Wind power assessment in complex terrain is a very demanding task. Modeling wind conditions with standard linear models does not sufficiently reproduce wind conditions in complex terrains, especially on leeward sides of terrain slopes, primarily due to the vorticity. A more complex non-linear model, based on Reynolds averaged Navier-Stokes equations has been used. Turbulence was modeled by modified two-equations k-ε model for neutral atmospheric boundary-layer conditions, written in general curvelinear non-orthogonal co-ordinate system. The full set of mass and momentum conservation equations as well as turbulence model equations are numerically solved, using the as CFD technique. A comparison of the application of linear model and non-linear model is presented. Considerable discrepancies of estimated wind speed have been obtained using linear and non-linear models. Statistics of annual electricity production vary up to 30% of the model site. Even anemometer measurements directly at a wind turbine’s site do not necessarily deliver the results needed for prediction calculations, as extrapolations of wind speed to hub height is tricky. The results of the simulation are compared by means of the turbine type, quality and quantity of the wind data and capacity factor. Finally, the comparison of the estimated results with the measured data at 10, 30, and 50 m is shown.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2019-12-07
PAPER REVISED: 2019-12-20
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2019-12-27
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2020-01-04
, VOLUME 24
, ISSUE Issue 6
, PAGES [3795 - 3806]
- Schaffner B., Wind Modeling in Mountains: Intercomparison and Validation of Models, study for METEOTEST, Bern, Switzerland and 2VECTOR AS, Tonsberg, Norway.
- WAsP (Wind Atlas Analysis and Application Program), Wind Energy Department at Risø National Laboratory, Denmark.
- WindSim - Delft University, Denmark, available as module of PHOENICS software package.
- Stevanović, Ž., Numerički aspekti turbulentnog prenošenja impulsa i toplote - in Serbian (Numerical aspects of the turbulent momentum and heat transfer), Faculty of Mechanical engineering, Niš, 2008.
- Živković P., Wind energy estimations in terrain with complex orography - comparative methodology analysis, Magister thesis, Faculty of Mechanical engineering, Niš, 2006.
- Schneider, D. R. et al., Mapping the potential for decentralized energy generation based on RES in Western Balkans, Thermal Science, Vol. 11, Issue 3 (2007), pp 7-26.
- Živković P., Ilić G., Stevanović Ž., Wind Power Assessment in Complex Terrains of Serbia, Proceedings, 21st International Conference on Efficiency, Cost, Optimization, Simulation and Environmental Impact of Energy Systems, Cracow-Gliwice, Poland, June 24-27, 2008, pp 1141-1148.
- Živković, P. et al., Possibilities of wind energy usage in the ski center Kopaonik, Proceedings, The 12th Anniversary International Conference on Accomplishments in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering and Information Technology DEMI 2015,, Banjaluka, Bosnia and Herzegovina, May 29-30, 2015, pp. 373-378.
- Stevanović, Ž. M., Mirkov, N. S., Stevanović, Ž. Ž., Stojanović, A. D., Validation of atmospheric boundary layer turbulence model by on-site measurements, Thermal Science, Vol. 14, Issue 1 (2010), pp 199-207.
- Pezo, M. L., Bakić, V. V., Marković, Z. J., Structural analysis of guyed mast exposed to wind action, Thermal Science, Vol. 20, Issue Suppl. 5 (2016), pp S1473-S1483.
- Bakić, V. V., Živković, G. S., Pezo, M. L., Numerical simulation of the air flow around the arrays of solar collectors, Thermal Science, Vol. 15, Issue 2 (2011), pp 457-465.
- Bakić, V. V. et al., Technical analysis of photovoltaic/wind systems with hydrogen storage, Thermal Science, Vol. 16, Issue 3 (2012), pp 865-875.
- Bakić V. V., Živković, G. S., Pezo, M. L., Techno-economic analysis of stand-alone photovoltaic/wind/battery/hydrogen systems for very small-scale applications, Thermal Science, Vol. 20, Issue Suppl. 1 (2016), pp S261-S273.
- Živković, P. M. et al., Hybrid soft computing control strategies for improving the energy capture of a wind farm, Thermal Science, Vol. 16, Issue Suppl. 2 (2012), pp S483-S491.
- Živković, P. M. et al., Influence of the changing wind climate on wind potentials of the Mount Kopaonik, Facta Universitatis, Series: Mechanical Enginnering, Vol. 15, Issue 3 (2017), pp 507-516.
- Регистар повлашћених произвођача електричне енергије 13.09.2017. - in Serbian (Registry of the privileged producers of electrical energy at 13.09.2017.), Ministry of the Mining and Energy, mre.gov.rs/doc/registar13.09.17.html
- Planić, I., Poznavanje planina za planinarske vodiče - in Serbian (Knowledge of mountains for hiking guides), Mountaineering association of Serbia, Subotica, Serbia (2015), pp. 17.