International Scientific Journal
THEORETICAL ANALYSIS AND EXPERIMENTAL VERIFICATION OF PARABOLIC TROUGH SOLAR COLLECTOR WITH HOT WATER GENERATION SYSTEM
The modeling of a parabolic trough collector with hot water generation system with a well-mixed type storage tank using a computer simulation program is presented in this paper. This is followed by an experimental verification of the model and an analysis of the experimental results. The maximum difference between the predicted and the actual storage tank water temperature values is found as 9.59% only. This variation is due to the difference between the actual weather during the test period compared to hourly values and the convection losses from the collector receiver, which were not constant as accounted by the computer simulation program. .
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2005-12-12
PAPER REVISED: 2006-01-18
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2006-03-15
, VOLUME 11
, ISSUE Issue 1
, PAGES [119 - 126]
- TERI Project Report No. 2000RT45, Survey of Renewable Energy in India, New Delhi: Tata Energy Research Institute, 2001, pp. 1-50.
- Morrison, G. L., Braun, J. E., System Modeling and Operation Characteristics of the Thermosiphon Solar Water Heater, Journal of Solar Energy, 34 (1985), pp. 389- 399.
- Oommen, R., Jayaraman, S., Development and Performance Analysis of Compound Parabolic Solar Concentrators with Reduced Gap Losses-Oversized Reflector, Energy Conversion and Management, 42 (2001), pp. 1379-1399.
- Kalogirou, S., Lloyd, S., Use of Solar Parabolic Trough Collectors for Hot Water Production in Cyprus- A feasibility study, Renewable Energy, 2 (1992), 2, pp. 117-124.
- Kalogirou, S., Use of Parabolic Trough Solar Energy Collectors for Sea-water Desalination, Applied energy, 60 (1998), pp. 65-88.
- May, E.K., Murphy, L.M., Performance Benefits of the Direct Generation of Steam in Line-Focus Solar Collectors, Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, 105 (1983), pp.126-133.
- Eduardo Zarza, Loreto Valenzuela, Javier Leon, Dieter Weyers, Martin Eickhoff, Markus Eck, The DISS Project: Direct Steam Generation in Parabolic Trough Systems. Operation and Maintenance Experience and Update on Project Status, Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, 124 (2002), pp. 126-133.
- Eduardo Zarza, Loreto Valenzuela, Javier Leon, Klaus Hennecke, Marcus Eck,Dieter Weyers, Martin Eickhoff, Direct Steam Generation in Parabolic Troughs: Final Results and Conclusions of the DISS Project, Energy, 29 (2004), pp. 635-644.
- Garcia-Rodriguez, L., Gomez-Camacho, C., Design Parameter Selection for a Distillation System Coupled to a Solar Parabolic Trough Collector, Desalination, 122 (1999 a), pp. 195-204.
- Garcia-Rodriguez, L., Gomez-Camacho, C., Thermoeconomic Analysis of a Solar Parabolic Trough Collector Distillation Plant, Desalination, 122 (1999 b), pp. 215-224.
- Arancibia-Bulnes, C.A., Cuevas, S.A., Modeling of the Radiation Field in a Parabolic Trough Solar Photocatalytic Reactor, Solar Energy, 76 (2004), pp. 615-622.
- Vivek Babu, G., Sharat, A., Nagaraju, J., Solar Decolorization of Rhodamine B Dye using Concentrating Collectors, SESI Journal, 12 (2002), 2, pp 73 -80.
- www.cleardomesolar.com, ClearDome Solar Systems Heating and Cooking Products, San Diego CA, USA, 2003.
- Valan Arasu, A., Sornakumar, T., Design and Simulation Analysis of a Parabolic Trough Solar Collector Hot Water Generation System, The Energy Journal, 6 (2005), 2, In Press.
- ASHRAE Standard 93, Method of Testing to Determine the Thermal Performance of Solar Collectors, American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers, Atlanta, GA, 1986.
- Tiwari, G.N., Solar Energy - Fundamentals, Design, Modelling and Applications, Narosa Publishing House, New Delhi, 2002.