International Scientific Journal
QUANTITATIVE ASSESMENT OF THE IMPROVEMENT OF THE DRYING PROCESS BY INCREASING THE TURBULENCE LEVEL
The drying process of vegetable species is a widely used technique for food conservation. The process requires large amounts of energy and it is responsible for the emission of pollutants to the environment. Therefore, many investigations have been made in order to improve the energy aspects of the process. It is very common that the effect of temperature and drying air mass flow rate on the drying process are included in research but the effect of the turbulence level has not been studied yet. In this paper, the effect of the drying air turbulence level, temperature and mass flow rate in the drying time, efficiency and energy consumption involved in the drying process of three types of chilies are studied. Under the conditions studied the turbulence level is the most influential factor in the drying process, followed by drying temperature. Also, the energy invested in increasing the turbulence level is very advantageous.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2017-05-09
PAPER REVISED: 2017-08-08
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2017-08-25
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2017-09-09
, VOLUME 23
, ISSUE Issue 2
, PAGES [953 - 963]
- Galindo, G., El servicio de asistencia técnica a los productores de chile seco en Zacatecas., Convergencia, 14 (2007), 1, pp. 137-165
- SIAP Un panorama del cultivo de chile. Report No. 1. Servicio de Información Agroalimentaria y Pesquera, Mexico City, Mexico, SAGARPA (2010)
- Hernández-Díaz, W. N., et al., Coffee grain rotary drying optimization, Revista Mexicana de Ingeniería Química, 12 (2013), 2, pp. 281-290
- Hernández-Botello, M. T., et al., Effect of the fluidized bed drying on the structure and biosorption capability of Pb+2 of agave epidermis, Revista Mexicana de Ingeniería Química, 13 (2014), 3, pp. 865-885
- Balbay, A., et al., Modeling of convective drying kinetics of pistachio kernels in a fixed bed drying system. Thermal science, 17 (2013), 3, pp. 839-846
- Ghasemkhani, H., et al., Improving exergetic performance parameters of a rotating-tray air dryer via a simple heat exchanger, Applied Thermal Engineering, 94 (2016), 1, pp. 13-23.
- Zlatanovi, I., et al., Low-temperature convective drying of apple cubes, Applied Thermal Engineering, 53 (2013), 1, pp. 114-123
- Sojaka, M. J., et al., Analysis of Giant Pumpkin (Cucurbita maxima) Quality Parameters in Various Technologies of Convective Drying After Long-Term Storage, Drying Technology: An International Journal, 32, (2014), 1, pp. 106-116
- Perea-Flores, M.J., Mathematical modeling of castor oil seeds (Ricinus communis) drying kinetics in fluidized bed at high temperatures, Industrial Crops and Products, 38 (2012), 2, pp. 64-71
- Misljenovic, N.M., et al., Optimization of the osmotic dehydration of carrot cubes in sugar beet molasses, Thermal science, 16 (2012), 1, pp. 43-52
- Akpinar, E. K., Thermodynamic analysis of strawberry drying process in a cyclone type dryer Journal of scientific and industrial research, 66 (2007), 2, pp. 152-161
- Akpinar, E. K., Bicer, Y., Modelling of thin layer kinetics of sour cherry in a solar dryer and under open sun, Journal of scientific and industrial research, 66 (2007), 9, pp. 764-771
- Ramos-de-Oliveira, M. T., et al., Effect of drying-air temperature on content and chemical composition of the essential oil of pectis brevipedunculata. Quimica Nova, 34 (2011), 7, pp. 1200-1204
- Passos, A. R., et al., Construction of a chamber for in situ monitoring of the drying process of gels and porous solids, Quimica Nova, 34 (2011), 8, pp. 1455-1458
- Tzempelikos, D. A., et al., Design, construction and evaluation of a new laboratory convective dryer using CFD, International journal of mechanics, 7 (2013), 9, pp. 425-434
- Zdanski, P.S.B., Numerical Assessment of the Air Flow Behaviour in a Conventional Compact Dry Kiln, Journal of Applied Fluid Mechanics 8 (2015), 3, pp. 367-376
- Zhen-zhen, C., et al., Effect of different drying technologies on drying characteristics and quality of red pepper (Capsicum frutescens L.): a comparative study, Journal of the science of food and agriculture, 96 (2016), 10, pp. 3596-3603.
- Lechtanska, J. M. ., et al., Microwave- and infrared-assisted convective drying of green pepper: Quality and energy considerations, Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification, 98 (2015), 1, pp. 155-164
- Onat, A., Binark, K., Theoretical and experimental analysis of drying various geometrical forms of red pepper. Proceedings of the 4th international congress APMAS2014, Fethiye, Turkey, 2014.
- Pal, U. S., et al., Heat Pump Drying of Green Sweet Pepper, Drying Technology. 26 (2008), 2, pp. 1584-1590
- Veras, A. O. M., et al., Drying kinetics, structural characteristics and vitamin C retention of deedo-de-moca pepper (Capsicum baccatum) during convective and freeze drying, Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering 29, (2012), 4, pp. 741 - 750
- Vega-Gálvez, A., et al., Effect of air-drying temperature on physico-chemical properties, antioxidant capacity, colour and total phenolic content of red pepper (Capsicum annuum, L. var. Hungarian), Food Chemistry, 117 (2009), 4, pp. 647-653
- Scala, K., Crapiste, G., Drying kinetics and quality changes during drying of red pepper, Food Science and Technology, 41 (2008), 5, pp. 789-795
- Vega-Gálvez, A., et al., Mathematical modeling of hot-air drying kinetics of red bell pepper (var. Lamuyo), Journal of Food Engineering, 79 (2007), 4, pp. 1460-1466.
- Carrera-Escobedo, J. L., et al., CFD analysis for improving temperature distribution in a chili drier, Termal sciencie in press, accepted for publication.
- Guzmán-Valdivia, C.H., et al., Design, development and control of a portable laboratory for the chili drying process study, Mechatronics,39 (2016), pp. 160-173.
- Çengel YA, Boles M. A., Thermodynamics an engineering approach, Mc Graw Hill, New York, USA, 2015.