International Scientific Journal
EXPERIMENTAL AND NUMERICAL INVESTIGATION OF THERMAL IMPROVEMENT OF WINDOW FRAMES
This article presents experimental and numerical determinations of thermal transmittance performed on three different types of window frames (vinyl, aluminium, and wooden) within the same insulated glass unit. Good agreement between experimental and numerical results was attained. Using the numerical models, thermal improvement techniques of the frames and their influence on thermal transmittance of frames were studied. The first thermal improvement technique was using the insulation materials inserted inside large air cavities. By filling the cavity of vinyl frame with the polyurethane foam, thermal transmittance of vinyl frame was lowered by 10%. The second technique was based on repeating the procedure with materials installed inside frames with the materials that have lower thermal conductivity. This technique can be applied on thermal breaks and on steel profiles inside cavities. The result of this thermal improvement (attained by replacing thermal break material with material that has lower thermal conductivity) was certain reduction of the thermal transmittance of frames, by 9%. Using stainless steel instead of the oxidized steel was reduction of the thermal transmittance of vinyl frame by 3%. For the case of wooden frames the influence of shifting glazing unit deeper into profile upon the thermal transmittance of the frame was analyzed. Installing the glass unit by 5 mm deeper into the wooden frame reduced glass thermal transmittance by 5%.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2020-01-20
PAPER REVISED: 2020-03-10
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2020-03-11
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2020-06-07
, VOLUME 25
, ISSUE Issue 4
, PAGES [2579 - 2588]
- Kijanović, A., Rudonja, N. and Gojak, M.: Experimental and numerical examination of the thermal transmittance of the PVC window frame of six cavities with double glazed glass filled with argon, 50th In- ternational HVAC&R congress and exhibition, 2019.
- Astrubali, F., Baldinelli, G. and Bianchi, F.: Influence of cavities geometric and emissivity properties on the overall thermal performance of aluminum frames for windows, Energy and Buildings, 60 (2013), pp. 298309, 2013.
- Larsson, U., Moshfegh, B., Sandberg, M.: Thermal analysis of super insulated windows (numerical and experimental investigations), Energy and Buildings, 29, Issue 2, 1999, pp. 121-128.
- Van den Bossche, N., Buffel, L. and Janssens, A.: Thermal optimization of window frames, 6th International Building Physics Conference, IBPC 2015, Energy and Buildings, 78 (2015), pp. 25002505.
- Wright, J., Sullivan, H. and Bianchi, F.: A Two-dimensional numerical model for natural convection in a vertical, rectangular window cavity, ASHRAE Transactions,100 (1994), Part 2.
- Gustavsen, A., Uvslokk, Kohler, Ch., Goudey, H., Talev, G., Arasteh, D., Jelle, B.: Examination of the Thermal Transmittance of High Performance Window Frames, United States, 2010.
- ISO 12567-1 Thermal performance of windows and doors Determination of thermal transmittance by hot-box method Part 1: Complete windows and doors, CEN, July 2010.
- ISO 15099 Thermal performance of windows, doors and shading devices - Detailed calculations, ISO, 2010.
- ISO 10077-2 Thermal performance of windows, doors and shutters - Calculation of thermal transmittance- Part 2: Numerical method for frames, ISO, 2017.
- THERM 7/ WINDOW 7 NFRC Simulation Manual, National Fenestration Rating Council, USA, 2017.
- Stojanović, V.: Construction locksmith's manual, Grafostil, Kragujevac, Serbia, 2008.
- Gustavsen, A., Arasteh, L., Kohler, Ch., and Curcija, D.: Two-Dimensional Conduction and CFD Sim- ulations of Heat Transfer in Horizontal Window Frame Cavities, OR-05-4-3, ASHRAE, 2005.
- Imaoka, Sh.: View-Factoring Radiation into ANSYS Workbench Simulation, ANSYS Inc., ANSYS Ad- vantage, Volume I, Issue I, 2007.
- Gustavsen, A., Arasteh, L., Jelle, B., and Curcija, Ch., Kohler, Ch.: Developing Low-Conductance Win- dow Frames: Capabilities and Limitations of Current Window Heat Transfer Design Tools, United States: N.p., 2008.
- ISO 10077-1 Thermal performance of windows, doors and shutters - Calculation of thermal transmit- tance - Part 1: General, ISO, 2006.
- Vasiljević, B., Banjac, M.: Handbook of Thermodynamics, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Belgrade, Serbia, 2012.