International Scientific Journal
THERMODYNAMIC ANALYSIS OF A SINGLE EFFECT LITHIUM BROMIDE WATER ABSORPTION SYSTEM USING WASTE HEAT IN SUGAR INDUSTRY
Energy analysis plays a vital role in the industry due to the use of electrical energy, global warming, and economy crises. This paper describes the waste heat available in the exhaust of the steam turbine and beneficial use of the waste heat. The sugar industry steam turbine exhaust carries enthalpy of steam at 2500 kJ/kg, this thermal energy can be put into beneficial use as the heat source to the vapor absorption refrigeration system to compensate energy required for DC thyrist motor, and this can also be used for cold storage. Energy savings in terms of cost and fuels are calculated. Investigation on the heat and mass transfer in evaporator has been carried out in vapor absorption system by varying the operating parameter. Less circulation ratio is required to increase the coefficient of performance. The inlet temperature of the coolant should be less for achieving higher coefficient of performance.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2015-10-13
PAPER REVISED: 2016-11-13
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2016-11-13
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2016-12-03
, VOLUME 22
, ISSUE Issue 1
, PAGES [507 - 517]
- M.K. Chauhan, Varun, S. Chaudhary, S. Kumar, Samar, Life cycle assessment of sugar industry: A review, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 15 (2011) 3445-3453.
- S. Brückner, S. Liu, L. Miró, M. Radspieler, L.F. Cabeza, E. Lävemann, Industrial waste heat recovery technologies: An economic analysis of heat transformation technologies, Applied Energy, 151 (2015) 157-167.
- M.U. Siddiqui, S.A.M. Said, A review of solar powered absorption systems, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 42 (2015) 93-115.
- L.F. Mendes, M. Collares-Pereira, F. Ziegler, A rich solution spray as a refining method in a small capacity, single effect, solar assisted absorption machine with the pair NH3/H2O: Experimental results, Energy Conversion and Management, 48 (2007) 2996-3000.
- K. Ebrahimi, G.F. Jones, A.S. Fleischer, Thermo-economic analysis of steady state waste heat recovery in data centers using absorption refrigeration, Applied Energy, 139 (2015) 384-397.
- A. Ramanathan, P. Gunasekaran, Simulation of absorption refrigeration system for automobile application, Thermal science, 12 (2008),3, 5-13.
- A. Sathyabhama, T. Ashok Babu, Thermodynamic simulation of ammonia-water absorption refrigeration system, Thermal science, 12 (2008), 3, 45-53.
- A. Buonomano, F. Calise, M. Vicidomini, A dynamic model of an innovative high-temperature solar heating and cooling system. Thermal science, 20 (2016) 1121-1133.
- P. Srikhirin, S. Aphornratana, S. Chungpaibulpatana, A review of absorption refrigeration technologies, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 5 (2001) 343-372.
- J.M. Labus, J.C. Bruno, A. Coronas, Review on absorption technology with emphasis on small capacity absorption machines, Thermal science, 17 (2013) 739-762.
- Benhmidene, B. Chaouachi, M. Bourouis, S. Gabsi, Effect of operating conditions on the performance of the bubble pump of absorption-diffusion refrigeration cycles, Thermal science, 15 (2011), 3, 793-806.
- M.I. Karamangil, S. Coskun, O. Kaynakli, N. Yamankaradeniz, A simulation study of performance evaluation of single-stage absorption refrigeration system using conventional working fluids and alternatives, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 14 (2010) 1969-1978.
- S. Ajib, A. Karno, Thermo physical properties of acetone-zinc bromide for using in a low temperature driven absorption refrigeration machine, Heat and Mass Transfer, 45 (2008) 61-70.
- A. Coronas, M. Vallés, S.K. Chaudhari, K.R. Patil, Absorption heat pump with the TFE-TEGDME and TFE-H2O-TEGDME systems, Applied Thermal Engineering, 16 (1996) 335-345.
