International Scientific Journal
USE OF PUMPED HYDRO ENERGY STORAGE TO COMPLEMENT WIND ENERGY: A CASE STUDY
The dependency of renewable energy sources on the weather and climate increased the interest on bulk energy storage methods to supply firm power. Pumped-hydro energy storage (PHES) systems are a step ahead among other bulk energy storage methods because these are more efficient and they have higher storage capacities. The present study focuses on the use of grid connected wind-pumped hydro power station to supply energy. A hybrid wind-pumped hydro storage system was designed and simulated using real data, and economic analysis was performed by calculating the basic payback period, the net present value and the internal rate of return. According to the results, it is found that the hybrid system is actively used and a part of the electricity is supplied from the wind - pumped hydro system. In addition, it was obtained that the pumped hydro storage systems are very suitable to be used together with wind power plants.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2018-04-02
PAPER REVISED: 2018-07-24
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2018-10-10
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2018-11-04
, VOLUME 24
, ISSUE Issue 2
, PAGES [777 - 785]
- Kaya, M. N., et al., Renewable energy in Turkey: potential, current status and future aspects. Annals of the Faculty of Engineering Hunedoara, 15 (2017), 1, pp. 65-70.
- Dursun, B., et al., Optimal wind-hydro solution for the Marmara region of Turkey to meet electricity demand, Energy, 36 (2011), 2, pp. 864-872.
- Kaya, M., N., "Design and Optimization of a Wind-Pumped hydro hybrid Power system", MS Thesis (in Turkish), Selcuk University, Turkey, 2012.
- Ramos, J. S., Ramos H. M., Solar powered pumps to supply water for rural or isolated zones: A case study, Energy for Sustainable Development, 13 (2009), 3, pp. 151-158.
- Parikh, M. M., Bhattacharya, A. K., Wind data analysis for studying the feasibility of using windmills for irrigation, Energy in agriculture, 3 (1984): pp. 129-136.
- Gopal, C., et al., Renewable energy source water pumping systems—A literature review, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 25 (2013): pp. 351-370.
- Chinathambi, G., et al., Modeling of a solar photovoltaic water pumping system under the influence of panel cooling. Thermal Science, 21, (2017), 2, pp. 399-410.
- Protic, S. M., Pasicko R., Croatia's rural areas-renewable energy based electricity generation for isolated grids, Thermal Science, 18 (2014), 3, pp. 731-742.
- Nakomčić-Smaragdakis, B. B., et al., Hybrid renewable energy system application for electricity and heat supply of a residential building, Thermal Science 20 (2016), 2, pp. 695-706.
- Kose, F., Kaya M.N., Analysis on meeting the electric energy demand of an active plant with a wind-hydro hybrid power station in Konya, Turkey: Konya water treatment plant, Renewable energy, 55 (2013), pp. 196-201.
- Kapsali, M., Kaldellis, J. K., Combining hydro and variable wind power generation by means of pumped-storage under economically viable terms." Applied energy 87.11 (2010): 3475-3485.
- Castronuovo, E. D., et al., Optimal operation and hydro storage sizing of a wind-hydro power plant, International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems 26 (2004), 10, pp. 771-778.
- Vieira, F., et al., Optimization of operational planning for wind/hydro hybrid water supply systems, Renewable Energy 34 (2009), 3, pp. 928-936.
- Deane, J. P., et al., Techno-economic review of existing and new pumped hydro energy storage plant, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 14 (2010), pp. 1293-1302.
- Kapsali, M., et al., Wind powered pumped-hydro storage systems for remote islands: a complete sensitivity analysis based on economic perspectives, Applied energy 99 (2012), pp. 430-444.
- Papaefthymiou, et al., Optimum sizing of wind-pumped-storage hybrid power stations in island systems, Renewable energy, 64 (2014), pp. 187-196.
- Duque, A.J., et al., Optimal operation of a pumped-storage hydro plant that compensates the imbalances of a wind power producer, Electric power systems research 81 (2011), 9, pp. 1767-1777.
- Ding, H., et al.,Stochastic optimization of the daily operation of wind farm and pumped-hydro-storage plant, Renewable Energy, 48 (2012), pp. 571-578.
- Harrack, B., 2010, Vision of Earth, Why energy storage is usefull
- ABH - Alibeyhuyugu Irrigation Cooperation, annual report (in Turkish), (2010).
- Kaya M.N., Kose, F., Wind Power Plants for Low Rated Wind Speed Regions: Feasibility Analysis and Simulation of a System, E3S Web of Conferences, 10 (2016), pp. 1-4.
- Grassi, S., et al., Large scale technical and economical assessment of wind energy potential with a GIS tool: Case study Iowa, Energy Policy, 45 (2012), pp. 73-85.
- Diaf, S., Notton G., Evaluation of electricity generation and energy cost of wind energy conversion systems in southern Algeria, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 23 (2013), pp. 379-390.
- EMRA. Turkish Energy Market Regulatory Authority. www.epdk.gov.tr, (2012).
- Gökçek, M., Genç M. S., Evaluation of electricity generation and energy cost of wind energy conversion systems (WECSs) in Central Turkey." Applied Energy, 86(2009), 12, pp. 2731-2739.
- Mathew, S., Fundamentals, Resource Analysis and Economics." Wind Energy: 1st ed. New York: Springer (2006).
- Ozerdem, B., et al., Feasibility study of wind farms: A case study for Izmir, Turkey, Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, 94 (2006), 10, pp. 725-743.
- Kose, F., et al., An assessment of wind energy potential to meet electricity demand and economic feasibility in Konya, Turkey. International Journal of Green Energy, 11 (2014): pp. 559-576.