International Scientific Journal
WATER COOLED MICRO-HOLE CELLULAR STRUCTURE AS A HEAT DISSIPATION MEDIA: AN EXPERIMENTAL AND NUMERICAL STUDY
Thermal performance of micro-hole cellular structure using water as a cooling fluid was investigated through computational fluid dynamics (CFD) and then numerical results were validated with the experimental results. The minimum base temperature for the micro-hole cellular structure was found to be 29.70C and 32.30C numerically and experimentally respectively with volumetric flow rate of 0.000034m3/s (2LPM) at a heating power of 345W. Numerical values of the base temperature are in close agreement with experimental results with an error of 8.75%. Previously, the base temperatures of heat sinks using alumina nano-fluid with 1% of volumetric concentration and water with volumetric flow rate of 0.000017m3/s (1LPM) have been reported to be 43.90C and 40.50C respectively  .
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2018-02-19
PAPER REVISED: 2018-06-06
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2018-06-11
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2018-09-29
, VOLUME 24
, ISSUE Issue 2
, PAGES [683 - 692]
- M. Rafati, A A Hamidi, and M. S. Niaser, "Applications of nanofluids in computer cooling systems (heat transfer performance of nanofluids)," Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 45-46, pp. 9-14, 2012.
- Saad Ayub Jajja, Wajahat Ali, Hafiz Muhammad Ali, and Aysha Maryam Ali, "Water cooled minichannel heat sinks for microprocessor cooling: Effect of pin spacing," Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 64, pp. 76-82, 2014.
- S. Gochman et al., "The Intel Pentium M processor: micro architecture and performance," Int. Technol. J., vol. 7, pp. 21-36, 2003.
- Mousa M. Mohammed and Mostafa A. Abd El-Baky, "Air cooling of mini-channel heat sink in electronic devices," Journal of Electronics Cooling and Thermal Control, vol. 3, pp. 49-57, February 2013.
- D. B. Tuckerman and R. F. Pease, "High performance heat sink for VLST," IEEE Electron Device Lett. EDL-2, pp. 126-129, 1981.
- S. G. Kandlikar and H. R. Upadhye, "Optimization of micro channel geaometry for direct chip cooling using single phase transfer," in Proceedings of microchannels and minichannels-2004, ASME, New York, 2004, pp. 679-685.
- M. F. Ashby et al., "Metal foams: A design guide, butterworth-heineman," , Boston, MA, USA, 2000.
- M. Kaviany, Principles of heat transfer in porous media springer. New York, 1995.
- J. Tian, T. J. Lu, H. P. Hodson, D. T. Queheillalt, and H.N. G. Wadley, "Cross flow heat exchange of textile cellular metal core sandwich panels," Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 50, pp. 2521-2536, March 2007.
- C. Zhao, "Review on thermal transport in high porosity cellular metal foams with open cells," Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, vol. 55, pp. 3618-3632, 2012.
- T.J.Lu, "Ultralight porous metals:from fundamentals to applications," Acta Mech. Sin., vol. 18, pp. 457-479, 2002.
- S. Gu, T.J. Lu, A.G. Evans, "On the design of two-dimensional cellular metals for combined heat dissipation and structural load capacity," Inter. J. Heat Mass Transfer, vol. 44, p. 2163, 2001.
- A. G. Evans, J. W. Hutchinson, N. A. Fleck, M. F. Ashby, and H.N.G. Wadley, "The topological design of multifunctional cellular metals," Prog. Mater. Sci., vol. 46, pp. 309-327, 2001.
- J. Tian et al., "The effects of topology upon fluid-flow and heat transfer within cellular copper strucutres," International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, p. 16, 2004.
- T. Wen, J. Tian, T. J. Lu, D. T. Queheillalt, and H.N. G. Wadley, "Forced convection in metallic honeycomb structures," International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 49, pp. 3313-3324, 2006.
- Matthew B. de Stadler, "Optimization of the geometry of a heat sink," University of Virginia, Charlottesville,.
- J. Tian, T.J. Lu, H.P. Hodson, D.T. Queheillalt, H.N.G. Wadley, "Thermal-hydraulic performance of sandwich structures with crossed tube truss core and embedded heat pipes," in 13th International heat pipe conference (13th IHPC), Shanghai, China, 2004, pp. 21-25.
- T. C. Hung, Y. X. Huang, and W. M. Yan, "Thermal performance analysis of porous-microchannel heat sinks with different configuration designs," Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, vol. 66, pp. 235-243, 2013.
- T. Dixit and I. Ghosh, "Low Reynolds number thermo-hydraulic characterization of offset and diamond minichannel metal heat sinks," Exp. Therm. Fluid Sci., vol. 51, pp. 227-238, 2013.
- X. L. Xie, W. Q. Tao, and Y. L. He, "Numerical study of turbulent heat transfer and pressure drop characteristics in water-cooled minichannel heat sink," Journal of Electronic Packaging, vol. 129, pp. 247-255, September 2007.
- S. J. Kline and F. A. McClintock, "Describing uncertainties in single-sample experiments," Mech. Eng., vol. 75, pp. 3-8, 1953.