International Scientific Journal
EXPERIMENTAL STUDIES ON RADIATION HEAT TRANSFER ENHANCEMENT ON A STANDARD MUFFLE FURNACE
One of the sources of increased industrial energy consumption is the heating equipment, e.g., furnaces. Their domain of use is very wide and due to its abundance of applications it is key equipment in modern civilization. The present experimental investigations are related to reducing energy consumptions and started from the geometry of a classic manufactured furnace. During this experimental study, different cases have been carefully chosen in order to compare and measure the effects of applying different enhancement methods of the radiation heat transfer processes. The main objective work was to evaluate the behavior of a heated enclosure, when different radiant panels were introduced. The experimental investigation showed that their efficiency was influenced by their position inside the heating area. In conclusion, changing the inner geometry by introducing radiant panels inside the heated chamber leads to important time savings in the heating process.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2011-03-09
PAPER REVISED: 2012-09-28
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2012-10-03
, VOLUME 17
, ISSUE Issue 2
, PAGES [591 - 598]
- Fleming, W.H., Khan, J.A., Rhodes, C.A., Effective heat transfer in a metalhydride based hydrogen separation process, Int. J. Hydrogen Energ. 26 (2001), pp. 711-724.
- Sahoo, P.K., Ansari, M.I.A., Datta, A.K., A computer based iterative solution for accurate estimation of heat transfer coefficients in a helical tube heat exchanger, J. Food Eng. 58 (2003), pp. 211-214.
- Yi, J., Liu, Z.H., Wang, J., Heat transfer characteristics of the evaporator section using small helical coiled pipe in a looped heat pipe, Appl. Therm. Eng. 23 (2003), pp. 89-99.
- Commission of the European Communities, Action plan for energy efficiency: realising the potential. Communication from the Commission. Brussels, 2006.
- White, F.M., Heat Transfer, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company Inc., New York, USA, 1984.
- Walpole, R.E., Myers, R.H., Myers, S.L., Probability and Statistics for Engineers, sixth ed., Prentice Hall Hisp., Mexico, 1999.
- Chui, E.H., Raithby, G.D., Hughes, P.M.J., Prediction of Radiative Heat Transfer in Enclosures by the Finite Volume Method, J. Thermophys. Heat Transfer 6 (1992), pp. 605-611
- Kang, J., Rong, Y.K., Modeling and simulation of heat transfer in loaded heat treatment furnaces. 1st ASM International Surface Engineering Conference and the 13th IFHTSE Congress; Columbus, OH; USA; 7-10 Oct. (2002) 337-343
- Bergles, A. E., Techniques to Enhance Heat Transfer, in Handbook of Heat Transfer, 3rd ed., (Rohsenow W. M., Hartnett, J. P., and Cho, Y. I., eds.), McGraw-Hill, New York, Chap. 11, 1998.
- Bergles, A. E., The Imperative to Enhance Heat Transfer, Heat Transfer Enhancement of Heat Exchangers (Kakac¸, S., Bergles, A. E., Mayinger, F., and Y¨uncii, H., eds.) Kluwer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 1999, pp. 13-29.
- Minea, A. A., Dima, A., Analytical approach to estimate the air velocity in the boundary layer of a heated furnace wall, Environmental Engineering and Management Journal, 7 (2008), pp. 329-335.
- Webb, R. L., Fujii, M., Menze, K., Rudy, T., Ayub, Z., Technology Review, J. Enhanced Heat Transfer, 1 (1993), pp. 1-4.
- Minea, A A, Simulation of Heat Transfer Processes in an Unconventional Furnace, Journal of Engineering Thermophysics, 19 (2010), pp. 31-38.
- Takami, K.M., Danielsson, O., Mahmoudi, J., High power reflector simulation to optimise electrical energy consumption and temperature profile, Applied Thermal Engineering 31 (2011), pp. 477-486
- Wang, Y., Bai, F., Jian, Y., Xu, C., Wang, Z., Heat transfer enhancement of an electric air heating furnace by inserting silicon carbide ceramic foam panels, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 38 (2012), pp. 127-133
- Wang, Y., Bai, F.W., Wang, Z.F., Heat transfer enhancement of a high temperature air heating furnace Journal of Engineering Thermophysics 33 (2012) , pp. 1047-1050
- Minea, A. A., Experimental technique for increasing heating rate in oval furnaces, Metalurgia International, XIII (2008), pp. 31- 35.
- Minea, A A, An Experimental Method to Decrease Heating Time in a Commercial Furnace, Experimental Heat Transfer, 23 (2010), pp. 175 - 184.
- Table Curve 3D, Systat Inc