International Scientific Journal
ENERGY ANALYSIS OF ORGANIC RANKINE CYCLES FOR BIOMASS APPLICATIONS
The present paper aims at analysing the performances of Organic Rankine Cycles (ORCs) adopted for the exploitation of the biomass resulting from the pruning residues in a 3000 hectares district in Southern Italy. A parametric energy analysis has been carried out to define the influence of the main plant operating conditions. To this purpose, both subcritical and transcritical power plants have been examined and saturated and superheated conditions at the turbine inlet have been imposed. Moreover, the effect of the working fluid, condensation temperature, and internal regeneration on system performances has been investigated. The results show that ORC plants represent an interesting and sustainable solution for decentralised and small-scale power production. Furthermore, the analysis highlights the significant impact of the maximum temperature and the noticeable effect of internal regeneration on the performances of the biomass power plants.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2012-07-06
PAPER REVISED: 2014-03-06
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2014-03-13
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2014-04-05
, VOLUME 19
, ISSUE Issue 1
, PAGES [193 - 205]
- Quoilin, S., Lemort, V., Lebrun, J., Experimental study and modeling of an Organic Rankine Cycle using scroll expander, Applied Energy, 87 (2010), 4, pp. 1260-1268.
- Li W., Feng X, Yu LJ, Xu J. Effects of evaporating temperature and internal heat exchanger on organic Rankine cycle, Applied Thermal Engineering, 31 (2011), pp. 4014-4023.
- Dai, Y., Wang, J., Gao, L. Parametric optimization and comparative study of organic Rankine cycle (ORC) for low grade waste heat recovery, Energy Conversion and Management, 50 (2009), pp. 576-582.
- Saleh, B., Koglbauer, G., Wendland, M., Fischer, J., Working fluids for low-temperature organic Rankine cycles, Energy, 32 (2007), pp.1210-1221.
- Stijepovic, M. Z., Linke, P, Papadopoulos. A. I., Grujic A. S., On the role of working fluid properties in Organic Rankine Cycle performance, Applied Thermal Engineering, 36 (2012), pp. 406-413.
- Turboden, Organic Rankine cycle (ORC) in biomass plants: an overview on different applications. Available from: www.turboden.eu.
- Duvia, A., Guercio, A., Rossi di Schio, C., Technical and economic aspects of Biomass fuelled CHP plants based on ORC turbogenerators feeding existing district heating networks. Available from: www.turboden.eu.
- Moro, R., Pinamonti, P., Reini, M., ORC technology for waste-wood to energy conversion in the furniture manufacturing industry, Thermal Science, 12 (2008), 4, pp. 61-73.
- Algieri., A, Morrone, P., Energetic analysis of biomass-fired ORC systems for micro-scale combined heat and power (CHP) generation. A possible application to the Italian residential sector, Applied Thermal Engineering, dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2013.11.024, (in press).
- Schuster, A., Karellas, S., Kakaras, E., Spliethoff, H., Energetic and economic investigation of Organic Rankine Cycle applications, Applied Thermal Engineering, 29 (2009), pp. 1809-1817.
- Drescher, U., Bruggemann, D., Fluid selection for the Organic Rankine Cycle (ORC) in biomass power and heat plants, Applied Thermal Engineering, 27 (2007), pp. 223-228.
- Chinese, D., Meneghetti, A., Nardin, G., Diffused introduction of Organic Rankine Cycle for biomass-based power generation in an industrial district: a systems analysis, International Journal of Energy Research, 28 (2004), pp. 1003-1021.
- Angelino, G., Colonna Di Paliano, P., Multicomponent working fluids for organic Rankine cycles (ORCs), Energy, 23 (1998), 6, pp. 449-463.
- Quoilin, S., Lemort, V., Technological and Economical Survey of Organic Rankine Cycle Systems. Proceedings of 5th European Conference Economics and Management of Energy in Industry, Algarve, Portugal, 2009.
- Kakarellas, S., Schuster, A., Supercritical Fluid Parameters in Organic Rankine Cycle Applications, International Journal of Thermodynamics, 11 (2008), 3, pp. 101-108.
- Mikielewicz, D., Mikielewicz, J. A, Thermodynamic criterion for selection of working fluid for subcritical and supercritical domestic micro CHP, Applied Thermal Engineering, 30 (2010), pp. 2357-2362.
- Arslan, O., Yetik, O., ANN based optimization of supercritical ORC-Binary geothermal power plant: Simav case study, Applied Thermal Engineering, 31 (2011), pp. 3922-3928.
- Schuster, A., Karellas, S., Aumann, R., Efficiency optimization potential in supercritical Organic Rankine Cycles, Energy, 35 (2010), pp. 1033-1039.
- Cayer, E., Galanis, N., Nesreddine, H., Parametric study and optimization of a transcritical power cycle using a low temperature source, Applied Energy, 87 (2011), pp. 1349-1357.
- Shengjun, Z., Huaixin, W., Tao, G., Performance comparison and parametric optimization of subcritical Organic Rankine Cycle (ORC) and transcritical power cycle system for low-temperature geothermal power generation, Applied Energy, 88 (2011), pp. 2740-2754.
