International Scientific Journal
EXPERIMENTAL INVESTIGATION ON OPERATION PARAMETERS OF 3Å MOLECULAR SIEVE DESICCANT COATED TOTAL ENERGY RECOVERY WHEEL FOR MAXIMUM EFFECTIVENESS
The object of this research study was to investigate the maximum effectiveness values of the energy wheel by experimental tests conducted under extreme difference ambient air conditions parameters, different air volume flow rates, and energy wheel rotation speeds. Air temperature and humidity experimental tests were performed using a test facility that was developed and installed into the Indoor Air Quality and Thermal Comfort Laboratory of Budapest University of Technology and Economics. Our objective was to get the effectiveness values of sorption coated air-to-air energy recovery wheel for steady-state conditions under different ambient air (as supply air inlet) conditions. It was found that the sensible effectiveness increases by decreasing the volumetric flow rate through the wheel, and the optimum values of the effectiveness were given at the maximum wheel rotation speed based on the tests. As for the latent and total effectivenesses, their characteristics show an increasing trend by decreasing the air volume flow rate, ambient air temperature and relative humidity and increasing the wheel rotation speed.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2018-09-27
PAPER REVISED: 2018-12-11
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2018-12-20
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2019-01-13
, VOLUME 24
, ISSUE Issue 3
, PAGES [2113 - 2124]
- Hossein, J., et al., A Comprehensive Review of Backfill Materials and Their Effects on Ground Heat Exchanger Performance, Sustainability, 10 (2018), 12, pp. 1-22.
- Jozsef, N., et al., Investment-savings method for energy-economic optimization of external wall thermal insulation thickness, Energy and Buildings, 86 (2014), pp. 268-274
- Rasheed, A., et al., Development and Optimization of a Building Energy Simulation Model to Study the Effect of Greenhouse Design Parameters, Energies, 11 (2018), 8, pp. 1 - 19
- Vanesa, V., et al., Effect of increasing temperatures on cooling systems. A case of study: European greenhouse sector, Climatic Change, 123 (2014), 2, pp. 175-187
- Seyed, A. G., Mazlan, A. W., 2018, Heat Transfer Enhancement and Pressure Drop for Fin-and-Tube Compact Heat exchangers with Delta Winglet-Type Vortex Generators, Facta Universitatis, Series: Mechanical Engineering, 16 (2018), 2, pp. 233 - 247
- Róbert, S., The Analysis of Two-Phase Condensation Heat Transfer Models Based on the Comparison of the Boundary Condition, Acta Polytechniquea Hungarica, 9 (2002), 6, pp. 167-180
- Đorđević, et al., Experimental investigation of the convective heat transfer in a spirally coiled corrugated tube with radiant heating, Facta Universitatis Series: Mechanical Engineering, 15 (2017), 3, pp. 495 - 506
- Ali, A., Mazyar, S., Finding a criterion for the pressure loss of energy recovery exchangers in HVAC systems from thermodynamic and economic points of view, Energy and Buildings, 166 (2018). pp. 426-437
- Sahdev, R.K., et al., Forced convection drying of indian groundnut: an experimental study, Facta Universitatis Series: Mechanical Engineering, 15 (2017), 3, pp. 467 - 477.
- Hammad, M., et al., Green building design solution for a kindergarten in Amman, Energy and Buildings, 76 (2014), pp. 524-537
- Yau Y., et al., Heat Pipe Heat Exchanger and its Potential to Energy Recovery in the Tropics. Thermal Science, 19 (2015), pp. 1685-1697
- Sanaye S., et al., Thermal-Economic Multi-Objective Optimization of Heat Pipe Heat Exchanger For Energy Recovery in HVAC Application Using Genetic Algorithm, Thermal Science, 18 (2014), pp. 375-391
- Papakostas K., et al., Energy and Economic Analysis of an Auditorium's Air Conditioning System With Heat Recovery in Various Climatic Zones, Thermal Science, 22 (2018), pp. 933-943
- ASHRAE, Principles of Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning. American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers, Inc. Atlanta, USA, 2005.
- Simonson, C., et al., Heat and Moisture Transfer in Energy Wheels during Sorption, Condensation, and Frosting Conditions, Journal of heat transfer-transactions of ASME, 120 (1997), pp. 699
- Sparrow, E., et al., Heat and mass transfer characteristics of a rotating regenerative total energy wheel, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 50 (2007), pp. 1631-1636
- Jeong, J., et al., Practical thermal performance correlations for molecular sieve and silica gel loaded enthalpy wheels, Applied Thermal Engineering, 25 (2005), pp.719-740
- Harmati, N., et al., Energy Performance Modelling and Heat Recovery Unit Efficiency Assessment of an Office Building, Thermal Science, 19 (2015) pp. 865-880
- Angrisani, G., et al., Experimental analysis on the dehumidification and thermal performance of a desiccant wheel, Applied Energy, 92 (2012), pp. 563-572
- Hoval Enventus, Rotary heat exchangers for Heat Recovery in Ventilation Systems. 2018
- ASHRAE, HVAC Applications, Inc. Atlanta, GA, USA, 2011.
- ASHARE. ASHARE Handbook: HVAC Systems and Equipment, Inc. Atlanta, GA, USA, 2008
- Kline, S. J. et al., Describing the uncertainties in single sample experiments, Mechanical Engineering, 75 (1953), 1, pp. 3-8
- Holman, J. P., Analysis of experimental data, in: Experimental methods for engineers, McGraw-Hill, London, 2001, pp. 48-60