International Scientific Journal
AN ADAPTIVE APPROACH TO DUCT OPTIMIZATION OF AN INDUSTRIAL BOILER AIR SUPPLY SYSTEM USING AIRFOILS
The purpose of this paper is to examine the pressure drop caused by placing an airfoil at different angles of attack in the straight part of the rectangular air duct, as the first step of investigating the possibility of using a staggered cascade of airfoils for gradual deflection of the air-flow in radial elbows of an air supply system used in industrial boilers. The initial problem was approached by using the commercial CFD code based on the finite volume method to numerically simulate a 2-D incompressible turbulent flow and by conducting direct experimental measurements in the wind tunnel. The results of CFD simulations have been compared to experimentally measured data for two considered cases of inlet velocities and five different angles of attack. Numerical solutions show an adequate level of agreement with experimental measurements. The obtained results indicate the possibility of using a staggered cascade of airfoils for gradual deflection of the air-flow.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2021-02-06
PAPER REVISED: 2021-04-15
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2021-04-22
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2021-05-08
, VOLUME 26
, ISSUE Issue 3
, PAGES [2103 - 2112]
- Mihailović, M., et al., Solution for Eliminating Noise from the Installation of Air Conditioning, Proceedings, 27th International Congress on Process Engineering - Processing '14, Belgrade, 2017, Vol. 27, pp. 1-19.
- Bekavac, V., Noise Problems of Air Conditioning Plants (in Serbian language), KGH - Heating, Ventilation and Air-Conditioning, 45 (2017), 2, pp. 81-92.
- Ver, L. I., Beranek, L. L., Noise and Vibration Control Engineering: Principles and Applications, John Wiley & Sons Inc., Hoboken, USA, 2006.
- Trninić, R. M., et. al., Air Duct Modification Towards Outlet Pressure Drop and Vibration Level Reduction (in Serbian language), Tehnika, 75 (2020), 4, pp. 457-466.
- Kumar, R. S., Pentakota, A. K., Computational Fluid Dynamics Simulations of Pipe Elbow Flow, International Journal of Professional Engineering Studies, 9 (2017), 2, pp. 1-10.
- Didwania, M., et. al., Analysis of Turbulent Flow over a 90° Bend of Duct Using In Centralized A. C. Plant by CFD Code, IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering, 11 (2014), 4, pp. 41-48.
- Li, Y., et. al., Dean Instability and Secondary Flow Structure in Curved Rectangular Ducts, International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 68 (2017), pp. 189-202.
- Bhatia, A., Improving Energy Efficiency of Boiler Systems: Quick Book, CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2015.
- Haines, R. W., Myers, M. E., HVAC Systems Design Handbook, McGraw-Hill Education, 2009.
- Vandagriff, R., Practical Guide to Industrial Boiler Systems, CRC Press, 2001.
- Ivan, B., Drag and pressure coefficient calculation for subcritical Reynolds number flow around a cylinder, Undergraduate thesis, University of Zagreb, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture, Zagreb, 2016.
- Vidaković, B. M., Banjac, M. J., Improvement of CFD models of tunnel fire development based on experimental data, Thermal Science, 21 (2017), 13, pp. 705-716.
- Harlow, F. H., Nakayama, P. I., Transport of Turbulence Energy Decay Rate, Report No.: LA-3854, Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory, New Mexico, United States, 1968.
- Launder, B., Spalding, D., The Numerical Computation of Turbulent Flows, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 3 (1974), 2, pp. 269-289.