- Kamel, M, S.,et. al.,Ameliorationof Pool Boiling Thermal Performance in Case of using A New Hybrid Nanofluid. Case Studies in Thermal Engineering, 24(2021),pp. 100872. doi.org/10.1016/j.csite.2021.100872.
- Kamel, M, S.,et. al., Experimental Investigation on Pool Boiling Heat Transfer Performance Using Tungsten Oxide WO3 Nanomaterial-Based Water Nanofluids, Materials, 13(2020), pp. 1922. doi.org/10.3390/ma13081922.
- Kline, S.J.,et.al.,Describing Uncertainties in Single-Sample Experiments. Mechanical Engineering, 75(1953), pp. 3-8.
- Rohsenow, W.M., A Method of Correlating Heat Transfer Data for Surface Boiling of Liquids. Trans Am Soc Mech Engrs, 74(1952), pp. 969-975. hdl.handle.net/1721.1/61431
- Zuber, N.,On the Stability of Boiling Heat Transfer. Trans Am Soc Mech Engrs,80(1958), pp. 711-720.
- Kutateladze, S.S.,A Hydrodynamic Theory of Changes in Boiling Process under Free Convection. IzvAkademiaNaukOtdelenieTekh. Nauk, 4(1954), pp. 529-536.
- Lienhard, J.H, Dhir, V.K.,Hydrodynamic Prediction of Peak Pool Boiling Heat Fluxes from Finite Bodies. J of Heat Transfer, 95(1973), pp. 152-158. doi.org/10.1115/1.3450014
- Yagov, V.V., Is A Crisis in Pool Boiling actually A Hydrodynamic Phenomenon? Int J Heat Mass Tran, 73(2014), pp. 265-273.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2014.01.076
- Li, C, Peterson, G.P.,Parametric Study of Pool Boiling on Horizontal HighlyConductive Microporous Coated Surfaces. J Heat Transfer, 129(2007), pp. 1465-1475. doi.org/10.1115/1.2759969
- Kandlikar,S,G.,A Theoretical Model to Predict Pool Boiling CHF Incorporating Effects of Contact Angle and Orientation.J Heat Transfer, 123(2001), pp. 1071-1079.doi.org/10.1115/1.1409265
- Liao, L.,et.al.,Compositive Effects of Orientation and Contact Angle on CriticalHeat Flux in Pool Boiling of Water. Heat Mass Transf, 44(2008), pp. 1447-1453.doi.org/10.1007/s00231-008-0384-6
- Theofanous, T.G, Dinh, T.N.,High Heat Flux Boiling and Burnout of Microphysical Phenomena: Mounting Evidence and Opportunities. Multiphase Sci Technol,18(2006), pp. 1-26.doi.org/10.1615/MultScienTechn.v18.i3.30
- Auracher, H.,et.al.,New Experimental Results on Steady-State and Transient Pool Boiling Heat Transfer.Therm Sci Eng, 9(2001), pp. 29-39.
- Moissis, R, Berenson, P.J.,On the Hydrodynamic Transitions in Nucleate Boiling, ASME 62, 8(1962), Natl Heat Transfer Conf 2.
- MacNamara,R,J., et.al., Enhanced Nucleate Pool Boiling on Copper-Diamond Textured Surfaces,Appl. Therm.Eng,162(2019),114145.
- Khan, S, A., et.al., Design, Fabrication and Nucleate Pool Boiling Heat Transfer Performance of Hybrid Micro-Nano Scale 2D Modulated Porous Surfaces, Appl. Therm. Eng, 153 (2019), pp. 168-180.
- Gupta, S, K., et.al., Experimental Study of Pool Boiling Heat Transfer on Copper Surfaces with Cu-Al2O3 Nanocomposite Coatings, Int. Commun. Heat Mass Transfer, 97 (2018), pp. 47-.55
- Saffari, H., et. al., Experimental Study of Pool Boiling Enhancement for Surface Structuring with Inclined Intersected Mesochannelsusing WEDM Method on Copper Surfaces, J. Thermal Anal. Calorimetry, 139 (2020), pp. 1849-1861.
- Chen, G.,et. al., Pool Boiling enhancement of Novel Interconnected Microchannels with Re-Entrant Cavities for High Power Electronics Cooling, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 156 (2020) pp. 119836.
- Hai, F., et. al.,Enhanced Pool Boiling Performance of Microchannel Patterned Surface with Extremely Low Wall Superheat through Capillary Feeding of Liquid, Nanoscale Microscale Thermophys. Eng. 24 (2) (2020), pp. 66-79.
- Pi, G., et.al.,Pool Boiling Performance of 3d-Printed Reentrant Microchannels Structures, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer,156 (2020), pp. 119920
- Cho, H., et. al.,Fabrication of Micro-Patterned Surface for Pool Boiling Enhancement by using Powder Injection Molding Process, Materials, 12 (3) (2019), pp. 507.