International Scientific Journal
SWOT-AHP METHOD APPLICATION TO DETERMINE CURRENT ENERGY SITUATION AND DEFINE STRATEGIES FOR ENERGY SECURITY IMPROVEMENT
The main objective of this paper is to determine the current energy (electricity) situation in municipality of Štrpce and define and assess potential strategies for improving energy security. For that purpose, paper employed hybrid strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats (SWOT) and analytical hierarchy process (AHP) methods. First, current energy situation is observed using SWOT analysis. Then, according TOWS matrix potential SO, WO, ST and WT strategies were defined. All strategies are rated using Expert choice software. Result show that the three best ranked strategies for improvement of energy security are: revitalization of the entire existing distribution network (ST1), defining the appropriate investment and legal model for the needs of building RES (ST2) and introducing energy management in the public, commercial and industrial sectors and establishing a municipal energy office (WT1), respectively.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2018-03-19
PAPER REVISED: 2018-05-07
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2018-08-20
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2018-09-30
, VOLUME 23
, ISSUE Issue 2
, PAGES [861 - 872]
- Energy strategy of Kosovo* 2009-2018 (in Serbian language), Nr. 03-V-272, Kosovo*, 2009.
- *** The International Energy Agency, www.iea.org
- *** Mihajlović Milanović, Z., Energy security of south east Europe countries in term of russian energy policies (in serbian language), www.isac-fund.org/download/06-Dr%20Zorana%20Mihajlovic%20-%20Energetska%20bezbednost%20zemalja%20JIE.pdf ,
- Checchi, A. et al., Long-Term Energy Security Risks for Europe: A Sector-Specific approach, Centre for European policy studies, 309 (2009), pp. 1-47.
- Chester, L., Conceptualising energy security and making explicit its polysemic nature, Energy Policy 38 (2010), pp. 887-895.
- Pavlović B., Ivezić D., Availability as a dimension of energy security in the republic of Serbia, Thermal science, 21 (2017), 1A, pp. 323-333.
- Đorđević B., Analysis of energy security of the Republic of Serbia: geoeconomic approach (in serbian language), Megabiznis, 1 (2017), pp. 45-64.
- Bukurov M. et al., Finding the balance between the energy security and environmental protection in Serbia, Thermal science, 14 (2010), Suppl., pp. S15-S25
- Municipal Energy Efficiency Plan 2016-2021 - MEEP (in serbian language), USAID, 2016.
- Chang, HH., Huang, WC., Application of a quantification SWOT analytical method, Mathematical and Computer Modelling, 43 (2006), 1-2, pp. 158-169.
- Kajanus, M. et al., The use of value focused thinking and the A'WOT hybrid method in tourism management, Tourism Management, 25 (2004), 4, pp. 499-506.
- Božanić D. et al., Application of SWOT analysis to the energy security analysis of the Republic of Serbia (in serbian language), Energy, economy, ecology, 1 (2011), 8, pp. 65-70.
- Shi, X., The future of ASEAN energy mix: A SWOT analysis, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Review, 53 (2016), pp. 672-680
- Shinno, H. et al., Quantitative SWOT analysis on global competitiveness of machine tool industry, Journal of Engineering Design, 17 (2006), 3, pp. 251-258.
- Kurttila, M. et al., Utilizing the analytic hierarchy process AHP in SWOT analysis - a hybrid method and its application to a forestcertification case, Forest Policy and Economics 1 (2000), 1, pp. 41-52.
- Saaty, T. L., The analytics hierarchy process: planning, priority setting, resources allocation, McGraw-Hill International Book Co, New York, USA, 1980.
- Saaty, T.L., The Analytic Hierarchy Process, RWS Publications, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, 1990.
- Tuzmen, S., Sipahi, S., A multi-criteria factor evaluation model for gas station site selection, Journal of Global Management, 2 (2011), 1, pp. 12-21.
- Shrestha, R.K., et al., Exploring the potential for silvopasture adoption in south-central Florida: an application of SWOT-AHP method, Agricultural systems, 81 (2004), 3, pp. 185-199.
- Lee, S., Walsh, P., SWOT and AHP hybrid model for sport marketing outsourcing using a case of intercollegiate sport, Sport Management Review 14 (2011), 4, pp.361-369.
- Đaković D. et al., Multi-criteria analysis as a support for National energy policy regarding the use of biomass, case study of Serbia, Thermal science, 20, (2016), 2, pp. 371-380.
- Stojcetovic, B. et al., Application of integrated strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats and analytic hierarchy process methodology to renewable energy project selection in Serbia, Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, 8 (2016).
- Reinsberger, K., et al., Photovoltaic diffusion from bottom-up: Analytical investigation of critical factors, Applied energy, 159 (2015), pp. 178-187.
- Zare, K., et al., A SWOT framework for analyzing the electricity supply chain using an integrated AHP methodology combined with fuzzy TOPSIS, International strategic management review, 3, (2015), 1-2, pp. 66-80.
- Bas, E., The integrated framework for analysis of electricity supply chain using an integrated SWOT-fuzzy TOPSIS methodology combined with AHP: The case of Turkey, International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems 44-1, (2013), pp. 897-907.
- Reinsberger, K. et al., The role of photovoltaics in energy transition: An integrated SWOT-AHP approach, GAIA, 24/1 (2015), pp. 49-55,
- Kangas, J. et al., Evaluating the management strategies of a forestland estate-the SO-S approach, Journal of Environmental Management, 69 (2003), pp. 349-358.
- Yuksek, I., Akin, A., Determination strategy in business with analytic hierarchy process, Dogus university journal, 7 (2006), 2, pp. 254-268.
- Taskin, A., Guneri, A., Strateji gelistirmede A WOT hibrit metodu kullanimi ve Turk kimya sektorunde bir uygulama calismasi, V National production research symposium proceedings book (UAS 05), 2005, pp. 503 - 507.
- Rauch, P., Developing and evaluating strategies to overcome biomass supply risks, Renewable Energy, 103 (2017), pp. 561-569.
- Municipal development plan Strpce (In serbian language), Helvetas, Kosovo*, 2013.
- A guide to the project management body of knowledge, Project management institute, Penn. USA, 2013.
- ***Huld, T., Pinedo-Pascua, I., Joint Research Centre Institute for Energy and Transport, Renewable Energy Unit PVGIS, re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_download/map_pdfs/G_opt_RS.pdf
- Internal report, municipality of Štrpce.
- Law on public private partnership (in serbian language), No 04/L-045, Official gazette 26/2011, Kosovo*.