International Scientific Journal
NUMERICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL INVESTIGATION OF HEAT AND MASS TRANSFER WITHIN BIO-BASED MATERIAL
In this paper, the coupled heat and mass transfer within porous media has been studies. First, the studied materials have been characterized experimentally and than evaluated their thermal properties, namely thermal conductivity and specific heat in different states (dry-wet). The hygroscopic properties, namely water vapour permeability, water vapour sorption. At second time, we present and validate the mathematical model describing heat and mass transfer within bio-based materials, by the confrontation with the experimental results. The materials properties obtained from the characterisation part are used as model’s input parameters. Moreover, a test facility is mounted in the laboratory in order to compare the numerical and experimental data. The founded results show a good concordance between the simulated and measured data. According to this results the mathematical model of Philip and de Vries gives a good prediction of hygrothermal behaviour of bio-based material. This model will allow us to save money and time of the experimental part in the future.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2016-10-19
PAPER REVISED: 2018-03-30
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2018-05-13
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2018-06-03
, VOLUME 23
, ISSUE Issue 1
, PAGES [23 - 31]
- ADEM www.ademe.fr/Bâtiment-chiffres-clés-2013.
- Maalouf C, Le T, Umurigirwa SB, Lachi M, Douzane O (2014) Study of hygrothermal behaviour of a hemp concrete building envelope under summer conditions in France. Energy Build 77:48-57
- Zhang M, Qin M, Rode C, Chen Z (2017) Moisture buffering phenomenon and its impact on building energy consumption. Appl Therm Eng 124:337-345
- Filfli S (2007) Optimizing building HVAC system in order to minimize energy consumption due to air-conditioning. Ph.D. Thesis, l'Ecole des Mines de Paris
- Pretot S, Collet F, Garnier C (2014) Life cycle assessment of a hemp concrete wall: Impact of thickness and coating. Build Environ 223-231
- Holopainen R, Tuomaala P, Hernandez P, Häkkinen T, Piira K, Piippo J (2013) Comfort assessment in the context of sustainable buildings: Comparison of simplified and detailed human thermal sensation methods. Build Environ 60-70
- Elfordy S, Lucas F, Tancret F, Scudeller Y, Goudet L (2008) Mechanical and thermal properties of lime and hemp concrete ("hempcrete") manufactured by a projection process. Constr Build Mater 22:2116-2123
- de Bruijn P, Johansson P (2013) Moisture fixation and thermal properties of lime-hemp concrete. Constr Build Mater 47:1235-1242
- Collet F, Marmoret L, Beji H, Achchaq F (2010) Water vapour properties of two hemp wools manufactured with different treatments. Constr Build Mater Pages 1079-1085
- Chamoin J (2013) Optimisation des propriétés (physiques, mécaniques et hydriques) de bétons de chanvre par la maîtrise de la formulation. INSA de Rennes
- Rahim M, Douzane O, Tran Le AD, Langlet T (2016) Effect of moisture and temperature on thermal properties of three bio-based materials. Constr Build Mater 111:119-127
- Mendes N, Ridley I, Lamberts R, Philippi PC, Budag K (1999) Umidus: A PC Program For The Prediction Of Heat And Mass Transfer In Porous Building Elements In. Int. Conf. Build. Perform. Simul. IBPSA´99 Kyoto
- Philip JR, De Vries DA (1957) Moisture Movement in Porous Materials under Temperature Gradients. Trans Am Geophys Union 222-232
- Comsol Multiphysics. In: www.comsol.com/products/multiphysics/.
- Collet F, Pretot S (2012) Experimental investigation of moisture buffering capacity of sprayed hemp concrete. Constr Build Mater 36:58-65
- Tran Le AD, Maalouf C, Mai TH, Wurtz E, Collet F (2010) Transient hygrothermal behaviour of a hemp concrete building envelope. Energy Build 42:1797-1806
- Chafei S, Khadraoui F, Boutouil M, Gomina M (2014) Optimizing the formulation of flax fiber-reinforced cement composites. Constr Build Mater 659-664
- Claramunt J, Ardanuy M, García-Hortal J-A, Filho R-D-T (2011) The hornification of vegetable fibers to improve the durability of cement mortar composites. Cem Concr Compos 586-595
- Rafidiarison H, Rémond R, Mougel E (2015) Dataset for validating 1-D heat and mass transfer models within building walls with hygroscopic materials. Build Environ 89:356-368
- Vololonirina O, Coutand M, Perrin B (2014) Characterization of hygrothermal properties of wood-based products - Impact of moisture content and temperature. Constr Build Mater 63:223-233
- Limam A, Zerizer A, Quenard D, Sallee H, Chenak A (2016) Experimental thermal characterization of bio-based materials (Aleppo Pine wood, cork and their composites) for building insulation. Energy Build 116:89-95
- (2001) NF EN 12667 Thermal performance of building materials and products - Determination of thermal resistance by means of guarded hot plate and heat flow meter methods - Products of high and medium thermal resistance.
- (2013) NF EN ISO 12571 Hygrothermal performance of building materials and products- Determination of hygroscopic sorption properties.
- (2001) NF EN ISO 12572 Hygrothermal performance of building material and products- Determination of water vapour transmission properties.
- Vololonirina O, Coutand M, Perrin B (2014) Characterization of hygrothermal properties of wood based products - Impact of moisture content and temperature. Constr Build Mater 223-233
- Luikov AV (1957) System of differential equation of heat and mass transfer in capillary porous bodies. Int J Heat Mass Transf 1-14
- Whitaker S (1977) Simultaneous Heat, Mass, and Momentum Transfer in Porous Media: A Theory of Drying. Adv. Heat Transf.