- Vankeirsbilck, I., Vanslambrouck, B., Gusev, S., De Paepe, M., Organic Rankine cycle as efficient alternative to steam cycle for small scale power generation, Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics, Pointe Aux Piments, Mauritius, 2011.
- Vankeirsbilck, I., Vanslambrouck, B., Gusev, S., De Paepe M. Efficiency comparison between the steam cycle and the organic Rankine cycle for small scale power generation, Proceedings of 2nd European Conference on Polygeneration, Tarragona, Spain, 2011.
- Chen, H., Goswami, D.Y., Rahman, M.M., Stefanakos E.K., Energetic and exergetic analysis of CO2- and R32-based transcritical Rankine cycles for low-grade heat conversion, Applied Energy, 88 (2011), pp. 2802-2808.
- Baik, Y.-J., Kim, M., Chang, K.C., Kim, S.J., Power-based performance comparison between carbon dioxide and R125 transcritical cycles for a low-grade heat source, Applied Energy, 88 (2011), pp. 892-898.
- Guo, T., Wang, H., Zhang, S., Comparative analysis of natural and conventional working fluids for use in transcritical Rankine cycle using low-temperature geothermal source, International Journal of Energy Research, 35 (2011), pp. 530-544.
- Lemmon, E.W., Huber, M.L., McLinden, M.O., REFPROP Reference Fluid Thermodynamic and Transport, NIST Online Databases, (2008).
- Sanaye, S., Meybodi, M.A., Shokrollahi, S., Selecting the prime movers and nominal powers in combined heat and power systems, Applied Thermal Engineering, 28 (2008), pp. 1177-1188.
- Rosen, M.A., Le M.N., Dincer, I., Efficiency analysis of a cogeneration and district energy system, Applied Thermal Engineering, 25 (2005), pp. 147-159.
- Feng, X., Cai, Y.-N., Qian, L.-L., A new performance criterion for cogeneration system. Energy Conversion and Management, 39 (1998), pp. 1607-1609.
- Ong'iro, A., Ugursal, V.I., A1 Taweel, A.M., Lajeunesse, G., Thermodynamic simulation and evaluation of a steam CHP plant using Aspen Plus, Applied Thermal Engineering, 16 (1996); pp. 263-271.
- Rayegan, R., Tao, Y.X., A procedure to select working fluids for Solar Organic Rankine Cycles (ORCs), Renewable Energy, 36 (2010), pp. 659-670.
- Chacartegui, R., Sánchez, D., Muñoz, J.M., Sánchez, T., Alternative ORC bottoming cycles FOR combined cycle power plants, Applied Energy, 86 (2009), (10) pp. 2162-2170.
- Wiśniewski, S., Borsukiewicz-Gozdur, A., The influence of vapor superheating on the level of heat regeneration in a subcritical ORC coupled with gas power plant, Archives of Thermodynamics, 31 (2010), (3) pp. 185-199.
- Branchini, L., De Pascale, A., Peretto, A., Systematic comparison of ORC configurations by means of comprehensive performance indexes, Applied Thermal Engineering, 61 (2013); pp. 129-140.
- Pierobon, L., Rokni, M., Larsen, U., Haglind, F., Thermodynamic analysis of an integrated gasification solid oxide fuel cell plant combined with an organic Rankine cycle, Renewable Energy, 60 (2013); pp. 226-234.
- Khatita, M. A., Ahmed, T. S., Ashour, F. H., Ismail, I. M., Power generation using waste heat recovery by organic Rankine cycle in oil and gas sector in Egypt: A case study, Energy, 64 (2014); pp. 462-472.
- Algieri., A, Morrone, P., Comparative energetic analysis of high-temperature subcritical and transcritical Organic Rankine Cycle (ORC). A biomass application in the Sibari district, Applied Thermal Engineering, 36 (2012), pp. 236-244.
- Algieri, A., Amelio, M., Morrone. P., Analisi delle Prestazioni di Cicli Rankine a Fluido Organico (ORC) per la valorizzazione dei Residui Colturali Disponibili nella Piana di Sibari, Proceedings of 66° Congresso ATI, Rende, Italy, 2011.
- Mago, P.J., Chamra, L.M., Srinivasan, K., Somayaji, C., An examination of regenerative organic Rankine cycles using dry fluids, Applied Thermal Engineering, 28 (2008), pp. 998-1007.
- Borsukiewicz-Gozdur, A., Nowak, W., Comparative analysis of natural and synthetic refrigerants in application to low temperature Clausius-Rankine cycle, Energy, 32 (2007), 4, pp. 344-352.
- Algieri., A, Morrone, P., Techno-economic Analysis of Biomass-fired ORC Systems for Single-family Combined Heat and Power (CHP) Applications, Energy Procedia, 45 (2014), pp. 1285-1294.
- Cayer, E., Galanis, N., Desilets, M., Nesreddine, H., Roy, P., Analysis of a carbon dioxide transcritical power cycle using a low temperature source, Applied Energy, 86 (2009), pp. 1055-1063.