International Scientific Journal
IMPROVING THERMAL PERFORMANCE USING AL2O3-WATER NANOFLUID IN A DOUBLE PIPE HEAT EXCHANGER FILLING WITH POROUS MEDIUM
A double pipe heat exchanger is significant device for many industrial applications. In this paper, an experimental study using both porous media and nanofluid to enhance heat transfer in a double pipe heat exchanger is performed. The test rig has been fabricated with inner copper pipe of 1.10 m length, 16 mm, and 14 mm outside and inside diameter, respectively. While, the outer PVC pipe is 1 m length, 31 mm, and 27 mm outside and inside diameter, respectively. The inner pipe has been filling with 3 mm diameters of steel balls porous media. The experimental tests were performed utilizing alumina nanofluid (Al2O3-water) with two volume concentrations 0.5% and 1%. The volume flow-rates are in the range of (2-5) Lpm and 10 Lpm through inner and outer pipe, respectively. It was conducted with a constant 28ᵒC inlet temperature of cold fluid-flow inside the inner pipe and 50ᵒC inlet temperature of hot fluid-flow inside the outer pipe. Results indicated that the heat transfer enhanced as nanofluid volume concentrations and volume flow-rates increase. It was observed that effectiveness increases as increase of flow-rate and nanofluid concentrations.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2019-06-02
PAPER REVISED: 2019-10-12
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2020-01-29
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2020-02-08
, VOLUME 24
, ISSUE Issue 6
, PAGES [4267 - 4275]
- Vafai, K., Handbook of Porous Media, Marcel Dekker, Marcel, 2000.
- Pop, I., Ingham, D.B., Convective Heat Transfer: Mathematical and Computational Modeling of Viscous Fluids and Porous Media, Pergamon, Oxford, 2001.
- Kim, M.C., Lee, S.B., Chung, B.J., Thermal instability of viscoelastic fluids in porous media, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 46 (2003) 5065-5072.
- Ingham, D.B., Pop, I., Transport Phenomena in Porous Media, vol. III, Pergamon, Oxford, 2005.
- Buongiorno, J., Convective transport in nanofluids, ASME J. Heat Transf. 128 (2006) 240-250.
- Tiwari, R.K., Das, M.K., Heat transfer augmentation in a two-sided lid-driven differentially heated square cavity utilizing nanofluids, Int. J. Heat Mass Transf. 50 (2007) 2002-2018.
- Vadasz, P., Emerging Topics in Heat and Mass Transfer in Porous Media, Springer, New York, 2008.
- Nield, D.A., Kuznetsov, A.V., Thermal instability in a porous medium layer saturated by a nanofluid, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 52 (2009) 5796-5801.
- Nield, D.A., Kuznetsov, A.V., The Chenge Minkowycz problem for natural convective boundary-layer flow in a porous medium saturated by a nanofluid, Int. J. Heat Mass Transf. 52 (2009) 5792-5795.
- Bachok, N., Ishak, A., Pop, I., Boundary-layer flow of nanofluids over a moving surface in a flowing fluid, Int. J. Therm. Sci. 49 (2010) 1663-1668.
- Vafai, K., Porous Media: Applications in Biological Systems and Biotechnology, CRC Press, New York, 2010.
- Wong, K.V., Leon, O.D., Applications of nanofluids: current and future, Adv. Mech. Eng. 2010 (2010) 1-12.
- Hussein. A.M., Thermal performance and thermal properties of hybrid nanofluid laminar flow in a double pipe heat exchanger. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 88 (2017) 37-45.
- Tham, L., Nazar, R., Pop, I., Mixed convection boundary layer flow about an isothermal solid sphere in a nanofluid, Phys. Scr. 84 (2011), 025403- 025403.
- Nield, D.A., Kuznetsov, A.V., Thermal instability in a porous medium layer saturated by a nanofluid: a revised model, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 68 (2014) 211-214.
