International Scientific Journal
EXPERIMENTAL OPTIMIZATION OF ENERGY CONSUMPTION FOR DIRECT CURRENT REFRIGERATOR BY PID CONTROLLER TUNING AND COMPARISON WITH ON/OFF REFRIGERATOR
In this research the optimization of energy consumption for DC refrigerator used in commercial cold store was conducted. To achieve this object a test facility was installed into the introduction room of a national refrigeration company. Due to the imperfect data given by the producer, the PID controller of DC refrigerator had to be tuned by setting the correct proportional, integral and derivative parameter values to achieve optimal energetic operation. During the research the energy consumption of this system was compared with a very commonly used traditional refrigerator system on the home market operated by reciprocating compressor, mechanical expansion valve and ON-OFF controller technic in the similar cooling capacity range. The combined effects of electronic expansion valve, scroll compressor operation and the correct experimental settings of PID controller in DC refrigerator results around 62,4 % energy saving opposed to the traditional ON-OFF controlled appliance under the same operational conditions in the same cold store.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2017-05-04
PAPER REVISED: 2017-07-21
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2017-08-08
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2017-09-09
, VOLUME 23
, ISSUE Issue 2
, PAGES [941 - 952]
- Dennis, J., Kresimir S., The Feasibility Analysis of Replacing the Standard Ammonia Refrigeration Device with the Cascade NH3/CO2 Refrigeration Device in Food Industry, Thermal Science, 19 (2015) 5, pp. 1821-1833.
- Ekren, O., et al., Comparison of different controllers for variable speed compressor and electronic expansion valve, Int. J. Refrigeration, 33 (2010), pp. 1161-1168.
- Matysko, R., Theoretical model of the operation parameters regulated by the MIMO and SISO system in a cooling chamber, International Journal of Refrigeration, 58 (2015) pp. 53-57.
- Ekren, O., et al., Performance evaluation of a variable speed DC compressor, Int. J. Refrigeration 36 (2013), pp. 745-757.
- Buzelin, L.O.S, et al., Experimental development of an intelligent refrigeration system, International Journal of Refrigeration, 28, (2005), pp. 165-175.
- Hamid, N.H.A., et al., Application of PID Controller in Controlling Refrigerator Temperature. The 5th International Colloquium on Signal Processing & Its Applications (CSPA), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2009.
- Ogata, K., Modern Control Engineering, fourth ed. Aeeizh, New Jersey, 2002.
- Aström, K.J.; Hägglund T., PID Controllers: Theory, Design, and Tuning, second ed. Instrument Society of America, Research Triangle Park, USA, N.C., 1995
- Legweel , K. M. B., et al., The Performance of PIP Cascade Controller in HVAC System, Thermal Science, 18 (2014), 1, pp. S213-S220.
- Ziegler, J.G., Nichols, N.B., Optimum Settings for Automatic Controllers. Trans. ASME, 64 (1942), pp. 759-768.
- Raut, K.H.; Vaishnav, S.R., A study on Performance of Different PID Tuning Techniques, International Conference on Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Trivandrum, India, 2012, pp. 250-254.
- Beghi, A, et al., On-line, auto-tuning control of Electronic Expansion Valves, International Journal of Refrigeration, 34 (2011), pp. 1151-1161.
- Naidu, D.S., Rieger, C.G., Advanced control strategies for heating, ventilation, air-conditioning, and refrigeration systems — An overview: Part I: Hard control, HVAC&R Research, 17 (2011), 1, pp. 2-21.
- Naidu, D.S.; Rieger, C.G., Advanced control strategies for HVAC&R systems—An overview: Part II: Soft and fusion control, HVAC&R Research, 17 (2011), 2, pp. 144-158.
- Nyers J., et al., Modern and traditional regulation of the evaporation process in the heat pump, 24rd International Confernce "Vykurovanie 2016", Stara Lubovnja, Slovakia. 2016, pp. 265-270.
- Anantachaisilp, P., Lin, Z., An experimental study on PID tuning methods for active magnetic bearing systems, Int. J. Advanced Mechatronic Systems, 5 (2013), pp. 146-154.