- A. Genssle, K. Stephan, Analysis of the process characteristics of an absorption heat transformer with compact heat exchangers and the mixture TFE-E181, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 39 (2000) 30-38.
- M. Izquierdo, M. Venegas, P. Rodrı́guez, A. Lecuona, Crystallization as a limit to develop solar air-cooled LiBr-H2O absorption systems using low-grade heat, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 81 (2004) 205-216.
- A. Coronas, Refrigeration absorption cycles using an auxiliary fluid, Applied Energy, 51 (1995) 69-85.
- A. Karno, S. Ajib, Thermodynamic analysis of an absorption refrigeration machine with new working fluid for solar applications, Heat and Mass Transfer, 45 (2008) 71-81.
- S. Jian, F. Lin, Z. Shigang, Performance calculation of single effect absorption heat pump using LiBr + LiNO3 + H2O as working fluid, Applied Thermal Engineering, 30 (2010) 2680-2684.
- M. Kilic, O. Kaynakli, Second law-based thermodynamic analysis of water-lithium bromide absorption refrigeration system, Energy, 32 (2007) 1505-1512.
- S.C. Kaushik, A. Arora, Energy and exergy analysis of single effect and series flow double effect water-lithium bromide absorption refrigeration systems, International Journal of Refrigeration, 32 (2009) 1247-1258.
- C. Ezgi, Design and thermodynamic analysis of an H2O-LiBr AHP system for naval surface ship application, International Journal of Refrigeration, 48 (2014) 153-165.
- O. Kaynakli, The first and second law analysis of a lithium bromide/water coil absorber, Energy, 33 (2008) 804-816.
- O. Kaynakli, M. Kilic, Theoretical study on the effect of operating conditions on performance of absorption refrigeration system, Energy Conversion and Management, 48 (2007) 599-607.
- K. Balaji, R. Ramkumar, Study of Waste Heat Recovery From Steam Turbine Xhaust for Vapor Absorption System in Sugar Industry, Procedia Engineering, 38 (2012) 1352-1356.
- K. Balaji, R.S. Kumar, Study of Vapor Absorption System Using Waste Heat in Sugar Industry, IOSR Journal of Engineering, 2 (2012) 34-39
- M. Vallès, M. Bourouis, D. Boer, A. Coronas, Absorption of organic fluid mixtures in plate heat exchangers, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 42 (2003) 85-94.
- M. Medrano, M. Bourouis, A. Coronas, Double-lift absorption refrigeration cycles driven by low-temperature heat sources using organic fluid mixtures as working pairs, Applied Energy, 68 (2001) 173-185.
- B.H. Gebreslassie, M. Medrano, D. Boer, Exergy analysis of multi-effect water-LiBr absorption systems: From half to triple effect, Renewable Energy, 35 (2010) 1773-1782.
- T.K. Gogoi, K. Talukdar, Exergy based parametric analysis of a combined reheat regenerative thermal power plant and water-LiBr vapor absorption refrigeration system, Energy Conversion and Management, 83 (2014) 119-132.
- O. Kaynakli, Exergy analysis of absorber using water/lithium bromide solution, Heat and Mass Transfer, 44 (2007) 1089-1097.
- A. Karno, S. Ajib, Effect of tube pitch on heat transfer in shell-and-tube heat exchangers—new simulation software, Heat and Mass Transfer, 42 (2005) 263-270.
- Y. Kaita, Thermodynamic properties of lithium bromide-water solutions at high temperatures, International Journal of Refrigeration, 24 (2001) 374-390.
- J. Pátek, J. Klomfar, A computationally effective formulation of the thermodynamic properties of LiBr-H2O solutions from 273 to 500 K over full composition range, International Journal of Refrigeration, 29 (2006) 566-578.
- H.T. Chua, H.K. Toh, A. Malek, K.C. Ng, K. Srinivasan, Improved thermodynamic property fields of LiBr-H2O solution, International Journal of Refrigeration, 23 (2000) 412-429.