International Scientific Journal
INTERACTION OF A HOT JET WITH TWO COLD SIDE JETS
Spreading of the multijet in terms of both the velocity and temperature field depends strongly on the flow type related to the velocity and temperature ratios between the cold side jets to the hot central one. This is the reason why the present work focuses on numerical investigation of non isothermal three parallel non-ventilated turbulent plane jets. As well, it seems natural to pick as reference the available experimental data. The numerical predictions confirm the three types (A, B, C) of flow patterns given by the available flow visualization and reveal a fourth that will be called type D. The purpose of the present study is to explore the effect of the velocity ratio on the decay rates of the velocity and temperature in the fully developed region. It is found that the addition of side jets increase the rate of decrease of the centerline velocity for the flow of type A and decreases in the other cases. The effect of various types of flow on the rate of decrease of the velocity and the temperature in the fully developed flow region are investigated in details: This led to establish several correlations of the rate of decrease that play an important role in the diffusion of momentum and temperature.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2014-03-10
PAPER REVISED: 2014-09-09
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2014-09-15
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2014-10-05
, VOLUME 19
, ISSUE Issue 6
, PAGES [2115 - 2126]
- E. Tanaka, S. Nakata, The interference of two-dimensional parallel jets (3rd Report, The Region near the Nozzles in Triple jets), Bulletin of the JSME, vol. 18 No 124, October 1975, pp. 1134-1141.
- L. Loukarfi, A. Khelil, H. Naji, Improvement of thermal homogenization using multiple swirling jets, Termal Science, vol. 16 No 1, 2012, pp. 239-250.
- A. A. Al Mubarak, S. M. Shaahid, L. M. Al-Hadhrami, Heat transfer in channel with inclined target surface cooled by single array of centered impinging jets, Thermal science, vol. 17 No 4, 2013, pp. 1195-1206.
- A. Krothapalli, D. Baganoff, K. Karamchetti, On the mixing of a rectangular jet, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 107, 1981, pp. 201.220.
- S. Raghunathan, I.M. Reid, A study of multiple jets, AIAA Journal, vol. 19 , 1981, pp. 124.127.
- H. Elbanna, S. Gahin, M.I.I. Rashed, Investigation of two plane parallel jets, AIAA Journal, vol. 21 No 7, 1982, pp. 986.991.
- J.H. Jung, G.J. Yoo, Analysis of unsteady turbulent triple jet flow with temperature difference, Journal of Nuclear Science and Technology, vol. 41 No 9, September 2004, pp. 931-942.
- A. Nasr, J.C.S. Lai, Comparison of flow characteristics in the near field of two parallel plane jets and an offset plane jet, Physics of fluid, vol. 9 No10, 1977, pp. 2919-2931.
- N. Kimura, H. Miyakoshi, H. Kamide, Experimental Investigation on Transfer Characteristics of Temperature Fluctuation From Liquid Sodium to Wall in Parallel Triple-Jet, International Journal of Head and Mass Transfer, vol. 50 No 9, 2007, pp. 2024-2036.
- A. Tokuhiro, N. Kimura, An Experimental Investigation on Thermal Striping Mixing Phenomena of a Vertical Non-buoyant Jet with two Adjacent Buoyant Jets as measured by Ultrasound Doppler Velocimetry, Nuclear Engineering and Design, vol. 188 No 1, 1999, pp. 49-73.
- K. Yamamoto, K. Hishida, Quantitative Visualisation of turbulent mixing in parallel triple plane jets, Experimental Heat Transfer Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics, No 2, 2001, pp. 1029-1034.
- N. H. Buddhika, A Numerical Study of Heat Transfer Performance of Oscillatory Impinging Jets, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 52 No 1 , 2009, pp. 396-406.
- L. Salentey, Etude experimentale du comportement de bruleurs a jets separes. Application a la combustion gaz naturel-oxygene pur, Ph. D thesis, Faculte des Sciences et Techniques de lfUniversite de Rouen, 2002.
- C. Lesieur, Modelisation de la combustion turbulente non-premelangee dans un bruleur a jets separes application a la stabilisation dfune oxy-flamme, PhD thesis, INSA de Rouen, 2003.
- B.S. Pani, R.N. Dash, Three-dimensional single and multiple free jets, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, ASCE, vol. 109 No 2, 1983, pp. 254-269.
- Y.F. Lin,M.J. Sheu, Interaction of parallel jets, AIAA Journal, vol. 29 No 9, 1991, pp. 1372.1373.
