International Scientific Journal
PERFORMANCE CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SOLAR PARABOLIC TROUGH COLLECTOR WITH HOT WATER GENERATION SYSTEM
The performance of a new parabolic trough collector hot water generation system with a well mixed hot water storage tank is investigated in the present work. The storage tank water temperature is increased from 35 °C at 9.30 h to 73.84 °C at 16.00 h when no energy is withdrawn from the storage tank. The average beam radiation during the collection period is 699 W/m2. The useful heat gain, the collector instantaneous efficiency, the energy gained by the storage tank water and the efficiency of the system as a whole are found to follow the variation of incident beam radiation as these parameters are strongly influenced by the incident beam radiation. The value of each of those parameters is observed to be maximum around noon, when the incident beam radiation is maximum.
PAPER SUBMITTED: 2005-09-15
PAPER REVISED: 2006-01-31
PAPER ACCEPTED: 2006-06-21
, VOLUME 10
, ISSUE Issue 2
, PAGES [167 - 174]
- Lippke, F., Direct Steam Generation in Parabolic Trough Solar Power Plants: Numerical Investigation of the Transients and the Control of a Once-through System, Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, 118 (1996), February, pp. 9-14.
- May, E.K., Murphy, L.M., Performance Benefits of the Direct Generation of Steam in Line-Focus Solar Collectors, Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, 105 (1983), May, pp. 126-133.
- Kalogirou, S., Lloyd, S. Use of solar parabolic trough collectors for hot water production in Cyprus. A feasibility study, Renewable Energy, 2 (1992), 2, pp. 117-124.
- Kalogirou, S., Lloyd, S., Ward, J., Eleftheriou, P., Design and Performance Characteristics of a Parabolic-Trough Solar-Collector System, Applied Energy, 47 (1994), pp. 341-354.
- Cohen, G. and Kearney, D., Improved parabolic trough solar electric system based on the SEGS experience, Proceedings of the ASES Annual Conference, Solar 94, 1994, pp. 147-150.
- Valan Arasu, A., Sornakumar, T., Design and Simulation Analysis of a Parabolic Trough Solar Collector Hot Water Generation System, The Energy Journal, 6 (2005), 2, In Press.
- Valan Arasu, A., Sornakumar, T., Performance characteristics of fibreglass parabolic trough solar collector system, Submitted to The Energy Journal.
- www.cleardomesolar.com. ClearDome Solar Systems Heating and Cooking Products, San Diego CA, USA, 2003.
- ASHRAE Standard 93. , Method of testing to determine the thermal performance of solar collectors. American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers: Atlanta, GA, 1986.
- Duffie, J. A., Beckman, W.A., Solar Engineering of Thermal Processes- 2nd edition, John Wiley, New York, 1991.
- Sukhatme, S.P., Solar Energy - Principles of thermal collection and storage- Second Edition, Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Limited, New Delhi, 1999.