International Scientific Journal
FILM CONDENSATION GENERATED BY FREE CONVECTION IN A POROUS MEDIUM
In this paper, the steady process of laminar film condensation on a vertical wall with the backside cooled by free convection in a fluid-saturated porous medium is analyzed as a conjugate problem. In the analysis, neither the temperature nor the heat flux at the wall sides is assumed, but they are determined from the solution like other unknown parameters. The analysis is conducted in a dimensionless way to generalize the solution. The main variables controlling the film condensation process are revealed from the analysis, which define the relative importance of interactive wall conduction, free convection and film condensation modes. The study indicates that the conjugate solution of laminar-film condensation problem is different from a Nusselt-type solution.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2016-08-20
PAPER REVISED: 2016-12-14
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2016-12-25
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2017-01-14
, VOLUME 22
, ISSUE Issue 6
, PAGES [2699 - 2710]
- Dorfman, A.S., Conjugate Problems in Convective Heat Transfer, Taylor & Francis, New York, USA, 2010, pp. 21-29
- Nusselt, W., Die Oberflachen Kondensation des Wasserdampes, Z. Ver. Deut. Ing., 60 (1916), pp.541-546
- Rohsenow, W.M., Heat Transfer and Temperature Distribution in Laminar Film Condensation, ASME J. Heat Transfer, 78 (1956), pp. 1645-1648
- Winkler, C.M., Chen, T.S., Minkowycz, W.J., Film Condensation of Saturated and Superheated Vapors along Isothermal Vertical Surfaces in Mixed Convection, Numer. Heat Transfer, 36 (1999), (2), pp. 375-393
- Xu, H., You, X. Ch., Pop, I., Analytical Approximation for Laminar Film Condensation of Saturated Stream on an Isothermal Vertical Plate, Appl. Math. Model, 32 (2008), pp. 738-748.
- Chang, T.-B., Mixed-convection Film Condensation along Outside Surface of Vertical Tube in Saturated Vapor with Forced Flow, Applied Thermal Engineering, 28(2008), pp. 547-555.
- Le, Q.T., Ormiston, S.J., Soliman, H.M., A closed-form Solution for Laminar Film Condensation from Quiescent Pure Vapours on Curved Vertical Walls, Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer, 73 (2014), pp. 834-838
- Kim, S., Lee, Y.-G., Jerng, D.-W., Laminar Film Condensation of Saturated Vapor on an Isothermal Vertical Cylinder, Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer, 83(2015), pp. 545-551
- Shu, J-J., Laminar Film Condensation Heat Transfer on a Vertical, non-isothermal, semi-infinite Plate, Arab J. Sci. Eng., 37 (2012), pp.1711-1722
- Patankar, S. V., Sparrow, E. M., Condensation on an Extended Surface, J. of Heat Transfer, 100 (1979), pp. 434- 440.
- Faghri, M., Sparrow, E.M., Parallel Flow and Counter Flow on an internally-cooled Tube, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 23 (1980), pp. 559-56
- Chen, H.T., Chang, S.M., Thermal Interaction between Laminar Film Condensation and Forced Convection along a Conducting Wall, Acta Mechanica, 118 (1996), pp. 13-26
- Méndez, F., Treviño, C., Film Condensation Generated by a Forced Cooling Fluid, European Journal of Mechanics Fluids, 15 (1996), pp. 217-240
- Bautista, O., Méndez, F., Treviño, C., Graetz Problem for the Conjugated Conduction-Film Condensation Process, Thermophysics and Heat Transfer,14 (2000), pp. 96-102
- Luna, N., Méndez, F., Film Condensation Process Controlled by a Darcy Cooling Fluid Flow, Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, 18 (2004), pp. 388-394
- Poulikakos, D., Interaction between Film Condensation on One Side of a Vertical Wall and Natural Convection on the Other Side, J. of Heat Transfer 108, (1986), pp. 560-566
- Char, M.-H., Lin, J.-D., Conjugate Film Condensation and Natural Convection between Two Porous Media Separated by a Vertical Wall, Acta Mechanica, 148 (2001), pp. 1-15
- Mosaad, M., Natural Convection in a Porous Medium Coupled Across an Impermeable Vertical Wall with Film Condensation, Heat and Mass Transfer, 22 (1999), pp. 23-30.