- Hussein, A.M., Bakar, R.A., Kadirgama, K., Sharma, K.V., Experimental measurement of nanofluids thermal properties. International Journal of Automotive and Mechanical Engineering, 7,2014, 850-863.
- Rudraiah, N., Kaloni, P.N., Radhadevi, P.V., Oscillatory convection in a viscoelastic fluid through a porous layer heated from below, Rheol. Acta 28 (1989) 48-52.
- Shenoy, A.V., Non-Newtonian fluid heat transfer in porous media, Adv. Heat Transfer 24 (1994) 90-101.
- Shivakumara, I.S., Malashetty, M.S., Chavaraddi, K.B., Onset of convection in a viscoelastic-fluid-saturated sparsely packed porous layer using a thermal nonequilibrium model, Can. J. Phys. 84 (2006) 973-990.
- Malashetty, M.S., Shivakumara, I.S., Kulkarni, S., Swamy, M., Convective instability of Oldroyd B fluid saturated porous layer heated from below using a thermal nonequilibrium model, Transp. Porous Media 64 (2006) 123-139.
- Das, S.K., Choi, S.U.S., Yu, W., T. Ptadet, Nanofluids: Science and Technology, Wiley, New Jersey, 2007.
- Duangthongsuk, W., Wongwises, S., A critical review of convective heat transfer nanofluids, Renew. Sust. Eng. Rev. 11 (2007) 797-817.
- Wang, X.Q., Mujumdar, A.S., A review on nanofluids-part I: theoretical and numerical investigations, Braz. J. Chem. Eng. 25 (2008) 613-630.
- Zhang, Z., Fu, C., Tan, W., Linear and nonlinear stability analyses of thermal convection for Oldroyd-B fluids in porous media heated from below, Phys. Fluids 20 (2008) 084103-1-084103-12.
- Kakaç, S., Pramuanjaroenkij, A., Review of convective heat transfer enhancement with nanofluids, Int. J. Heat Mass Transf. 52 (2009) 3187-3196.
- Eagen, J., Rusconi, R., Piazza, R., Yip, S., The classical nature of thermal conduction in nanofluids, ASME J. Heat Transf. 132 (2010) 102402 (14 pages).
- Lee, J.H., Lee, S.H., Choi, C.J., Jang, S.P., Choi, S.U.S., A review of thermal conductivity data, mechanics and models for nanofluids, Int. J. Micro-Nano Scale Transp. 1 (2010) 269-322.
- Fan, J., Wang, L., Review of heat conduction in nanofluids, ASME J. Heat Transf. 133 (2011) 040801 (14 pages).
- Nazar, R., Tham, L., Pop, I., Ingham, D.B., mixed convection boundary layer flow from a horizontal circular cylinder embedded in a porous medium filled with a nanofluid, Transp. Porous Med. 86 (2011) 517-536.
- Sheu, L.J., Thermal instability in a porous medium layer saturated with a viscoelastic nanofluid, Transp. Porous Media 88 (2011) 461-477.
- Agarwal, S., Sacheti, N.C., Chandran, P., Bhadauria, B.S., Singh, A.K., Non-linear convective transport in a binary nanofluid saturated porous layer, Transp. Porous Med. 93 (2012) 29-49.
- Hussein, A.M., Sharma, K.V., Bakar, R.A., Kadirgama, K.. A review of forced convection heat transfer enhancement and hydrodynamic characteristics of a nanofluid. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 29(2014)734-743.
- Hussein, A.M., Adaptive Neuro-Fuzzy Inference System of friction factor and heat transfer nanofluid turbulent flow in a heated tube. Case Studies in Thermal Engineering 8 (2016) 94 -104.
- Hussein, A.M., Bakar, R.A. Kadirgama, K., Sharma, K.V., Heat transfer enhancement with elliptical tube under Turbulent flow TiO2-water nanofluid. Thermal Science, 20(2016), 89-97.
- Hussein, A.M., Kadirgama, K., Noor, M.M., Nanoparticles suspended in ethylene glycol thermal properties and applications: An overview. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 69 (2017): 1324-1330.