International Scientific Journal
FINITE DIFFERENCE SIMULATION OF LOW CARBON STEEL MANUAL ARC WELDING
This study discusses the evaluation and simulation of angular distortion in welding joints, and the ways of controlling and treating them, while welding plates of (low carbon steel) type (A-283-Gr-C) through using shielded metal arc welding. The value of this distortion is measured experimentally and the results are compared with the suggested finite difference method computer program. Time dependent temperature distributions are obtained using finite difference method. This distribution is used to obtain the shrinkage that causes the distortions accompanied with structural forces that act to modify these distortions. Results are compared with simple empirical models and experimental results. Different thickness of plates and welding parameters is manifested to illustrate its effect on angular distortions. Results revealed the more accurate results of finite difference method that match experimental results in comparison with empirical formulas. Welding parameters include number of passes, current, electrode type and geometry of the welding process.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2010-02-06
PAPER REVISED: 2010-04-08
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2010-05-22
, VOLUME 15
, ISSUE Issue 1
, PAGES [207 - 214]
- Rosenthal D. and Schmerber R., Thermal study of arc welding, Experimental verification of theoretical formulas, Am. Weld. Journ, (1938), pp. 2s-8s
- Westby O., Temperature distribution in the work-piece by welding, Ph. D. Thesis, The technical University of Norway, Trondheim, 1968.
- Rappaz M., Modelling of microstructure formation in solidification processes, International Materials Review, 34 (1989), 3, pp.93-123
- Igarashi K., Method for automatic optimization of finite difference grids in simulator, United States Patent no. 5991526 (1999).
- Okerblom N.O., Technological and structural design of welded structures, Mashinostroenie, (1964)
- Okerblom N. O., The calculations of deformation of welded metal structures, Mashgiz, (1955)
- Shibib K. S., Minshid M. A., and Tahir M. M., Finite element analysis of spot laser of steel welding temperature history, Thermal Science, 13 (2009), 4, pp. 143-150
- Maiti A. De, S. K., Walsh C. A. and Bhadeshia H. K. D. H., Finite element simulation of laser spot welding, Science and Technology of Welding and Joining, 8, (2003), 5, pp. 377-384
- Jiang Wei, Yahiaoui Kadda, and Hall Frank R., Finite Element Predictions of Temperature Distributions in a Multipass Welded Piping Branch Junction, J. Pressure Vessel Technol. 127 (2005), 1, pp. 7-13
- Frewin M. R. and Scott D. A., Finite Element Model of Pulsed Laser Welding, Welding research supplement, (1999) pp. 17s-22s
- Zhu X.K., Chao Y.J., Numerical simulation of transient temperature and residual stresses in friction stir welding of 304L stainless steel, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 146 (2004) pp. 263-272
- Abida M. and Siddique M., Numerical simulation to study the effect of tack welds and root gap on welding deformations and residual stresses of a pipe-flange joint, International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping 82 (2005), 11, pp. 860-871
- Yaghia A., Hydea T.H., Becker A.A., Suna W. and Williams J.A., Residual stress simulation in thin and thick-walled stainless steel pipe welds including pipe diameter effects, International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, 83 (2006), 11-12, pp. 864-874
- Mackerle J., Finite element analysis and simulation of welding: a bibliography (1976 - 1996), Modelling Simul. Mater. Sci. Eng. 4 (1996) pp. 501-533
- Koseki T., Inoueb H., Fukudac Y. and Nogami A., Numerical simulation of equiaxed grain formation in weld solidification, Science and Technology of Advanced Materials 4 (2003), 2, pp. 183-195
- Mezrhab A., Bouzidi M., and Lallemand P., Hybrid lattice-Boltzmann finite-difference simulation of convective flows, Computers & Fluids
- Volume 33 (2004), 4, pp. 623-641
- Costa M., Buddhi D. and Olivia A., Numerical simulation of a latent heat thermal energy storage system with enhanced heat conduction, Energy conversion and management 39 (1998), 3-4, pp. 319-330
- Andrés E. Tejada-Martı´neza, Chester E. Groschb, Ann E. Gargettb, Jeff A. Poltonc, Jerome A. Smithd and J.A. MacKinnon, A hybrid spectral/finite-difference large-eddy simulator of turbulent processes in the upper ocean, Ocean Modelling 30 (2009), 2-3, pp. 115-142
- Tamura A., Tsutahara M., and Kataoka T., Numerical Simulation of Two-Dimensional Blade-Vortex Interactions Using Finite Difference Lattice Boltzmann Method, AIAA Journal 46 (2008), 9, p 2235
- Grzesik W. and Bartoszuk M., Prediction of temperature distribution in the cutting zone using finite difference approach, International Journal of Machining and Machinability of Materials 6 (2009), 1-2, pp. 43-53
- Bakier A. Y. and Mansour M. A., Combined of magnetic field and thermophoresis particle deposition in free convection boundary layer from a vertical flat plate embedded in a porous medium, Thermal Science, 11 (2007), 1, pp. 65-74.
- Mohammed, H. A. and Salman, Y. K., Numerical study of combined convection heat transfer for thermally developing upward flow in a vertical cylinder, Thermal Science, 12 (2008), 2, pp. 89-102.
- Callister W.D., Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 2000
- Hughes W. F. and Gaylord E. W., Schaum's outline series in Basic equations of engineering science, McGraw-Hill 1964.