International Scientific Journal
ENHANCING PERFORMANCE OF COMPRESSION IGNITION ENGINE FUELED WITH DIESEL BLENDS OF LINSEED AND COTTONSEED OIL BY OPTIMIZING ITS TECHNOLOGICAL PARAMETERS
In this paper an attempt was made to evaluate the performance of the fossil fuels in the modern world has tremendously increased. As the energy efficiency is greater than other fuel sources. For enhancing the sustainability, it is important to develop alternative fuels with properties similar to petroleum waste of these biodiesel proofs to be a viable option to achieve good engine performance. In this pattern attempt was made to evaluate the performance of compression ignition engine which was fueled using diesel blends of linseed oil and cottonseed oil. Important input process parameters were varied such as load, time taken for consumption of 10 cc of fuel, ratio of biodiesel mixture. For achieving enhanced performance, a central composite design model was used to set the process parameter values for 20 sets of experiments. Accordingly, the experiments were conducted and the responses were recorded. Analysis of variance was used to evaluate the significance of the developed model. Optimization was done using response surface methodology for obtaining maximum possible brake thermal efficiency and least possible hydrocarbon emission. The model was validated with validation experiments and it was observed that the error between the experimental and predicted values were less than 4% which indicated that the model was developed with very high level of predictability.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 1970-01-01
PAPER REVISED: 2019-05-12
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2019-06-03
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2019-11-02
, VOLUME 24
, ISSUE Issue 1
, PAGES [463 - 472]
- Canakci, M, et. al., Comparison of engine performance and emission of petroleum diesel fuels, yellow grease Bio-Diesel and soybean oil diesel, Trans. ASAE, 46 (2003) , 4, pp. 937-944.
- Cvengros, J, et. al., Production and treatment of rapeseed oil methyl esters as alternative fuels for diesel engines, Bioresour Technol., 55 (1996), pp. 145-152.
- Godwin Antony.A, et al.,Analysis and optimization of performance parameters in computerized I.C. engine using diesel blended with linseed oil and leishmaan's solution, Mech. Mech. Eng., 21(2017), 2, pp. 193-205.
- Kumar.J.K, et al., Investigation of Performance and Emission Characteristics of Diesel Blends with Pine Oil, J. Appl. Fluid Mech., 11(2018), Special Issue, pp. 63-67,.
- Dorado, M., et. al., Exhaust emissions from a diesel engine fueled with trans esterified waste olive oil, Fuel, 82 (2003), 8, pp. 1311-1315,.
- Jayaraman, M., et.al., Optimization of process parameters for friction stir welding of cast aluminium alloy A319 by Taguchi method, Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, 68 (2009), 3, pp. 36-43,.
- Avudaiappan.T, et al., Potential Flow Simulation through Lagrangian Interpolation Meshless Method Coding, J. of Applied Fluid Mechanics, 11 (2018), Special Issue, pp. 129 -134,.
- Dinesh.S., et al. Experimental investigation and optimization of material removal rate and surface roughness in centerless grinding of magnesium alloy using grey relational analysis, Mech. Mech. Eng., 21(2017), 1, pp. 17-28.
- Paventhan, R., et. al., Prediction and optimization of friction welding parameters for joining aluminium alloy and stainless steel, Trans. Nonferr. Met. Soc. China, 21 (2011), 2, pp. 1480-1485.
- Prasada Rao, K., et. al., Optimization of performance parameters of a diesel engine fuelled with Bio fuels, International Journal of thermal technologies, 03 (2013), 3, pp. 85-91.
- Datta Sourav, et. al., Application of PCA based hybrid taguchi method for correlated multi criteria optimization of sub merged arc weld, International journal of advanced manufacturing technology, 45 (2009), 3/4, pp. 276-286.
- Debaprasanna Puhan, et. al., A Hybris approach for multi response optimization of non-conventional machining on AlSiCpMMC, Fuel, 46 (2013), 9, pp. 3581-3592.
- Meng, M., et. al., Bio-Diesel production from waste cooking oil via alkali catalyst and its engine test, Fuel processing technol., 89 (2008), 2, pp. 851-857.
- Pradeep Mohan Kumar.K., et al., Computational Analysis and Optimization of Spiral Plate Heat Exchanger, J. of Applied Fluid Mechanics, Volume 11 (2018), Special Issue, pp.no, 121-128,.
- Murillo, S., et. al., Performance and exhaust and emissions in the usedof Bio-Diesel in out board diesel engines, Fuels, 86 (2007), 1, pp. 1765-1771.