International Scientific Journal
OPTIMIZATION AND CFD ANALYSIS OF A SHELL-AND-TUBE HEAT EXCHANGER WITH A MULTI SEGMENTAL BAFFLE
The shell-and-tube type heat exchangers have long been widely used in many fields of industry. These types of heat exchangers are generally easy to design, manufacturing, and maintenance, but require relatively large spaces to install. Therefore, the optimization of such heat exchangers from thermal and economical points of view is of particular interest. In this article, an optimization procedure based on the minimum total cost (initial investment plus operational costs) has been applied. Then the flow analysis of the optimized heat exchanger has been carried out to reveal possible flow field and temperature distribution inside the equipment using CFD. The experimental results were compared with CFD analyses results. It has been concluded that the baffles play an important role in the development of the shell side flow field. This prompted us to investigate new baffle geometries without compromising from the overall thermal performance. It has been found that the heat exchanger with the new baffle design gives rise to considerably lower pressure drops in the shell side, which in turn reducing operating cost. The new baffle design is particularly well suited for shell-and-tube heat exchangers, where a viscous fluid-flows through shell side with/out phase change.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2020-02-22
PAPER REVISED: 2020-09-07
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2020-09-16
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2020-10-10
, VOLUME 26
, ISSUE Issue 1
, PAGES [1 - 12]
- Sharma, S., Dewangan, R. K., A Review On Shell And Tube Heat Exchanger (Sthx) Using Various Orientation Angle Of Baffle, IJESRT International Journal of Engineering Sciences & Research Technology, Vol. 6(10), 2017.
- Petrik, M., Szepesi, G. L., Shell Side CFD Analysis of a Model Shell-and-Tube Heat Exchanger, Chemical Engineering Transactions, 70(2018), pp. 313-318.
- Master, B.I., Chunangad, K.S., Boxma, A.J., Kral, D., Stehlík, P., Most Frequently Used Heat Exchangers from Pioneering Research to Worldwide Applications, Heat Transfer Engineering, 27(2006), pp. 4-11.
- Markovska, L., Mesko, V., Kiprijanova, R., Grizo, A., Optimum Design of Shell-and-Tube Heat Exchanger, Bulletin of the Chemists and Technologits of Macedonia, 15(1996), pp. 39 - 44.
- Singh, S.K. and Stephan, D., 2014 www.process-worldwide.com/
- Kern DQ, Process heat transfer. (New York (NY): McGraw-Hill, 1950).
- Bell, K.J., Delaware method for shell side design. In: Kakac S, Bergles AE, Mayinger F, editors. Heat exchangers: thermal-hydraulic fundamentals and design. New York: Hemisphere, 1981, pp. 581-618.
- Mcadams, W.H., Heat Transmission, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954.
- Babu, B. V., Shaik, M.A., Differential evolution strategies for optimal design of shell-and-tube heat exchangers, Chemical Engineering Science, 62(2007), pp. 3720-3739.
- Leoni, G.B., Klein, S. T., De A., R., Medronho, Assessment with computational fluid dynamics of the effects of baffle clearances on the shell side flow in a shell and tube heat exchanger, Applied Thermal Engineering, 112(2017), pp. 497-506.
- Ambekar, A.S., Sivukamar, R., Anantharaman, N., Vivekenandan, M., CFD simulation study of shell and tube heat exchangers with different baffle segment configurations, Applied Thermal Engineering, 108(2016), pp. 999-1007.
- Irshad, M., Kaushar, M., Rajmohan, G., Design and CFD Analysis of Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger, International Journal of Engineering Science and Computing. 7(2017), pp. 6453--6457.
- Ravanagi, M.A.S.S., Silva, A.P., Biscaia, E.C., Cabalero, J.A., Optimal Design of Shell-and-Tube Heat Exchangers Using Particle Swarm Optimization, Industrial & Engineering Chemıstry Research, 48(2009), pp. 2927-2935.
- Abd, A.A., Naji, S.Z., Analysis study of shell and tube heat exchanger for clough company with reselect different parameters to improve the design, Case Studies in Thermal Engineering, 10(2017), pp. 455-467.
- Bhandurge, S.R., Wankhade, A.M., Jadhao, P.K., Talwekar, N.P., Analysis and Experimentation of Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger with Different Orientation of Baffles, International Journal for Research in Applied Science and Engineering Technology, 4(2016), pp. 490--503.
- Edwards, J.E., Design and Rating Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger, Teesside, UK, 2008.
- Ponce, J.M., Serna, M., Rico, V., Jimenez, A., Optimal design of shell-and-tube heat exchangers using genetic algorithms, 16th European Symposium on Computer Aided Process Engineering and and 9th International Symposium on Process Systems Engineering, 21(2006), pp. 985-990.
- Varga, T., Szepesi, G., Siménfalvi, Z., Horizontal scraped surface heat exchanger - Experimental measurements and numerical analysis, Pollack Periodica, 12(2017), pp. 107-122.
- Azad, A.V., Amidpour, M., Economic optimization of shell and tube heat exchanger based on constructal theory, Energy, 36(2011), pp. 1087-1096.
- Shrikant, A.A., Sivakumar, R., Vivekanandan, M., Comparison of Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger using Theoretical Methods, HTRI, ASPEN and SOLIDWORKS simulation softwares, Int. Journal of Engineering Research and Application, 6(2016), pp. 99-107.
- Sanaye, S., Hajabdollahi, H., Multi-objective optimization of shell and tube heat exchangers, Applied Thermal Engineering, 30 (2010), pp. 1937-1945.
- Jegede, F.O., Polley, G.T., Optimum Heat-Exchanger Design, Chemical Engineerıng Research & Design, 70(1992), pp. 133-141.
- Engin, T., Güngör, K.E., Gövde-Boru Tipi Isı Değiştirgeçlerinin Tasarım ve Maliyet Parametrelerine Göre Optimizasyonu, TÜBİTAK-Türk Mühendislik ve Çevre Bilimleri Dergisi, 20(1996), pp. 313-322.
- Turchi, A., Congedo, M., P., Helber, B., Magin, E., T., Thermochemical ablation modeling forward uncertainty analysis——Part II: Application to plasma wind--tunnel testing, International Journal of Thermal Sciences 118 (2017) pp. 510--517