International Scientific Journal
EFFECTS OF THERMAL RADIATION AND HEAT TRANSFER OVER AN UNSTEADY STRETCHING SURFACE EMBEDDED IN A POROUS MEDIUM IN THE PRESENCE OF HEAT SOURCE OR SINK
The effects of thermal radiation and heat transfer over an unsteady stretching surface embedded in a porous medium in the presence of heat source or sink are studied. The governing time dependent boundary layer equations are transformed to ordinary differential equations containing radiation parameter, permeability parameter, heat source or sink parameter, Prandtl number, and unsteadiness parameter. These equations are solved numerically by applying Nachtsheim-Swinger shooting iteration technique together with Rung-Kutta fourth order integration scheme. The velocity profiles, temperature profiles, the skin friction coefficient, and the rate of heat transfer are computed and discussed in details for various values of the different parameters. Comparison of the obtained numerical results is made with previously published results.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2009-06-26
PAPER REVISED: 2010-03-16
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2010-03-25
, VOLUME 15
, ISSUE Issue 2
, PAGES [477 - 485]
- Sakiadis, B.C., Boundary layer behaviour on continuous solid surface I. Boundary-layer equations for two dimensional and axisymmetric flow. AIChE J 7 (1961) 1, pp. 26-28.
- Sakiadis, B.C., Boundary layer behaviour on continuous solid surface II. Boundary layer behaviuor on continuous flat surface. AIChE J 7 (1961) 1, pp. 221-235.
- Tsou, F.K., Sparrow, E.M., Goldstien, R.J. Flow and heat transfer in the boundary layer on a continuous moving surface, Int. J Heat Mass Transfer 10 (1967), pp. 219-235.
- Crane, L.J., Flow past a stretching plate, Z Angew, Math Phys 21 (1970), pp. 645-647.
- Vulgar, J., Laminar boundary layer behaviour on continuous accelerating surfaces, Chem. Eng. Sci., 32 (1977), pp. 1517-1525.
- Gupta, P.S., Gupta, A.S., Heat and mass transfer on a stretching sheet with suction or blowing, Canadian J Chem. Eng., 55 (1979) 6, pp. 744-746.
- Soundalgekar, V. M., Ramana, T.V., Heat transfer past a continuous moving plate with variable temperature, Warme- Und Stoffuber tragung, 14 (1980), pp. 91-93.
- Grubka, L. J., Bobba, K. M., Heat transfer characteristics of a continuous stretching surface with variable temperature, J Heat Transfer, 107 (1985), pp. 248-250.
- Ali, M.E., Heat transfer characteristics of a continuous stretching surface, Warme-Und Stoffubertragung, 29 (1994), pp. 227-234.
- Banks, W.H.H., Similarity solutions of the boundary layer equation for a stretching wall, J Mac. Theo. Appl. 2 (1983), pp. 375-392.
- Ali, M. E., On thermal boundary layer on a power law stretched surface with suction or injection. Int. J. Heat Mass Flow 16 (1995), pp. 280-290.
- Elbashbeshy, E. M. A., Heat transfer over a stretching surface with variable heat flux, J Physics D: Appl. Physics., 31 (1998), pp. 1951-1955.
- Elbashbeshy, E. M. A., Bazid, M. A. A., Heat transfer over a continuously moving plate embedded in a non-Darcian porous medium Int. J. Heat and Mass Transfer, 43 (2000), pp. 3087-3092.
- H.T. Andersson, H.T., Aarseth, J. B., Dandapat, B.S., Heat transfer in a liquid film on an unsteady stretching surface, Int. J. Heat Transfer, 43 (2000), pp. 69-74.
- Elbashbeshy, E. M. A., Bazid, M. A. A., Heat transfer over an unsteady stretching surface, Heat Mass Transfer, 41 (2004), pp. 1-4.
- Ishak, A., Nazar, R., Pop, I., Heat Transfer over an unsteady stretching surface with Prescribed heat flux, Can. J. Phys., 86 (2008), pp. 853-855.
- Ishak, A., Nazar, R., Pop, I., Heat transfer over an unsteady stretching permeable surface with prescribed wall temperature, Nonlinear Analysis: Real World Applications, 10 (2009), pp. 2909-2913
- Ali, A., Mehmood, A., Homotopy analysis of unsteady boundary layer flow adjacent to permeable stretching surface in a porous medium. Commun. Nonlinear Sci. Numer. Simul. 13 (2008), pp. 340-349.
- Elbashbeshy, E. M. A., Dimian, M.F., Effects of radiation on the flow and heat transfer over a wedge with variable viscosity, Appl. Math. Comp., 132 (2002), pp. 445-454 (2008).
- Hossain, M. A., Alim, M. A., Rees, D., The effect of radiation on free convection from a porous vertical plate, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 42 (1999), pp. 181-191.
- Hossain, M.A., Khanfer, K., Vafai, K., The effect of radiation on free convection flow of fluid with variable viscosity from a porous vertical plate, Int. J. Therm. Sci., 40(2001), pp. 115-124.
- Chen, C. H., MHD mixed convection of a power-law Fluid past a stretching surface in the presence of thermal radiation and internal heat generation /absorption, Int. J. of Nonlinear Mechanics, 44(2008), pp. 296-603.
- Bataller, R. C., Radiation effects in the Blasius flow, Appl. Math. Comput. 198 (2008), pp. 333-338.
- Fang, T, Zhang, J., Thermal boundary layers over a shrinking sheet: an analytical solution. Acta Mechanica 209 (2010), pp. 325-343.
- Fang, T.-G., Zhang, J., Yao, S.-S., Viscous flow over an unsteady shrinking sheet with mass transfer. Chin. Phys. Lett. 26 (2009), pp. 014703-1 - 014703-4.
- Ali, M. E., Magyari, E., Unsteady fluid and heat flow induced by a submerged stretching surface while its steady motion is slowed down gradually. Int. J. Heat Mass Transf. 50 (2007), pp. 188-195
- Shamara, P. R., Effects of Ohmic heating and viscous dissipation on steady MHD flow near a stagnation point on an isothermal stretching sheet, Thermal Science, 13 (2010), 1, pp. 5-12.