International Scientific Journal
CHEMICALLY REACTING ON MHD BOUNDARY-LAYER FLOW OF NANOFLUIDS OVER A NON-LINEAR STRETCHING SHEET WITH HEAT SOURCE/SINK AND THERMAL RADIATION
In this paper, steady 2-D MHD free convective boundary-layer flows of an electrically conducting nanofluid over a non-linear stretching sheet taking into account the chemical reaction and heat source/sink are investigated. The governing equations are transformed into a system of non-linear ODE using suitable similarity transformations. Analytical solution for the dimensionless velocity, temperature, concentration, skin friction coefficient, heat and mass transfer rates are obtained by using homotopy analysis method. The obtained results show that the flow field is substantially influenced by the presence of chemical reaction, radiation, and magnetic field.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2015-10-03
PAPER REVISED: 2016-11-01
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2016-11-01
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2016-12-03
, VOLUME 22
, ISSUE Issue 1
, PAGES [495 - 506]
- U. S. Choi, Enhancing thermal conductivity of fluids with nanoparticles, Developments and Applications of Non-Newtonian Flows, D.A. Siginer and H.P. Wang, eds, FED-Vol. 231/MD-66 ASME, New York (1995) 99-105.
- J. Fan and L. Wang, Heat conduction in nanofluids: structure-property correlation, Int. J. Heat Mass Transf., 54 (2011) 4349-4359.
- C. Kleinstreuer and Y. Feng, Experimental and theoretical studies of nanofluid thermal conductivity enhancement: a review, Nanoscale Res Lett 6 (2011) 229.
- J. Buongiorno, Convective transport in nanofluids, J Heat Transf.,128 (2005) 240-520.
- J. Buongiorno and W. Hu, Nanofluid coolants for advanced nuclear power plants. Proceedings of ICAPP 05: Seoul. Sydney, Curran Assoc Inc. (2005)15-19.
- K. Vajravelu and A. Hadjinicalaou, Heat transfer in a viscous fluid over a stretching sheet with viscous dissipation and internal heat generation, Int Commu Heat Mass Transf., 20 (1993) 417-430.
- H. S. Takhar, O. A. Bég and M. Kumari, Computational analysis of coupled radiation convection dissipative flow in a porous medium using the Keller-box implicit difference scheme. Int J Energy Res.,22 (1998)141-159.
- M. A. Seddeek, Effects of radiation and variable viscosity on a MHD free convection flow past a semi-infinite flat plate with an aligned magnetic field in the case of unsteady flow, Int J Heat Mass Transf., 45 (2002) 931-935.
- M. A. A. Hamad, Analytical solution of natural convection flow of a nanofluid over a linearly stretching sheet in the presence of magnetic field, Int Commun Heat Mass Transf., 38 (2011)487-492.
- M. M. Habibi, M. Dehsara and A. Abbassi, Mixed convection MHD flow of nanofluid over a nonlinear stretching sheet with effects of viscous dissipation and variable magnetic field, Mechanika, 18 (2012)415-423.
- N. Sandeep and C. Sulochana, Dual solutions of radative MHD nanofluid flow over an exponentially stretching sheet with heat generation/absorption. Appl NanoSci. (2015), DOI 10.1007/s13204-015-0420-z.
- P. Rana and R. Bhargava, Flow and heat transfer of a nanofluid over a nonlinearly stretching sheet: a numerical study, Commun Nonlinear Sci Numer Simul., 17 (2012) 212-226.
- T. Poornima and R. N. Bhaskar, Radiation effects on MHD free convective boundary layer flow of nanofluids over a nonlinear stretching sheet, Adv Appl Sci Res., 4(2013)190-202.
- O. D. Makinde, Free-convection flow with thermal radiation and mass transfer past a moving vertical porous plate, International Communications in Heat and Mass transfer, 32(2005) 1411-1419.
- O. D. Makinde and A. Ogulu, The effect of thermal radiation on the heat and mass transfer flow of a variable viscosity fluid past a vertical porous plate permeated by a transverse magnetic field, Chemical Engineering Communications, 195(12)(2008) 1575 -1584.
- O. D. Makinde and R. J. Moitsheki. On non-perturbative techniques for thermal radiation effect on natural convection past a vertical plate embedded in a saturated porous medium, Mathematical Problems in Engineering, 2008(2008) 689074(1-11).
- A. Ogulu and O. D. Makinde, Unsteady hydromagnetic free convection flow of a dissipative and radiating fluid past a vertical plate with constant heat flux. Chemical Engineering Communications, 196(4) (2009) 454-462.
- M. I. Anwar, I. Khan, S. Sharidan and M. Z. Salleh, Conjugate effects of heat and mass transfer of nanofluids over a nonlinear stretching sheet, International Journal of Physical Sci., 7 (2012)4081-4092.
- W. A. Khan, and I. Pop, Boundary-layer flow of a nanofluid past a stretching sheet, Int J Heat Mass Transf., 53 (2010) 2477-2483.
- K.M.D. Shakhaoath, M.M. Alam and M. Ferdows, Effects of magnetic field on radiative flow of a nanofluid past a stretching sheet, Procedia Engineering, 56 (2013)316-322.
- A. J. Chamka, MHD flow of a uniformly stretched vertical permeable surface in the presence of heat generation/absorption and a chemical reaction, Int. Commun. Heat Mass Transf., 30:(2003) 413-422.
- A. Afify, MHD free convective flow and mass transfer over a stretching sheet with chemical reaction, Heat Mass Transf., 40 (2004) 495-500.
- B. J. Gireesha and N. G. Rudraswamy, Chemical reaction on MHD flow and heat transfer of a nanofluid near the stagnation point over a permeable stretching surface with non-uniform heat source/sink, Int J Eng Sci Tech., 6(2014)13-25.
- P. O. Olanrewaju and O. D. Makinde, Effects of thermal diffusion and diffusion thermo on chemically reacting MHD boundary layer flow of heat and mass transfer past a moving vertical plate with suction /injection. Arabian Journal of Science and Engineering, 36 (2011) 1607-1619.
- S. J. Liao, Beyond perturbation: Introduction to the homotopy analysis method, Boca Raton: Chapman & Hall/CRC Press (2003).
- M.M. Rashidi and E. Erfani, A new analytical study of MHD stagnation-point flow in porous media with heat transfer. Computers & Fluids, 40 (2011)172-178.
- F. Mabood, W. A. Khan and A.I.M Ismail, Approximate analytical solution for influence of heat transfer on MHD stagnation point flow in porous medium, Computer & Fluids, 100 (2014)72-78.