International Scientific Journal
INTENSIVE EVAPORATION AND BOILING OF A HETEROGENEOUS LIQUID DROPLET WITH AN EXPLOSIVE DISINTEGRATION IN HIGH-TEMPERATURE GAS AREA
The using of the high-speed (not less than 105 frames per second) video recording tools (“Phantom”) and the software package ("TEMA Automotive") allowed carrying out an experimental research of laws of intensive vaporization with an explosive disintegration of heterogeneous (with a single solid nontransparent inclusion) liquid droplet (by the example of water) in high-temperature (500-800 K) gases (combustion products). Times of the processes under consideration and stages (liquid heat-up, evaporation from an external surface, bubble boiling at internal interfaces, growth of bubble sizes, explosive droplet breakup) were established. Necessary conditions of an explosive vaporization of a heterogeneous droplet were found out. Mechanisms of this process and an influence of properties of liquid and inclusion material on them were determined.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2015-04-18
PAPER REVISED: 2015-10-05
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2015-10-24
PUBLISHED ONLINE: 2015-11-15
, VOLUME 20
, ISSUE Issue 2
, PAGES [541 - 553]
- Xiao, X.K., Cong, B.H., Wang, X.S., Kuang, K.Q., Yuen, Richard K.K., Liao, G.X., On the Behavior of Flame Expansion in Pool Fire Extinguishment with Steam Jet, Journal of Fire Sciences, 29 (2011), 4, pp. 339-360.
- Yao, B., Cong, B.H., Experimental Study of Suppressing Poly(methyl methacrylate) Fires Using Water Mists, Fire Safety Journal, 47 (2012), pp. 32-39.
- Tang, Z., Fang, Z., Yuan, J.P., Merci, B., Experimental Study of the Downward Displacement of Fire-induced Smoke by Water Spray, Fire Safety Journal, 55 (2013), pp. 35-49.
- Joseph, P., Nichols, E., Novozhilov, V., A Comparative Study of the Effects of Chemical Additives on the Suppression Efficiency of Water Mist, Fire Safety Journal, 58 (2013), pp. 221-225.
- Volkov, R.S., Kuznetsov, G.V., Strizhak, P.A., Influence of Solid Inclusions in Liquid Drops Moving through a High Temperature Gaseous Medium on Their Evaporation, Technical Physics, 59 (2014), 12, pp. 1770-1774.
- Volkov, R.S., Kuznetsov, G.V., Strizhak, P.A., The Influence of Initial Sizes and Velocities of Water Droplets on Transfer Characteristics at High-temperature Gas Flow, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 79 (2014), pp. 838-845.
- Volkov, R.S., Kuznetsov, G.V., Strizhak, P.A., Experimental Investigation of Mixtures and Foreign Inclusions in Water Droplets Influence on Integral Characteristics of Their Evaporation During Motion Through High-temperature Gas Area, International Journal of Thermal Science, 88 (2015), pp.193-200.
- Gao, Q., Wang, H.P., Shen, G.X., Review on Development of Volumetric Particle Image Velocimetry, Chinese Science Bulletin, 58 (2013), 36, pp.4541-4556.
- Kawaguchi, T., et al., Size Measurements of Droplets and Bubbles by Advanced Interferometric Laser Imaging Technique, Measurement Science and Technology, 13 (2002), pp. 308-316.
- Akhmetbekov, Y.K., Alekseenko, S.V., Dulin, V.M., Markovich, D.M., Pervunin, K.S., Planar Fluorescence for Round Bubble Imaging and Its Application for the Study of an Axisymmetric Two-phase Jet, Experiments in Fluids, 48 (2010), 4, pp. 615-629.
- Zhang, X.B., Xiang, S.J., Cao, X.L., Qiu, L.M., Effects of Surface Tension on Bubble Growth in an Extensive Uniformly Superheated Liquid, Chinese Science Bulletin, 56 (2011), 30, pp. 3191-3198.
- Aoki, J., Hayashi, K., Tomiyama, A., Mass Transfer from Single Carbon Dioxide Bubbles in Contaminated Water in a Vertical Pipe, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 83 (2015), pp. 652-658.
- Santangelo, P.E., Experiments and Modeling of Discharge Characteristics in Water-mist Sprays Generated by Pressure-swirl Atomizers, Journal of Thermal Science, 21 (2012), 6, pp. 539-548.
- Varaksin, A.Yu., Fluid Dynamics and Thermal Physics of Two Phase Flows: Problems and Achievements, High Temperature, 51 (2013), 3, pp. 377-407.
- Strizhak, P.A., Influence of Droplet Distribution in a "Water Slug" on the Temperature and Concentration of Combustion Products in Its Wake, Journal of Engineering Physics and Thermophysics, 86 (2013), 4, 895-904.
- Kuznetsov, G.V., Strizhak, P.A., Numerical Investigation of the Influence of Convection in a Mixture of Combustion Products on the Integral Characteristics of the Evaporation of a Finely Atomized Water Drop, Journal of Engineering Physics and Thermophysics, 87 (2014), 1, pp. 103-111.
- Kuznetsov, G.V., Kuibin, P.A., Strizhak, P.A., Estimation of the Numerical Values of the Evaporation Constants of the Water Drops Moving in the High Temperature Gas Flow, High Temperature, 53 (2015), 2, pp. 254-258.
- Kuznetsov, G.V., Strizhak, P.A., Analysis of Possible Reasons for Macroscopic Differences in the Characteristics of the Ignition of a Model Liquid Fuel by a Local Heat Source and a Massive Heated Body, Russian Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 6 (2012), 4, pp. 498-510.
- Samarskii, A.A., The Theory of Difference Schemes, Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, USA, 2001.
- Kothandaraman, C., Subramanyan, S., Heat and Mass Transfer Data Book, Halsted Press/Wiley, Hoboken, New York, USA, 1975.
- Wong, H.Y., Handbook of Essential Formulae and Data on Heat Transfer for Engineers, Longman Group, United Kingdom, 1977.
- Vargaftik, N.B., Filipov, L.P., Tarzimanov, A.A., Totskii, E.E., Handbook of Thermal Conductivity of Liquids and Gases, CRC Press, Inc., Boca Raton, USA, 1994.