- G.F. Marsters, Interaction of two plane parallel jets, AIAA Journal, vol. 15 No 12, January 1977, pp. 1756.1762.
- K. Murai, M. Taga, K. Akagawa, An experimental Study on Confluence of Two Dimensional Jets, Bulletin JSME, vol. 19 No 134, 1976, pp. 956-964.
- E.W. Grandmaison, N.L. Zettler, Turbulent Mixing in Coflowing Plane Jets, The Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol.67 No 6, 1989, pp. 889-897.
- S. Koshigoe, E. Gutmark, K. Schadow, Initial development of non circular jets leading to axis switching, AIAA J, vol. 27, 1989, pp. 411-419.
- K.C.Schadow, E. Gutmark, S. Koshigoe, K.J. Wilson, Combustion-related shear-flow dynamics in elliptic supersonic jets, AIAA Journal, vol. 27 No 10, 1989, pp. 1347-1353.
- J.C. Laurence, Turbulence Studies of Rectangular Slotted Noise-Suppressor Nozzle, NASA TECHNICAL NOTE D-294, 1960.
- H.A. Becker, B.D. Booth, Mixing in the interaction zone of two free jets, AIChE J. vol. 21 N‹ 5, 1975, pp. 949-958.
- Q. Cao, D. Lu, J. Lv, Numerical investigation on temperature fluctuation of the parallel triple-jet, Nuclear Engineering and Design, vol. 249, 2012, pp. 82-89.
- D. Tenchine, S. Vandroux, V. Barthel, O. Cioni; Experimental and numerical studies on mixing jets for sodium cooled fast reactors, Nuclear Engineering and Design, vol. 263, 2013, pp 263-272.
- K. Svensson, P. Rohdin, B. Moshfegh, M. Tummers, Numerical and experimental investigation of the near zone flow field in an array of confluent round jets, IJHFF, vol. 46, 2014, pp. 127-146.
- P.M. Sforza, M.H. Steiger, N. Trentacoste, Studies on three-dimensional viscous jets, AIAA Journal, vol. 4 N‹ 5, 1966, pp. 800-806.
- W.R. Quinn, Turbulent Free Jet Flows Issuing from Sharp-Edged Rectangular Slots: The Influence of Slot Aspect Ratio, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 1992, vol. 5, pp. 203-215.
- J. A Sabbagh, M. S. Aly, Interaction of two-dimensional hot jet and two-dimensional cold jets, AIAA 93-3122, 24th Conference, Fluid dynamics, 1993, pp. 1-9.
- S. A. Stanley, S. Sarkar, J. P. Mellado, A study of the flow field evolution and mixing in a planar turbulent jet using direct numerical simulation, J. Fluid Mech, vol. 450, 2002, pp. 377-407.
- W.P. Jones, B.E. Launder, The prediction of laminarization with a two-Equation model of turbulence, International Journal of Heat Transfer, vol. 15, 1972, pp. 301-304.
- V. Yakhot, S.A. Orszag, Renormalization Group Analysis of Turbulence. I. Basic Theory, J. Sci. Comput, vol.1 N‹ 1, 1986, pp. 3-51.
- F.R. Menter, Zonal Two Equation k-ƒÖ Turbulence Models for Aerodynamic Flows, AIAA Journal, 1993, pp. 93-2906.
- F. R. Menter, Two-equation eddy-viscosity turbulence models for engineering applications, AIAA Journal, vol. 32 No 8, 1994, pp.1598-1605.
- D.C. Wilcox, Turbulence Modelling for CFD, DCW Industries Inc, La Canada, CA, 1993.
- B.E. Launder, G.J. Reece, W. Rodi, Progress in the developments of a Reynolds-stress turbulence closure, J. Fluid Mechanics, vol. 68, 1975, pp.537-586.
- S.V. Patankar, Numerical heat transfer and fluid flow, Series in Computational methods in mechanics and thermal sciences, Hemisphere Publishing Corp. & Mc Graw Hill, 1980.
- H. Goertler, Berechnung von Aufgaben der freien Turbulenz auf Grund eines neuen Naherungsansatzes, Z.A.M.M., 22, 1942, pp. 244-254.
- W. Tollmien, Berechnung turbulenter Ausbreitungsvorgange. Z.A.M.M., 6, 1926, pp. 468-478. (English translation, N.A.C.A. TM, 1085, 1945)
- B.R. Ramaprian, M.S. Chandrasekhara, LDA measurements in plane turbulent jets, Transactions of the ASME - Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol.107, 1985, pp. 264-271.