Investigation on Diesel engine with minimized fuel consumption rate and increased output power is not the meaningful procedure if irreversibility in the thermodynamic system is ignored. This current procedure is aimed to signify the importance of exergy analysis in Diesel engine performance on the perspective of Second law of thermodynamics analysis. In this study, diesel-cotton seed oil blends were tested on engine running with direct fuel injection mode of operation. The experiments were conducted with diesel (D), 5% cotton seed oil-95% diesel (CB5), 10% cotton seed oil-90% diesel (CB10), and 15% cotton seed oil-85% diesel (CB15) for estimation of brake power, energy rate, and exergy rate in the fuel and exhaust, heat release rate, exergy destruction, ideal efficiency (I law), and actual (II law) efficiency. The results outcome that an increase in trend was observed in the fuel exergy and thermal exergy loss with engine speed for D, CB5, CB10, and CB15. The loss of exergy, heat release rate, percentage of exergy and exergy transferred through exhaust gases decreased for CB5, CB10, and CB15 compared to diesel.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2020-08-08
PAPER REVISED: 2021-06-05
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2021-06-20
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2021-10-10
, VOLUME 26
, ISSUE Issue 1
, PAGES [353 - 362]
- Rameshbabu, A., et al., Emission and performance investigation on the effect of nano-additive on neat biodiesel, Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects, 43(2019), 11, pp.1315-1328.
- Alkidas, K.C., The Application of Availability and Energy Balances to a Diesel Engine, Trans ASME J Eng Gas Turbines Power,110 (1989),pp. 462-469.
- Canakci, Mustafa, et al., Energy and exergy analyses of a diesel engine fuelled with various biodiesels, Energy Sources, Part B, 1, (2006),4,pp. 379-394.
- Azoumah, et al., Exergy efficiency applied for the performance optimization of a direct injection compression ignition (CI) engine using biofuels, Renewable Energy 34(2009),6,pp. 1494-1500.
- Murugesan, A., et al.,Bio-diesel as an alternative fuel for diesel engines—a review, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 13, (2009),3,pp. 653-662.
- Azoumah, Yao., et al., Exergy efficiency applied for the performance optimization of a direct injection compression ignition (CI) engine using biofuels, Renewable Energy, 34(2008), pp. 1494-1500.
- Groniewsky, A., et al., Exergoeconomic Optimization of a Thermal Power Plant Using Particle Swarm Optimization, Thermal Science, 17 (2013), 2, pp. 509-524.
- Açikkalp, et al., Performance of a compression ignition engine operated with sunflower ethyl ester under different engine loads, Journal of Energy in Southern Africa, 25, (2014), 2, pp.- 81-90.
- Farshad Meisami, et al., Exergy and economic analysis of a Diesel engine fueled with castor oil biodiesel, International Journal of Engine Research,16(2015),5,pp. 691-702.
- Mitrovic, D. M., et al., Comparative Exergetic Performance Analysis for Certain Thermal Power Plants in Serbia, Thermal Science, 20 (2016), Suppl. 5, pp. S1259-S1269
- Unal, F., Ozkan, D. B., Application of Exergoeconomic Analysis for Power Plants, Thermal Science, 22(2017), 6, pp.2653-2666.
- Krasniqi Alidema Drenusha, T.I., et al., Exergy efficiency analysis of lignite-fired steam generator, Thermal Science, 22(2018), 5,pp.2087- 2101.
- Matulić, N., et al., Thermodynamic analysis of active modular internal combustion engine concept: Targeting efficiency increase and carbon dioxide emissions reduction of gasoline engines, International Journal of Energy Research, 42(2018), 9, pp.3017-3029.
- Panigrahi, N., et al., Energy and Exergy Analysis of a Diesel Engine Fuelled with Diesel and Simarouba Biodiesel Blends. J. Inst. Eng. India Ser, 99(2018), pp.9-17.
- Olusola Bamisile., et al., Energy, exergy and al., Environmental analyses of a biomass driven multi-generation system, International Journal of Exergy, 31(2020),3,pp.249 - 267.
- Hamidreza Mahabadipour, et al., An exergy analysis methodology for internal combustion engines using a multi-zone simulation of dual fuel low temperature combustion, Applied Energy, 256(2019),
- Golmohammad Khoobbakht, Kamran Kheiralipour, Hamed Rasouli, Mojtaba Rafiee, Mehrdad Hadipour, Mahmoud Karimi, Experimental exergy analysis of transesterification in biodiesel production, Energy,Volume 196(2020),117092.
- Bengi Gözmen Şanli, et al., Energy and exergy analysis of a diesel engine fuelled with diesel and biodiesel fuels at various engine speeds, Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects,42(2019),1,pp.1299-1313.
- Senthilkumar,G., et al., Evaluation of emission, performance and combustion characteristics of dual fuelled research diesel engine", Environmental Technology,41(2020),6, pp.711-718.
- Gobinath, S., et al., Air nanobubble-enhanced combustion study using mustard biodiesel in a common rail direct injection engine, Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects, 41(2018), 15, pp.1809-1816.