International Scientific Journal
FLUCTUATING HYDROMAGNETIC NATURAL CONVECTION FLOW PAST A MAGNETIZED VERTICAL SURFACE IN THE PRESENCE OF THERMAL RADIATION
The effect of radiation on fluctuating hydro-magnetic natural convection flow of viscous, incompressible, electrically conducting fluid past a magnetized vertical plate is studied; when the magnetic field and surface temperature oscillates in magnitude about a constant non zero mean. The numerical solutions have been obtained for different values of radiation parameter (Rd) magnetic Prandtl number (Pm) magnetic force parameter (S) Prandtl number (Pr) and surface temperature ( w q ) in terms of amplitude and phase angle of coefficients of skin friction, rate of heat transfer and current density at the surface of the plate. Moreover, the effects of these parameters on transient coefficients of skin friction, rate of heat transfer and current density have been discussed. The finite difference method for primitive variable transformation and asymptotic series solution for stream function formulation has been used to obtain the numerical solution of the boundary layer flow field.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2011-08-05
PAPER REVISED: 2012-03-11
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2012-03-11
, VOLUME 16
, ISSUE Issue 4
, PAGES [1081 - 1096]
- Lighthill M. J., The response of laminar skin friction and heat transfer to fluctuation in the stream velocity. Proc. R. Soc. A, 224(1954)pp. 1-23.
- Ackerberg R. C., and Philips J. H., The unsteady boundary layer on a semi-infinite flat plate due to small fluctuations in the magnitude of the free stream velocity. J. Fluid Mech. 51(1972), part-I , pp. 137-157.
- Merkin J. H., Oscillatory free convection from an infinite horizontal cylinder., J. Fluid Mech., 30(1967)pp.561-576.
- Rott N. and Rosenweig M. L., On the response of the boundary layer to small fluctuations of the free stream velocity J. Aero Space Sci. 27(1960)pp.741-747.
- Lam S. H. and Rott N., Theory of linearized Time-Dependent Boundary Layers, AFORS TN-60- 1100(1960)pp. 51.
- Schoenhals B. J. and Clark J. A., The response of free convection boundary layer along a vertical plate J. heat transfer, Trans. ASME 84(1962),
- Blackenship V. D. and Clark J. A., Effects of oscillation from free convective boundary layer along vertical plate J. Heat transfer, Trans ASME 86(1964),
- ESHGHY S., Arpaci S. and Clark J. A., The effect of longitudinal oscillation on free convection from vertical surface J. Appl. Mech. 32(1965)pp. 183-191.
- Menold E. R. and Yang K. T., Laminar free convection boundary layers along a vertical heated plate to surface temperature oscillation J. Appl. Mech., 29(1962)pp.124-126.
- Nanda R. S. and Sharma V. P., Free Convection Laminar boundary layers in oscillatory flow. J. Fluid. Mech., 15(1963) pp.419-428.
- Muhuri P.K. and Maiti M.K., Free convection oscillatory flow from a horizontal plate. Heat Mass transfer 10(1967) pp.717-732.
- Verma R. L., Free convection fluctuating boundary layer on horizontal plate. J. Appl. Math .Mech.,(ZAMM) 63(1982)pp.483-487.
- Kelleher M. D., and Yang K. T., Heat transfer response of laminar free-convection boundary layers along a vertical heated plate to surface temperature oscillations. J. Appl. Math. Phys., ZAMP, 33(1968)pp. 541-553.
- Glauert M. B., The boundary layer on a magnetized plate. J. Fluid Mech. 12(1962), pp.625.
- Chawla S. S., Fluctuating boundary layer on a magnetized plate, Proc. Comb. Phil. Soc., 63(1967)pp. 513.
- Hossain M.A., and Ahmed M., MHD force and free convection boundary layer flow near the leading edge. Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer.,33(1990)pp.571-575.
- Jaman M. K. and Hossain M. A., Fluctuating free convection flow along heated horizontal circular cylinders. Int. J. Fluid Mech. Res., 36(2009) pp. 207-230.
- Kumar, H., Radiation heat transfer with hydromagnetic flow and viscous dissipation over a stretching surface in the presence variable heat flux, Thermal Science, 13(2009) pp. 163-169.
- Abdullah, I. A., Analytic solution of mass and heat transfer over permeable stretching plate affected by chemical reaction, internal heating, Dofour-Soret effect and Hall effect, Thermal Science, 13(2009)pp.183-197.
- Roy N. C. and Hossain M. A., The effect of conduction radiation on the oscillating natural convection boundary layer flow of viscous incompressible fluid along a vertical plate., J. Mech. Eng. Sci. Part c., 224(2009).
- Jaman M. K. and Hossain M. A., Effect of fluctuations surface temperature on natural convection flow over cylinders of elliptic cross section. The open transport phenomena Journal. 2(2010)pp.35 47.
- Muhammad Ashraf, Asghar S., and Hossain M.A., Thermal radiation effects on hydromagnetic mixed convection flow along a magnetized vertical porous plate. Mathematical Problems in Engineering. Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 686594, 30 pages doi:10.1155/2010/686594.