International Scientific Journal
OPTIMIZING HIGH VELOCITY OXY FUEL SPRAY COATING PROCESS PARAMETERS FOR REDUCING EMISSIONS IN ZRO2/AL2O3 COATED INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINES
It is a major issue in the world that only one third of the total fuel input gets con-verted to work, whereas the remaining two thirds of the fuel input goes unused through the exhaust and cooling systems. In the present years, enormous research has been done for reducing the undesirable emissions in internal combustion engines. In this paper, using high velocity oxy fuel thermal spray method, ZrO2 and Al2O3 were coated over the piston head by fluctuating the important thermal spraying process parameters. A central composite design model was developed for conducting twenty different experiments with different spray process parameters. The coated piston was used in internal combustion engine to evaluate the emissions, which were measured using AVL5 exhaust gas analyzer to evaluate the smoke density and NOx content. Empirical relations were created between input process parameters with the responses. Analysis of variance was used to evaluate the significance of developed model. Response surface method-ology was used to optimize, thereby predicting the parameters of oxygen flow rate at 229 L/m, fuel flow rate at 51.2 L/m, spray distance of 194 mm to predict minimum smoke density of 27.7 HSU and NOx of 220.8 ppm, which was validated to a high level of accuracy.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2019-04-09
PAPER REVISED: 2019-05-11
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2019-06-01
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2019-11-02
, VOLUME 24
, ISSUE Issue 1
, PAGES [473 - 479]
- Mofijur, M., et al., Role of biofules on IC Engines Emission Reduction, Energy Procedia, 75 (2015), pp. 886-892.
- Chang, K. L., et al., Effects of atmospheric-plasma system on energy efficiency improvement and emissions reduction from a diesel engine, Journal of Environmental Management, 234 (2019), pp. 336-344.
- Avudaiappan.T, et al., Potential Flow Simulation through Lagrangian Interpolation Meshless Method Coding, J. of Applied Fluid Mechanics, 11 (2018), Special Issue, pp. 129 -134,.
- Dinesh.S., et al. Experimental investigation and optimization of material removal rate and surface roughness in centerless grinding of magnesium alloy using grey relational analysis, Mech. Mech. Eng., 21(2017), 1, pp. 17-28.
- Renaud, A., et al., Experimental characterization of the velocity boundary layer in a motored IC engine, International journal of heat and fluid flow, 71 (2018), pp. 366-377.
- Miyamoto, N., et al., Improvements of diesel combustion and emissions by addition of oxygenated agents to diesel fuels: influence of properties of diesel fuel and kinds of oxygenated agents. JSAE REV., 1 (1998), pp. 19-29
- Bertolic, C., et al., Diesel combustion improvements by the use of oxygenated synthetic fuels. SAE paper No. 972972.
- Godwin Antony.A, et al.,Analysis and optimization of performance parameters in computerized I.C. engine using diesel blended with linseed oil and leishmaan's solution, Mech. Mech. Eng., 21(2017), 2, pp. 193-205.
- Kumar.J.K, et al., Investigation of Performance and Emission Characteristics of Diesel Blends with Pine Oil, J. Appl. Fluid Mech., 11(2018), Special Issue, pp. 63-67,.
- Yan, F., et al., Application of hydrogen enriched natural gas in spark ignition IC engines: from fundamental fuel properties to engine performances and emissions, Renewable and sustainable energy reviews, 82 (2018), pp. 1457-1488.
- Dhyani, V., et al., Control of backfire and NOx emission reduction in a hydrogen fueled multi-cylinder spark ignition engine using cooled EGR and water injection strategies,International journal of hydrogen energy, 44 (2019), pp. 6287-6298.
- Montogomery, D. C., Design and Analysis of Experiments, John Wiley and Sons Inc., New York, USA, 2001
- Pradeep Mohan Kumar.K., et al., Computational Analysis and Optimization of Spiral Plate Heat Exchanger, J. of Applied Fluid Mechanics, Volume 11 (2018), Special Issue, pp.no, 121- 128,.
- Paventhan, R., et al., Prediction and optimization of friction welding parameters for joining aluminium alloy and stainless steel, Trans. Nonferr. Met. Soc. China, 21 (2011), pp. 1480-1485.